AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im on vacation and decided to take in a movie. Went to one of those megaplexes with the stadium seating and curved screen. The sound was so bad, I couldnt wait to get out of there. It was way too loud, like they were trying to blow my hair back with the sound waves. My wife said something to me about it before I could complain to her. And the audio separation was so distinct, OVERDONE, and awful, that it didnt even seem to be part of the film.

I felt like I was in a stereo store and some teenage salesman was trying to show me how much the speakers could handle without blowing. This was the worst cinema exerience I have ever been to, and all in the name of technical advancement. It was as if the "CINEMA EXPERIENCE" was more important than the film itself. Rather than make the film more realistic, the audio kept us constantly and completely aware that we were sitting in an auditorium and NOT part of a movie.

I even complained to the manager 5 minutes into the film about the volume level, to no avail. This was the movie equivalent of being at a stoplight when the car 3 spots behind you is rattling your windows with his 15" sub and all you're doing is looking around saying "what is that". It will be a long time before I waste my money like this again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For my wife and me to see a movie costs around $12.00...I've decided that it is better for us to just wait until the movie comes out on DVD an buy it. For roughly the same price, we can own the film. Of course, we may or may not like the film, but at least we get more than chewing gum stuck to the soles of our shoes for $12. :) Around me, the theaters are decent...though I believe my home setup is actually better as far as quality of sound goes.

Eric

·
Registered
275 Posts
I went to see Chicago at a local theater about a month ago. The surround speakers were out so some genius decided to crank the main speakers way up to compensate. The sound crackled all the way through the film. Really takes the enjoyment out of a musical.

However, I've learned not to complain about such experiences (except in comiserate company as we have here) because - believe it or not - my wife thoroughly enjoyed it. She enjoyed the film and says she didn't even notice the painfully overcranked sound... it literally hurt my ears at times.

Home theater has ruined the local cinema experience for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Home theater has ruined the local cinema experience for me."

I guess home theater has done the same to me. I paid 15 to get in and would also rather have owned the movie. And lets not get into the SEVEN previews prior to the film starting. The film was ANGER MANAGEMENT, at least I was able to say "Guz faba" to calm down! Didnt think anything could ruin a Jack Nicholson flick for me.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I only plan to see X-Men, Matrix 2+3, LOTR, and maybe The Hulk in theaters this year. The first three only because I know I can't wait till DVD to see them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is no denying that there are a lot of theaters out there that have teeny boppers running the projectors & sound system for other teeny boppers. Notice what percentage of the patrons are teeny boppers.

However, if you can find a theater that has more responsible mgt., it can be a very enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My experience has been it depends on the Theater and the movie. I to have decided not to go to Theaters to often unless they are in one particular new Theater here, which was one of the vfew digital Theaters Star Wars was released in. They have invested in quality sound and do not over drive the volume like many Theaters. I have to say I went to see Tears of the Sun there and it was impressive and a fun surround experience. I more often wait for the DVD and watch at home. Partially due to the fact I have such an investment in my HT. I feel some movies just have to be seen a the "Big Screen" for the emotional involvement of being there for opening nite of a "blockbuster must see". Unfortunately there are less and less of these being produced anymore. Shame on the actors and studios for deciding on quantity and not quality of some movies being produced anymore. I much prefer my own projector, digital surround and popcorn machine these days. Let's just hope satellite invests to give us more choices in true hi def viewing for movie channels soon.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Pirates of the Carribean

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Return of the King

The only 3 movies I'll see in a theater this year. Acutally, RotK may be early next year. Everything else can wait for DVD. I cannot stand going out to the movie theaters any more. Picture is usually bad, sound is terrible and the people, the worst part.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
here in chicgo area the only theaters i will goto are the cinemark in melrose park!!!very nice theaters..sound and picture is awesome.even my wife loves it..i do tend to wait more for the dvd to come out though because i find the prices at these multiplexs crazy!!!

brickie

·
Registered
161 Posts
Heh heh. That is funny...if the wife likes it, it MUST be good. Magazines should start using wives to rate home theater equipment...if the wife actually notices an improvement, that's where your money should go. :D

Eric

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't know if the counts, when in Seattle last week on business, went to the IMAX to see Titanic (3-D). Great movie and a great theater.

Don

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless they tried to sell you ten bucks worth of popcorn and soda, it doesnt count.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
In my area there simply aren't any good theaters. We only have multiplexes with really poor sound quality or old theaters with really poor sound quality.

I'm with Toxarch - I'll go see some movies anyway because I can't wait for them to come out on DVD (e.g., Return of the King) but with two tickets and a medium popcorn, I can buy the DVD and my home theater is MUCH better than "real" theaters within a reasonable travel distance from where we live...

wdcoy: The Cinerama in Seattle is really a great theater too! I usually end up in Seattle at least once per year and if there is a reasonable movie playing there, I go see it, even if I own the DVD!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
When I *have* to go to the movies: for example I *have* to go see Matrix 2 and RotK, I go to the Arclight complex in LA.

It's about 1/2 way between Beverly Hills and Hollywood, and they have a plan... Firstly they charge twice as much as the multiplex a couple of blocks away --- this keeps the riff-raff out. Secondly they use the extra cash to provide wonderful facilities, they have a cinerama dome too.

They also rerun movies with Q&A sessions. This month they are doing the Jack Ryan movies - each followed by a Q&A with someone from the production, - the producers, screenwriters etc.

They also host a wide variety of film festivals.

Being as I prefer the home theater experience to the commerical theaters generally, when I have to go - I really don't mind the 60 mile drive and the high prices, as you can be sure the floor will not be sticky, there will be no screaming kids, annoying people, cell phones, bad projection etc, oh - and they don't show commericals either.

- Rick

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well here are the highlights of the last couple of years of going out to a theater. Keep in mind that I only average about 5 or 6 theater trips a year.

AI – Sound turned off as movie began. Had to leave theater and find manager to turn sound back on.

The Hours – The curtains were covering about two feet on each side of the screen. Had to get up, find the drawstring and open them.

LOTR, The Two Towers– In an empty theater a large group of teens sat directly in front of me in the next row. Had to get up and move. But even worst, the print was the poorest I had ever seen in my life (United Artists – Eagle Highland 10, now a Regal Theater - same name). From beginning to end something was seriously wrong with some part of the print.

Sum of all Fears – Two people sitting behind me talking through the entire movie. What did he say? Why is he doing that? What did I miss? I seem to remember him dying the first time I saw the movie! And so on.

Holes – Some kid throwing up repeatedly starting in the middle of the movie. Thank god for popcorn buckets. Apparently mom and dad didn’t want to miss any of the show. I will have to get the DVD to see how it ended.

The general rule for me is that if the movie is not a visual event, I will see it only on DVD.

BHorn

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't been to a movie theater yet this year and the nearest multiplex is only about five miles from my home. Last year I went and saw "Spiderman".

The only thing that appeals to me about a movie theater is the big screen. My TV is a 32" and I'm thinking about buying a 34" widescreen HDTV. I can't really go much bigger than a 36" TV due to room size.

Frankly, I think the movie theaters are overpriced for what you get by the time you buy your ticket(s) and snacks. They may have a big screen, but my HT sounds much better. I have more comfort at home. If I need to get something to eat or drink or need to use the bathroom that pause button on my DVD player is a great thing and I don't have to miss any of the movie. I actually do enjoy some of the special features on the DVDs and I don't consider the movie trailers either on the DVDs or at the theater to be "special".

Personally, I think the multiplexes are designed as a place for teenagers to hang out, socialize, etc. much as were drive-in theaters way, way back when I was a teen. I wonder how long it will take the multiplexes to become extinct?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
just a quick note..i see the commercials bother many...are they really that bad?i don't mind them personally.the more trailers the better..i show them at home before movies and have not had any complaints.

brickie

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've not been to the movies since 007 last year. Matrix is the only movie I have on my radar for this year. Discovering this hobby has really spoiled me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Moe

Quote:
Originally posted by MS
Unless they tried to sell you ten bucks worth of popcorn and soda, it doesnt count.
I was supervised, but the did sell popcorn and soda, a regular snack bar. I didn't buy.

Don

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
I live in a big city (Toronto) and have many theaters available, luckily.

I agree with one thing: movie sound in the theaters has become WAY TOO LOUD! It is assaultive...I have a hard time forgetting it because it often so overwhelms the visuals. Unfortunately, the entire next generation is being raised to consider these sound levels "normal," so we're in a world of hurt on that count.

Aside from that, if the theater isn't blasting the sound, I prefer everything about the cinema experience over any home cinema. I just watched Attack Of The Clones on a cost-no-object front projection home cinema ($15,000 screen, full Wilson speaker surround - Grand Slamms for the L + R channel...you get the idea).

It was really cool, but felt a little "sterile" compared to seeing it in a theater, were strangers are brought together to experience the same event. The home theater thing pushed my gadget button, but I was much more affected and involved by seeing my last movie in a cinema.

I was studying to Direct films at one point (shot a few) and always envisioned the collective attention of a large audience, the way tension, release, excitement buzzes in the air with a large group, as opposed to a couple people in their PJs at home.

I guess it boils down to the fact I appreciate the social content of the cinema experience, enough to overlook the inevitable quirks that happen in public spaces.

Rich H.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.