AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I was going to post this in the Samsung HLP thread, but it's hit 61 pages and climbing so I figured a new thread sounded fun...

So! Is anyone else out there awaiting the arrival of the xHD3 based Samsung DLP's? 1080p is making me excited! There was a little blurb about it over at Audioholics but that was a while back... anyone have any news or specs?

Even if you have no information, anyone joining the waiting group?

- D

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Samsung should unveil more xHD3 DLP models at CES in January. It looks like they'll command a $800-$1200 premium over current HD2+ 720p models.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am trying to wait for the new xhd3. I bit on Samsung's hook and was waiting for the November introduction of the 97 series. :-(

The color on our 1991 36" Mitsubishi set has deteriorated. We really need a new set. It appeared to be a done deal - xhd3 in November or December. The spectre of a premium price didn't scare us.

Now, I have started to think about Mitsubishi's DLP and some of the LCD's. Unfortunately, none of these options have the 1080p resolution that the 97 series is promising. Perhaps we can wait; perhaps we can't.

Samsung should not have announced that these sets would be available in November! I will believe that they can and will deliver when I see the sets on the floor.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The most important reason to wait is the fact that the Samsung xHD3 will be the lowest price 1080p set out there and will have the highest contrast ratio of any DLP out there. Does anyone know if Samsung will break down and offer Firewire on this set?

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Yes. I have bought a hlp 6163 (which I like very much--my first HD tv!) but with the agreement that I can return it for full price toward a 6197 when they come out. If the PQ is noticeably better, that is what I will do. I even considered swapping the 6163 for a Mits 62725, when does seem to have a slightly sharper picture, but I can't stand the Mits screen, and the Mits' seem to have lots of 'issues'; I've have 0! problems with my 6163. (And Samsung's screens are wonderful!) So I am going to stand pat until the 6197 (table top model) is available.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jjesusfreak01
Not thinking about waiting. None of the xhd3 sets will fit in the space I have.
I also would like to see some dimension info if you have it. I am looking at possibly getting a 6197 provided it is no larger than the 6163. The 6163 will fit my space like a glove with no room to spare.

Marty

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to be off topic but I was watching discovery HD show "World's biggest ships" on my DLP tv. One monster ship Hanjin was carrying 60,000 HDTV units from korea to Long Beach port. I am sure there are some HD2+ and may be xHD3 sets in one of those containers :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jagman2010
Not to be off topic but I was watching discovery HD show "World's biggest ships" on my DLP tv. One monster ship Hanjin was carrying 60,000 HDTV units from korea to Long Beach port. I am sure there are some HD2+ and may be xHD3 sets in one of those containers :)
NERD!!! and I love it!

- D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by martynic
I also would like to see some dimension info if you have it. I am looking at possibly getting a 6197 provided it is no larger than the 6163. The 6163 will fit my space like a glove with no room to spare.

Marty
The 1080 sets shown at the last show had the form factor of the 74 sets, so it is likely they will be smaller than the 63 series. Probably no borders.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm familiar with the tech differences between the DLP and LCOS sets but was wondering if price is the main reason you are so clearly sold on the Samsung? The Qualia 006 sounds like a good alternative assuming price differences aren't prohibitive?? Thanks,

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1080p and 1980x1080 resolution for PC's are two of the biggest points for me.

but the most important one, and this is bare none the most important to me.

IT HAS TO BE TABLE TOP. I don't understand it.. if Samsung can make TV's like that, then what the hell is in that spacing in all the other tv's? is it just a built in stand? what the hecks in there :p, either way I hate the way those tv's look, and samsung doesn't do that, it's just the screen basically, which is awesome.

- D

·
Registered
405 Posts
xHD3... the announcement in Jan at CES will that be for other sizes besides 63 inch? I want a 50 or 56 incher for my TV room. But I only want the BEST picture possible. No comprimises. Is the Sammy the way to go or should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks.

Curtis

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
The proto-type xhd3 units shown at the CES this past Jan, and in NYC in May, were in the chasis of a hlp/hln 61" set. That is what the 6197 will presumably be, but more recently it has been reported that the first xhd3 set will be a 56" pedestal one (much to my disappointment!).

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cue03
I want a 50 or 56 incher for my TV room. But I only want the BEST picture possible. No comprimises.
Check out the Sim2 DLP then. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.