AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the SXRD on the last day and it was only playing HD. That looked great, but was obviously handpicked stuff, no real test of what I'd usually watch. I have heard that earlier in the show they were playing some regular DVD (much more my norm) and it didn't look so great. Anyone actually see it, or even hear about it? If so, how was it? Color, blacks, artifacts, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They were playing a scene from Attack of the Clones - the three main characters were in an arena being attacked by strange creatures. I did not see, but heard later that the source was a faroudja machine - the one with a DVD player/scaler all in one with DVI output (e.g a very expensive Bravo D1) :D

I thought the picture was just OK - it was surprisingly sharp for a screen the size they were using, meaning the faroudja scaling was doing a good job. The scene was outdoors and fairly bright but interestingly no blacks and very little bright colors. It was a desert-type environment with muted colors.

I know the machine does black OK and colors well from the other material however. Just the scene they chose wasn't anything special IMHO and if that's all they showed I would have been VERY disappointed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dstroot
They were playing a scene from Attack of the Clones - the three main characters were in an arena being attacked by strange creatures. I did not see, but heard later that the source was a faroudja machine - the one with a DVD player/scaler all in one with DVI output (e.g a very expensive Bravo D1) :D

I thought the picture was just OK - it was surprisingly sharp for a screen the size they were using, meaning the faroudja scaling was doing a good job. The scene was outdoors and fairly bright but interestingly no blacks and very little bright colors. It was a desert-type environment with muted colors.

I know the machine does black OK and colors well from the other material however. Just the scene they chose wasn't anything special IMHO and if that's all they showed I would have been VERY disappointed.
What's your overall feeling about it? How about compared to one of the new 3-chip HD2 DLPs? Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I saw the SXRD playing the above mentioned DVD clip as well and I concur with drtroot's findings. The 3 chip DLP's I saw at Cedia all still felt like a work in process. I think it's just to soon to know anything concrete on any of these machines yet. It's frustrating.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Is it possible for dvd to look good on a huge screen? If dvd looks not so stellar on a good projector it might be because the projector shows the limits of the medium.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mattias, I've heard from a few people who watched Attack of the Clones and X-Men on DVD at Fox studios, blown up to 25 feet wide. They used a cinema-grade 3-chip DLP. They weren't told what the scaling equipment was (I can only guess a Teranex was involved), but they did say that aside from the lack of detail in long shots, the films looked "excellent".

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I only saw it the last day as well on all the HiDef stuff. I would comment that it was not good at dark black level. When you cut from one trailer to the next and it faded to black it actually faded to dark blue. None of the material they showed had low average picture levels. Sure they had black dresses and piano's etc but in high APL scenes where you get the optical illusion of black being darker than it actually is.

I'd imagine that on a really dark scene it's going to look pretty washed out. Even more so on a small screen (remember this was 13' wide).

Having said all that what they showed was really nice looking, if unrealistic. Definately something to watch.

Gordon

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Attack of the Clones" is TV (video, if you want) source, it's not from film. TV source always looks best on a TV (that's why Lucas wanted it shown DLP).. no matter how big the screen. Not a really good test.

Try it on a good film to TV transfer .. that will show the difference.

That said, I love my little X1, for what it is, not what I pretend it is .. but I also have a real 35mm film projection setup.

Ron Yost

·
Registered
280 Posts
The demo I saw also included the DVD AOTC clip. Based on the specs and most of what I had heard, I was almost convinced that this would likely be my next projector. However, I'm not sure what to think after seeing the DVD demo. Although I thought the HD demo was stunning, I was very disappointed in the DVD demo. The picture didn't seemed very sharp. It kind of reminded me a severe edge enhancement. There also seemed to be motion artifact, not seen on the HD demo. I was in the front row and it was a 160" screen. However, I believe that even allowing for that, it did not look very good. Most people state that their demo did not include a DVD. I was in the first demo, the first morning (Friday). I wonder if they stopped showing the DVD demo because of the quality.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marck
The demo I saw also included the DVD AOTC clip.
I'm surprised that the DVD didn't look better (from reports since I didn't see it), but I didn't see what their viewing ratio was. The arena scene looked awesome on my M20 D-ILA on my 116" wide Hi-Power at about 1.4x when run through TheaterTek with a Panamorph. Very close to some high def and probably better than some to my eyes.

Before the show when people were wondering if they would show any DVD material I said that they could halfway cheat by showing AOTC. My point was that this is a digital movie and should look awesome, but they wouldn't get accused of showing an animation even though many of us want to know what a film based DVD (not shot digitally) would look like. So, I'm surprised that AOTC didn't get better reviews on the SXRD.

--Darin

·
Registered
448 Posts
Marck - any DVD (native 720x480 i believe) will not look very sharp when blown up to a 160" screen - plus it's highly dependent on the scaler/deinterlacer, etc. Also hard to say if the artifacts you saw were projector issues or processor/scaler issues.

I was a few rows back and I thought it looked pretty damn good for DVD source.

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Marck - any DVD (native 720x480 i believe) will not look very sharp when blown up to a 160" screen".

Yes, I am very aware of that, particularly given that I was in the front row. However, I tried to take that into consideration, as much as possible. I watched the same movie/scene when I got home on my Marantz S2 and 106" screen (wide, not diagonal) at various viewing distances.

Given the great performance on the HD demo, I would still guess that this projector will do as good as, or better than, any other PJ option, with DVD. I was just suprised that this particular demo didn't convince me of this. I am still thinking this projector may be in my HT future. I am anxious to evaluate it more extensively or at least see a more complete review by someone who can spend more time with the final product.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Marck, how far back, in feet or alternatively in screen widths, would you say you were sitting at the SXRD demo? I know you said you were in the front row, and that the screen was 160". But that doesn't tell me enough to know how your seating position would compare to a normal home theater seutp.

I do know one thing, though: if DVD is scaled well, I find enjoy sitting pretty darn close to the screen with my LCOS projector. Not as close as HD, but still closer than many people like to sit. Not so with single-chip HD2 DLP (again, in my opinion). I find that I can't sit as close, because the screen door is too apparent.

So in other words, FOR ME: with DLP the projector dictates the seating distance; with LCOS, the souce material does. This really has the potential to trip people up with LCOS. You'll be drawn towards the screen when watching HD material to take it all in, only to be disappointed at that same distance for DVD material.

Maybe going to 1080p on DLP will make the screen door less apparent and the situation will be equalized.

I, too, look forward to further reviews on this puppy.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grant
I do know one thing, though: if DVD is scaled well, I find enjoy sitting pretty darn close to the screen with my LCOS projector. Not as close as HD, but still closer than many people like to sit.
I remember Mr. Wigggles posting that anybody sitting closer than 1.5x with DVD was sitting too close. My first thought when reading that was, "except for AOTC on an LCOS". That is one DVD that allows sitting much closer than others (except animations) on an LCOS, IMO.

And dstroot, as far an no DVD looking good when blown up to 160", it is the viewing ratio that matters, not the screen size itself. Screen size does matter for brightness and if you keep the same seating position, though.

--Darin

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Sony had a fairly large room set up for the SXRD demo. Since I usually sit in the front row in my theater and this is about 1.1 screen widths back I can estimate that the front row in the Sony demo exceeded that . I'm estimating a little less than 20'. I wish I had come away with more in the way of a definitive feeling about this PJ than I have. I want to see it in a show room and I want to select the demo material. I still think the Marantz 3 chip prototype had much more realistic color reproduction ( best in show) and the JVC LCOS prototype was easily as sharp ( although it may not have the light to do a screen like Sony had).

Art

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
1.1 screen widths? Art, you da man.

Hmm, if you're saying a bit less than 20', then it looks like the front row was 1.5x back. That's more than I thought it would be, given Marck's experience. Maybe the scaling wasn't that great.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
So I was in the same room and I'd put the front row much closer than 20' away. I'd put it more like 1.2x back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.