AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here bought cables on-line from The Cable Company - High End audio, Video & speaker cables from The Cable company ? If so, how was your experience - did you get what you ordered by the stated delivery date? How long ago did you order your stuff? Has anyone had anything delivered from the web store to a Canadian address? How did that go?

Their website looks pretty good from what I've seen so far. I really like that you can specify both the lengths and how to have the cables terminated at both ends. Price isn't a huge factor for me as I'm not planning on spending a lot on cables. But, then again, I hate getting ripped off, so please let me know if you think their pricing is outrageous (for what you get compared to other retailers).

I might be looking soon to get a pair of 10 feet speaker cables and like an 8 - 10 foot analog interconnect cable. The cables would be for some pretty high end gear, so I want to get something higher quality than the very basic stuff, but also not anything outrageously expensive either.

Thanks!
JD

·
Registered
907 Posts
Oh boy, get the popcorn out.
Find yourself oxygen free wire, it's everywhere, but read the fine print! Lots of crap out there too being passed-off as OFC.
Do not use CCA (copper clad aluminum).
Use whatever you like on the ends.
Some of my stuff has banana plugs which makes things easy.
My larger stuff has SpeakOn. Love that stuff!

It's your money, spend it how you like. I would rather make my own cables and take the money I saved and buy some more concerts on Blue Ray...........

·
Registered
3,207 Posts

They had me at quantum fuse! A purple one for only 190 bucks---purchase with confidence.

Thanks for the entertainment, I always find the claims of snake oil to be very amusing. :)

Every time I see that sort of BS, I am thankful for my Physics II teacher in High School.... he was a total pain in the butt butt I did eventually understand the angry pixies as they dances through curcuits.... don't make the pixies angry!

In short, I would not buy anything from snake oil companies, I strongly advise you to pass on it yourself. Since I'm lazy, I purchased a spool of cable years ago, bought a dozen connectors and was done with it.

If you want really cool connections--not required but they are twist-lock type, do as the ****** does and use SpeakOns. I can vouch for them, I connect pro amps to subwoofers with SpeakOns and even demonic childred can't figure out how to pull the cables out.

Hope that helps.... now I ponder purple fuses.... fuses? Wow! As the Aussies would say "Yeah, Nah!"

If you want someone else to make cables for you, Blue Jeans Cable has very little oil and they make custom lengths and even SpeakOns if you like. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
No and never will. Overpriced for any gear.
Good luck.

Oh my! Another SOS!
I've never slept with my cables, but I'm going to put that on my bucket list next to a threesome.

A back story is in order: Jerry took a 2 week intensive course on health with a holistic doctor. One segment dealt with the deleterious effects of EMF on the body and a discussion of a circuit to reduce EMF. As Jerry commented,

"I went home and built a few prototypes, put them next to my bed side and slept with them, lo and behold I had the best sleep of my life and my dreams were so vivid - I just felt good. I then decided to take the devices and place them on my preamp just to see if it made a difference and I've got to say it absolutely floored me how much better my system sounded."

·
Registered
908 Posts
It's always interesting to think about whether these people are true believers or know they're snake-oil salesmen. Disturbingly, or I suppose hearteningly from a moral perspective, I think it's more often the former than the latter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey - thanks everyone so far for their .... um .... participation.

If anyone out there can buck up the courage to walk the apparent "gauntlet of shame" to let me know if they've ever actually bought anything from this retailer and how they would rate that experience, I'd really appreciate it.

How about I go first - if it turns out the website is legit and this retailer has been reliable with other forum goers, I may buy a few of the cheaper (I know, I know, it's all relative, etc.) Audioquest cables from them. I think it would be very convenient for me to be able to just order in exactly (lengths and terminations) the cables I want.

Of course, also, if you know for a fact this actual retailer itself is a scam - please do let me know.

Hopefully, asking these types of questions about a retailer on here is on-side? I'm definitely not a forum etiquette expert.

Cheers,
JD

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Hey - thanks everyone so far for their .... um .... participation.

If anyone out there can buck up the courage to walk the apparent "gauntlet of shame" to let me know if they've ever actually bought anything from this retailer and how they would rate that experience, I'd really appreciate it.

How about I go first - if it turns out the website is legit and this retailer has been reliable with other forum goers, I may buy a few of the cheaper (I know, I know, it's all relative, etc.) Audioquest cables from them. I think it would be very convenient for me to be able to just order in exactly (lengths and terminations) the cables I want.

Of course, also, if you know for a fact this actual retailer itself is a scam - please do let me know.

Hopefully, asking these types of questions about a retailer on here is on-side? I'm definitely not a forum etiquette expert.

Cheers,
JD
Even if anyone has, no one will admit it.

As far as being legit, you’re basically asking which psychic personality is legitimate.

Advice? Stay away from any company that sells speaker cables for $50,000.00. If they’re willing to rip you off for that much money, they they wont stop with the less expensive stuff either.

Monoprice, bluejean cables, crutchfield are all good companies to get wire/cables from.

Another option is to have some fun and make your own. There is PLENTY of great wire out there…theres also a few good youtube videos as well on how to do it and do it right.

There are MANY threads here on the forum that warn against “snake oil” and companies like this. To say people have been warned is an understatement…..

Reactions: M4BGRINGO

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
They're speaker cables, not anything special. Any decent speaker cable of the sufficient gauge will work. There's no reason to spend a lot of money on expensive boutique cables when there will be no audible difference. None.

There are many members on this website with thousands and thousands of dollars invested in their audio setup that don't buy expensive cables. If speaker cables actually made a difference, wouldn't they spend a few hundred more to get the best out of their system?

For the money, I go with BlueJeans Cable. Not because there is a sonic difference, but because they carry high quality cables that are very well built.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're speaker cables, not anything special. Any decent speaker cable of the sufficient gauge will work. There's no reason to spend a lot of money on expensive boutique cables when there will be no audible difference. None.

There are many members on this website with thousands and thousands of dollars invested in their audio setup that don't buy expensive cables. If speaker cables actually made a difference, wouldn't they spend a few hundred more to get the best out of their system?

For the money, I go with BlueJeans Cable. Not because there is a sonic difference, but because they carry high quality cables that are very well built.
Thanks for the alternative, BlueJeans suggestion. The website (Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices), on the one hand, from the perspective of "polish" isn't all that confidence inspiring, but on the other hand, maybe they just concentrate on building good cables rather than presentation/marketing, which may be a good sign. I see they will ship to Canada too.

I am severely and completely un-handy. DIY cables are just not an option for me, even if I had the inclination, LOL.

As I said before, I would still like to consider the Cable Co. as an option if they are an honest retailer in regards to legitimately selling and delivering the products advertised (And not from the perspective of whether or not any cable priced beyond some nominal dollar amount is snake-oil. I don't think every product sold on Amazon is legitimate or a rational purchase, but that doesn't stop me from buying other stuff on there regardless). But I'd want some positive word-of-mouth feedback before I take that leap on a web retailer I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
The Cable Company has a very shady return policy. They will only accept returns on speaker cable that is 8 ft long. But many of their items are over or under that length. They don't consider them standard and you won't be able to return them. Also service is very slow. Even though they show a wide selection many items are not in stock. I've had a few friends use them they told me to stay away. Personally I use my local dealers. If I'm interested they give me a free loan. If you're interested in speaker cable or interconnects try a local dealer or some of the other cable companies mentioned on this tread. Also Audiogon and US Audio Mart which sell used cable. :) 🤙

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Thanks for the alternative, BlueJeans suggestion. The website (Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices), on the one hand, from the perspective of "polish" isn't all that confidence inspiring, but on the other hand, maybe they just concentrate on building good cables rather than presentation/marketing, which may be a good sign. I see they will ship to Canada too.

I am severely and completely un-handy. DIY cables are just not an option for me, even if I had the inclination, LOL.

As I said before, I would still like to consider the Cable Co. as an option if they are an honest retailer in regards to legitimately selling and delivering the products advertised (And not from the perspective of whether or not any cable priced beyond some nominal dollar amount is snake-oil. I don't think every product sold on Amazon is legitimate or a rational purchase, but that doesn't stop me from buying other stuff on there regardless). But I'd want some positive word-of-mouth feedback before I take that leap on a web retailer I'm not familiar with.
Try one small order and see how the company performs.

·
Registered
907 Posts

Seriously? I have been taking things apart and eventually putting them back together since I was walking.
Ok, not everyone is like that.
But come-on, try it!
Get some cable and banana plugs from Amazon and give it a try.
You will need a small screwdriver and a pair of wire cutters. If you don't have those, Home Depot, Lowes, almost any hardware store, or Amazon can supply them.
Spend $20-$30 in materials, give it a shot. If you don't like the outcome, fine, hang it on the wall as an example of what not do to, then buy some pre-made.

There is all you need to make a pair of speakers cables. Now, I don't know how long you need to make them nor what kind of power you are sending to them. If you plan on more than 100 watts go for 14 gauge or if the length is greater than 20 feet go for 14 gauge. Too big will not hurt, too small can.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts

Why are you so dead set on this company that sells speaker wires/cables that are $10000+ in price?

If you have that kind of disposable income, i assume you are smart enough to know when you’re getting taken for a ride since you’re smart enough to be able to have that kind of money to waste.

The cablecompany is just like all other “high end” sellers of speaker cables…..voodoo hypnotists that promise something they cannot deliver for an exorbitant amount of money…hoping someone comes by and says “its super expensive, so it must be good”.

You seem to be wanting someone to tell you that they’re a good company, instead of getting the responses you’re getting, so you can go and waste money, so i will be that guy….

You should just get all your cables from them…they’re a great company.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
I digress. Here. This was taken straight from audioholics.

Watch out if a Cable Vendor or Manufacturer:

1. Promotes that their product allegedly eliminates audio related Skin Effect and/or "Strand Jumping" problems.

2. Claims revolutionary breakthrough in cable technology by polarizing or biasing the dielectric using a battery.

3. Promotes that their products eliminate "Audiogenic", "Diode Rectification" or any type of non linear distortions. See Debunking the Myth of Cable Distortion and Dielectric Biasing

4. Physically places (+) and (-) wire leads in separate dielectrics not closely spaced in a common jacket. See: Calculating Cable Inductance of Twin Feeder Cables

5. Claims vast improvements in sound by inserting "Cable Elevators" to raise the cables off the floor and minimize electron misfiring or static energy fields.

6. Claims that cryogenically freezing cables improves fidelity or measurably changes electrical properties after the cable is restored to room temperature.

7. Claims that their cables require a "Break In" period.

8. Claims that measurements cannot quantify why their designs are superior and often misapply engineering principles in their reasoning but abandon the associated governing laws and metrics that establish them.

9. Claims audible differences exist between stranded and non-stranded wires of same gauge rating, geometry and conductor spacing.

10. Claims audible differences between silver and copper cables of equal design geometry and gauge.

They didn’t say to be “skeptical”. They said to run.

You do what you want….i highly doubt anyone here will give you the advice you “want” to hear.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts

You're missing the focus on the website compared to the product being sold. As for terminating cables, it's one of the easiest things you can do. In reality, all you need is a pair of wire strippers. Then just practice on the cable. If you mess up, cut the cable and strip off a little more and try again.

As I said before, I would still like to consider the Cable Co. as an option if they are an honest retailer in regards to legitimately selling and delivering the products advertised (And not from the perspective of whether or not any cable priced beyond some nominal dollar amount is snake-oil.
It's your money to spend as you want. I'm not sure what the hesitancy is on buying from somewhere other than the Cable Co. Best of luck.

·
Registered
22,837 Posts
The OP's mind has been set already.
Warnings have been offered.

Spend your money and enjoy. (Don't expect support or tissues if something goes awry.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
The boldest claims often come from the people willing to lie to you- truth is constrained by reality, fiction is only constrained by imagination.

Here's the thing: I don't object to spending money on things that serve no practical purpose, people do it all the time. If it makes you feel good, and you're not going to hurt anyone or ruin yourself financially buying it, thumbs up. Yay capitalism.

What I dislike is things being sold under false pretenses. I bought my figurine collection with no expectation of a return on my investment or that they would have a function other than sitting on a shelf doing nothing. I did it because I just like having them and looking at them now and again. Nobody tried to convince me they'd guard against demons or help me lose weight or keep my house cleaner.

If cables are your thing, I say enjoy them. Heck, for the kind of money you're spending you may even get a sweet placebo effect off of them. If you're looking for an endorsement of your decision to buy from this company though, you're not going to get it from me: I don't agree with business models that exchange money for lies.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The boldest claims often come from the people willing to lie to you- truth is constrained by reality, fiction is only constrained by imagination.

Here's the thing: I don't object to spending money on things that serve no practical purpose: people do it all the time. If it makes you feel good, and you're not going to hurt anyone or ruin yourself financially buying it, thumbs up. Yay capitalism.

What I dislike is things being sold under false pretenses. I bought my figurine collection with no expectation of a return on my investment or that they would do anything other than sit on a shelf doing nothing. I did it because I just like having them and looking at them now and again. Nobody tried to convince me they'd guard against demons or help me lose weight or keep my house cleaner.

If cables are your thing, I say enjoy them. Heck, for the kind of money you're spending you may even get a sweet placebo effect off of them. If you're looking for an endorsement of your decision to buy from these people though, you're not going to get it from me: I don't like business models that exchange money for lies.
But didn't they? You don't want dusty figurines so I bet you clean much more than others........ ;)
Well, at least where the figurines are. My mother keeps her Hummel's very clean! :)
If they were in my house they may get hi-jacked by dust bunnies, too many 4-legged pets around here!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I cannot offer much help about The Cable Company, having purchased from them only one time in the latter 1990s. The order went well.

But I can recommend Blue Jeans Cable, having made many purchases from them starting about 15 years ago. Their audio and video cables are very high quality and they ship out orders very quickly. On one occasion I called them and the fellow who answered the telephone was very helpful.

Reactions: CharlesJ
1 - 20 of 94 Posts