AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
That's a great question there car audio subs are awesome as you know I wonder what They would do in a home theater room. The higher end series are pretty pricey with Huge magnets but the mid level subs might be pretty amazing in the right box. I haven't seen anything on avs with those subs. This is going to be a pretty interesting thread.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a sundown audio SIHT18 D4...:rolleyes: Their logo is moulded right into the magnet spacer...the only logo on the sub.

They are in some way a sister company to SI. I think SI may just be their home theater line.
My ht18 does too! I think Nick, the owner of SI works in their space or next door. The way the car guys beat on them it's amazing what they do. I was thinking to get one of their 8" sub's to build a mini ported bedroom sub.

·
Banned
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I have a sundown audio SIHT18 D4...:rolleyes: Their logo is moulded right into the magnet spacer...the only logo on the sub.

They are in some way a sister company to SI. I think SI may just be their home theater line.
Maybe Nick buys his magnets from Sundown?
I thought I read that somewhere.
Nick has some viscous Car subs as well, so I'm not sure that's the case.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Nick and Jacob are friends and business partners in real life. The exact nature of their relationship is their business but they certainly have a relationship between Sundown and SI. Think sundown as the car audio and SI as the home theater side of things. This has been known for a long time I thought. Only they could explain it better, but I am not sure it matters.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I'm waiting for my brother to finish up my lilmike's Cinema T-6 which will have a Sundown Audio E-10 in it. It's going to be used for music. Looking forward to hearing how it sounds! :)

You will like it a lot!! My daughter and I built the same T6 with an E10 for her room.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You will like it a lot!! My daughter and I built the same T6 with an E10 for her room.
I have 2 E-10's I am not using now, I will have to find the thread.

OP - The Sundown and SI drivers share many common parts and both are very durable quality drivers. The important thing to remember is the Sundown drivers are optimized for car use and the SI for home.
Both can cross over but the Sundown typically have a higher FS and stiffer suspension [optimized for vehicle] and the SI lower FS and softer suspension [better for a larger enclosure than a vehicle ~normally~ allows.]
The 11" SI shares quite a bit with the X/Z series Sundown drivers IIRC.

I gotta find this T6....:)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have 2 E-10's I am not using now, I will have to find the thread.

OP - The Sundown and SI drivers share many common parts and both are very durable quality drivers. The important thing to remember is the Sundown drivers are optimized for car use and the SI for home.
Both can cross over but the Sundown typically have a higher FS and stiffer suspension [optimized for vehicle] and the SI lower FS and softer suspension [better for a larger enclosure than a vehicle ~normally~ allows.]
The 11" SI shares quite a bit with the X/Z series Sundown drivers IIRC.

I gotta find this T6....:)
Thanks, that's what I'm trying to understand. It seems like the sundown like smaller boxes, so they would be good for WAF friendly builds. I get high fs in sealed rolling off sooner, but wouldn't pouring with a lot tune overcome that and give you a smaller box? Like how good would one of their 8's or their 6.5" in an llt? Could it make reference SPL at a few feet away and get extension in a small package? Could it stomp the Hsu vtf2 mk3 (my first "expensive" sub)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the 'Hoffman' law comes into play here, the smaller enclosure optimized drivers trade off LF extension and/or sensitivity {TH may differ on the sensitivity side but trading off a larger enclosure again.} The softer suspension lower FS drivers require lower power and larger enclosure.
I guess the answer is yes depending on your goals.
If you are ok losing some infrasonics and throwing more power/EQ at it then yes.
If you are not looking to get ultimate low end then they are great choices.
I guess the real questions, which others here are better equipped to answer are - room size - intended use [% music to movies] - target enclosure size - AND LF goals.
From my personal experience with Sundown E and SA series they handle quite a bit of power...ever look at data-bass.com?
Databass may gie you a better idea of the comparison between the HT and mobile comparisons.
http://www.data-bass.com/home

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I remember you mentioning that in another thread. What amp do you have for it? Do you have a HP filter on it? It would seem for music it shouldn't be an issue.
No. The amp is a closeout 100 watt plate amp from Parts express. Adequate for the daughters needs and with all the throw the E10 has, it's just not required.

I am debating building one for my jeep...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts