AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dilema is the purchase of the flat panel I want and using it in our family/ media room. I'm fairly set on one of the 1080p 54" Panny plasmas and my wife already bought a great entertainment center to set it on top of. It's a lowboy type and sits in front of windows (no wall mounting) and in easy reach of my 20 month old son. I'm scared to place it there for fear it and he will be damaged if toppled over. He already messes with our current tube TV sitting there.

My thought is whether I could just drill some holes into the stand that comes with the plasma and then screw it to the solid wood top of the ent. center. I don't want to break the stand and will otherwise likely have to wait a few years when he's older. Anyone try this or have any other ideas?

here's a close enough pic of what I have (mine sits about 20 inches tall)

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Sure, you could drill through the plastic mount base and use screws/lag screws or bolts and plastic washers and some black paint, and all set. I wouldn't think necesaary though, the tvs are pretty heavy and the stands pretty solid. Unless they grap the top of the tv, I wouldn't think it's gonna go anywhere.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I think if you look at the base it will have built in ancor points.

With mine you could place 2 screws into the cabinet, slip the base over the keyholes and place another screw thru the base at the rear.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,116 Posts
I can't imagine drilling holes in the top of a new entertainment cabinet which you may want to use for other purposes in the future. Wall mount it just above the cabinet. Grab a inexpensive wall mount for less than $50 and not worry about it tipping over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would think you could also just do like they do with tall bookcases, and mount a screw in the wall behind the tv, and attach a cloth/wire strip from it to the tv. This would stop the tv from toppling over. Works for tall, thin furniture.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
You could fabricate a piece of angle bracket or something and screw that into the rear edge of the cabinet top. Would never be seen.

That's what I would do. Similar to a mirror brace on a dresser.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I need to travel to a store that sells the model I want to get a good look at the stand. BB only carries the lower-end panny plasmas here.

CaryB,

It sits in front of 3 windows so wall mounting isn't an option.

Midlif,

That was my first thought too, but the rear of the entertainment center is made of some type of 1/4" thin fake wood that wouldn't hold anything.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The TV base itself will probably come with the hardware to attach it to the stand, as long as you don't go crazy and drill 2 smallish hole and use machine screws with washers you probably won't muck up the stand that much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.