AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My concern is viewing angle and black level.

I have a lcd flat screen computer monitor and for text it is great but looks terrible for dvd playback.

If the movie has a lot of bright scenes it is ok but if it is a dark movie or if it is a dark scene it looks terrible.

Are these things getting better!!

They are expensive as Hell for a 20"

·
Registered
436 Posts
Alan,

I believe Nicholas Bedworth had reviewed the Samsung in the Perfect Vision for DVD viewing and was quite happy. I've used the Samsung on my desk as a computer display, and it was very nice, but I wasn't that impressed with the black level in a darkened room. But, oh, that resolution! (and the small amount of desktop real estate it took up.)

John

·
Registered
273 Posts
The new generation is much improved, but I am not sure they are ready for prime time entertainment viewing yet -- especially for the pricing. still too much motion artifact.

the black levels are also still too washed out relatively and have trouble with fine detail. again, much improved.

my guess: another year they will be ready.

ymmv.

george

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi fellows:

I've been using the Samsung 240T for months, and it is something else. Seems to have good black levels, absolutely ridiculous resolution, and when powered by the DVI input, sharpness that no analog-input CRT or plasma could ever match.

They also have just announced a consumer version of this device in 21 and 24" sizes with a built-in standard def tuner.

Nick

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Regarding the apple..Can it be used without the apple computer?

I dont see any other inputs on the thing. Am I missing something!
Alan,

You can you just need a DVI to ADC converter. More info here http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

If I recall correctly all ADC is is DVI, USB, and power rolled into a single wire/connection.

-apnar

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by apnar

Alan,

You can you just need a DVI to ADC converter. More info here http://www.apple.com/displays/adapter.html

If I recall correctly all ADC is is DVI, USB, and power rolled into a single wire/connection.

-apnar
Or go to www.dviator.com. They have the cable and power supply to do it. I picked one up from Clubmac.com for $149 and am currently running my 22" Cinema Display off my PC with a GeForce4 card.

Looks great!

Wazoo

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Wazoo

How are the blacks during a dark scene?
Whelp... unfortunately I do not have a DVD drive on my PC.... so if the question is how are the blacks coming from the PC... I cannot answer it.

However, as soon as I reconnect it to my G4, I'll pop in a DVD and check it out.

You will, however, need to take my opinion with a grain of salt because I an kinda new to the high-end HT realm and thus my reference points are questionable. ;)

Wazoo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.