AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am able to put my PC into suspend mode and I have the bios set to wake from USB, S3 mode. I'm using Windows XP pro and a Remote Wonder. I cannot get the PC to wake from suspend using the remote. This would be great if I could as I wouldn't have to leave the couch to put on my HTPC.

I've got MCE 2005 and the MS remote on the way as I'm hoping it will have a more consistant signal via the IR vs the Remote Wonders RF. So if anyone's been able to get either of these remotes to wake their PC I'd really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You need a USB device that's capable of sending the special wake up command. I have the USB-UIRT and it does this.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the USB IR reciever that comes with the new Microsoft MCE Remote be used as USB-UIRT?

My guess is it would work. I think the reason the remote wonder doesn't work is that it's software based and does not seem to be active unless you are logged into windows. When I turn on my HTPC I have to use my mouse and click on my log in icon, once I'm to my desktop the remote wonder software loads and the remote is then active. When I go into suspend mode the log in screen comes back so the remote wonder is not active until I click back in to the desktop. My guess is I could set windows to not go to the log in screen, and that could help.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've got the old MCE 2004 remote doing this. I am certain the new ones will do the same also. You might want to see if your USB headers on the motherboard receive power when in standby. On my A7N8X-E motherboard, I had to set jumpers for a specific USB header to get standby power.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tbdombrosky
You need a USB device that's capable of sending the special wake up command. I have the USB-UIRT and it does this.
Do you have to do anything special?

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are two things special you need to do:

1) With USB-UIRT, you need to get it to learn the IR command that will wake up your machine. For that, you need Girder. There may be another way, but Girder is the simplest.

This is from memory, so pardon if I miss a detail or two. From within Girder, go to the USB-UIRT plugin configuration dialog. Select remote wakeup tab. From there, you can program the USB-UIRT with up to four commands that will wake up your PC.

Once learned, Girder isn't required to wakeup the machine (USB-UIRT does it). I'm guessing there probably is another way to get to the USB-UIRT config dialog. See http://www.usbuirt.com/. They are really responsive if you send them an email.

2) Some of the earlier versions of XP required a registry change to allow USB devices to wake from S3. Make sure you have this in your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\usb]

"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000

"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

Note, this may not be necessary with SP2, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
AFAIK, this is still needed with SP2. I just had to apply this patch to a MCE2005 install (which is based on SP2) to get the PC to go into S3 with the MCE Remote USB receiver.

-Jon

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi S1DIMMER

I can always wake up my standby computer by hitting a command key, like "Play" (using infrared keyboard or remote). But I don't know how to put it into Standby mode, can we trade notes here ?

SP1 or SP2 doesn't matter to my setup

pyro of the east

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by godavego
There are two things special you need to do:
Thanks, you fixed my USB keyboard not waking my PC. Now I've just got to see if my Streamzap can wake my HTPC from S3, should be interesing.:)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Gotta say that it was so great when I got resume from S3 working with the remote using a usb-uirt :) Changed my home theater life! That registry edit was indeed needed on my at-the-time SP1 box so I assume it still is needed though the description of what it does says otherwise.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received a new Maxtor 300GB 16MB of cache hard drive and an MS Media Center remote today. I plan on doing a slight rebuild of my HTPC. I've been a little under the weather the last day or so, so I haven't exactly felt like tearing open my HTPC to re-work it. I have two regrets 1. Using a P4 2.4 instead of a 3.0 and 2. Putting 512MB of ram in instead of a gig.

I'll have 1,000 GB of storage accross 4 drives now. Also I'll be adding an HDTV Wonder, and my old 4X Pioneer DVD burner. I have a new 108 in my gaming/workstation so the old 4X goes to the HTPC.

Hopefully by next week I'll have it all back together and running on MCE 2005 and I'll finally be able to test out the wake option. Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had good luck with a MCE2005 setup on a standard Dell motherboard and getting it to wake (via remote) from S3.

Unfortunately, it *also* wakes up when I don't want it to, and I'm not certain why yet -- in the middle of the night. I suspect MS might schedule a wake-up to collect EPG Guide data...

-Jon

·
Registered
335 Posts
jon_rhees,

Do you have BIOS set to wake on PCI network activity? With most BIOS, you can setup for "Wake on LAN" and/or "Wake on PCI." With Wake on LAN, there is a special packet that will wake the machine. With Wake on PCI, any directed network traffic to the machine will wake it up. I had my original HTPC (before it died a horrible death) setup this way. It was nice because it would sleep until someone tried to access it over the network. Then it would wake up. Unfortunately, it would sometimes wake up at night or at odd times. Plus, XP sets up links in your Network Neighborhood to all the machines it can find. Periodically, machines will see what's out there, and that will wake the machine up as well. When I rebuilt my HTPC, I turned Wake on PCI off this time.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:
2) Some of the earlier versions of XP required a registry change to allow USB devices to wake from S3. Make sure you have this in your registry:
I can't find the USB key under services with SP2 on XP. Does one have to create it?

I did find it under HKLM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\USB

More details on this mod please.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With MCE 2005 and the 2005 remote, I can suspend and wake up but the remote stops responding and I have to reboot to make it work.

Any known fixes for this?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
In my case, I cannot get my PC to stay in suspend mode. If I do a fresh reboot, and put it into suspend, it will suspend, all fans off, etc, for a few seconds, and then wake back up.

Then if I try to suspend it again, it goes dark and acts like it's going into suspend, but the fans never go off, and it wakes back up.

I turned off my wake on lan, so that's not it. It was suggested in another thread that it might be a USB device, so I disconnected my USB devices and that didn' t help either.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Good thread. Thanks for the info. guys. I was definitly under-utilizing my USB-UIRT! Also nice that the UIRT has 4- slots for different codes.

EDIT: Quick question though. Where are the S1 ... S3 sleep/standby/suspend state levels found and selected? I grasp their meaning but have not stumbled across them ever for some reason.

DFA

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.