AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to centralize my A/V equipment since it was getting to be too excessive sitting in the living room - a wall of lights that distracts from the screen.

I plan on moving my A/V closet to an in-wall location. First I thought of putting it in a closet, but then I realized it'd be handy to see some of the readouts without opening up closet doors. I'm thinking of a pull-out rack I'll build into the wall and ideally it'll have a glass front as well since it'll be in a common area and will look more finished behind glass.

Anyone else have success doing what I'm attempting? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
odditory,

I did something similar to this (see my marked up photos in this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1046012 ) using a Middle Atlantic rack. It isn't cheap but (1) I think the rack will pretty much last forever and (2) it would have taken me far longer to try to fab one myself).

The one in the photo doesn't slide out but I know Middle Atlantic makes a few models that do.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's pretty much Middle Atlantic only for what you want.

I'd agree with the previous poster that MA is expensive, but it should last you forever.

Search for the "show me your rack" thread, or head over to the DIY Theater forum for some pics of similar installations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Like everyone else said, middle atlantic is really the way to go, they have several designs of access racks, I have used them in many installations and been very happy with the results. For the most part they have 2 designs, a straight up pull out style and also a pull out and rotate style. You will find that the pull out only style will be priced cheaper but requires more clearance.

Heres a link for you: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

Also parts express sells there items: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=262-605

·
Registered
202 Posts
raxxess is also pretty good clone of middle atlantic and cheaper. They have a ROTR model that slides out and rotates to allow rear access

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou /forum/post/14245792

raxxess is also pretty good clone of middle atlantic and cheaper. They have a ROTR model that slides out and rotates to allow rear access

Nice find - these are great for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheravguy /forum/post/14245695

Like everyone else said, middle atlantic is really the way to go, they have several designs of access racks, I have used them in many installations and been very happy with the results. For the most part they have 2 designs, a straight up pull out style and also a pull out and rotate style. You will find that the pull out only style will be priced cheaper but requires more clearance.

Heres a link for you: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/main.htm

Also parts express sells there items: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=262-605

Thanks for bothering to post links. I've used Middle Atlantic stuff before in my former music studio before rebuilding it. Good stuff. Middle Atlantic's in-wall pull out racks actually aren't that much money compared to some other companies.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like I've found some good resources. StayOnline.com makes the custom shelves + faceplates for LOTS of various equipment (i.e. XBOX360, receivers, etc) so I may not bother with a glass front panel. http://www.stayonline.com/rack-custom-shelves.aspx

Rack Tools 3.0 is a utility to lay out middle atlantic racks and accessories in graphic form like Vizio. Nice free tool.

things are shaping up..

·
Registered
96 Posts
odd...

be sure to post a picture once you get it all installed!

I am either going to move my rack completely or get a door with a screen in it to try to keep some of the lights from flashing in my face as I am watching. I purchased the custom plates and they look sharp but if you reduce the impact of your eletronics flashing back at you, you might consider the door idea you started with.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysafeonline /forum/post/14247044

odd...

be sure to post a picture once you get it all installed!

I am either going to move my rack completely or get a door with a screen in it to try to keep some of the lights from flashing in my face as I am watching. I purchased the custom plates and they look sharp but if you reduce the impact of your eletronics flashing back at you, you might consider the door idea you started with.

Will do. No probs with lights - the rack is going to be on the wall 6' behind the sofa, so like where the 6th (back) speaker in a 6.1 system would go. The custom faceplates are going to rack up quite a bill for $98 a piece and I have 5-10 things to rackmount. Going forward since equipment becomes obsolete so quick and I replace stuff often, I keep thinking about getting new $100 faceplates for a device that only cost $250 or so, you know? That's one argument for a smoked glass door is not having to worry about gaps between equipment and rackmount shelves.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your equipment is the same "U" size you can get just the face plates for like $56.00 -- still not cheap, but less than 98.00. I just swapped out my Time Warner HD DVR for DirectTV and have to get some new face plates...

If I were you, I'd start out with the smoked glass and then add the custom face places later if you decide you want them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah.. good point. I'm having a hard time deciding. exposed fronts with custom faceplates, or recessed behind plexiglass - both look so cool!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by staysafeonline /forum/post/14249962

You have 48TB of storage and I just read your posts. I bow at your feet and no longer have room to offer you any suggestions!

Oh please. Server and networking related stuff is actually way easier and simple than all this home theater stuff which is fairly new to me. Video, codecs, etc. I know inside and out but knowing what speakers/amps are best and which are crap is still a mystery.

The most subjective subjects seem to be the most complex (and perplexing), for example reading discussions between "speaker snobs" when they throw around their favorite speaker names (that no one's ever heard of) is almost as bad as hearing wine snobs argue about their favorite "notes" in a glass of wine.

Anyway my 48Tb will climb to 72Gb within 12 months and thank god 1Tb drives are getting cheaper.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check out AVrak . Great cable management and highly serviceable.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharp /forum/post/14251492

Check out AVrak . Great cable management and highly serviceable.

Already did - unfortunately what they manufacture doesn't provide anything compelling over cheaper alternatives from Omniraxx and Middle Atlantic. $1200 for their lowest end, smallest rack is unacceptable.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14247180

Will do. No probs with lights - the rack is going to be on the wall 6' behind the sofa, so like where the 6th (back) speaker in a 6.1 system would go. The custom faceplates are going to rack up quite a bill for $98 a piece and I have 5-10 things to rackmount. Going forward since equipment becomes obsolete so quick and I replace stuff often, I keep thinking about getting new $100 faceplates for a device that only cost $250 or so, you know? That's one argument for a smoked glass door is not having to worry about gaps between equipment and rackmount shelves.

Bah, get the faceplates you won't regret it. Think about cooling too, with that cabinet shut heats gonna be a bear if you had the glass door (even if you had cooling fans in the top of the rack. Theres a few companies out there making single space rack mount cooling fans that have a 45 degree to them, I have found that one to pull fresh air in placed down low and pushing air up, and one to push air out towards the top works fairly efficient (and if that isnt enough, then a few on top of the rack also). Most A/V products these days are processor driven and we all know how hot a hardrive gets (and how heat kills them in a hurry). I say show off the gear and get the custom shelves.

BTW nice studio (looks very well thought out), hobby/enthusiast or is it your way of putting food on the table?

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14253175

Already did - unfortunately what they manufacture doesn't provide anything compelling over cheaper alternatives from Omniraxx and Middle Atlantic. $1200 for their lowest end, smallest rack is unacceptable.

I've been very happy with the product and the price is not inconsistent with other quality AV furniture. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lets see if a 10 year old post can't be helpful -

I have a 20.5" by 21" space that I want to put a glass door over (My rack is behind this part of the wall) - Any leads on where to find a door that would work for that?

Trying to find something to cover the Rack area above the speaker box here. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Sounds like you need to go to a loc glass shop that custom cuts/fabs glass for mirrors, shower doors, table tops etc. A modified shower door might work. Not cheap but may be less expensive than you'd think for a custom fab door.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts