AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone is planning a htpc build using sandybridge next month?

MOTHERBOARD: With 1 pin fewer than the clarkdales, will need new motherboard (probably h67 for us, rather than p67).

RAM: DDR3, should be able to re-use. Though not sure if it'll support the higher speeds 1600 or above.

CPU COOLER: Unlike the need for a new motherboard, I think we can get away with our current clarkdale coolers. Anyone know?

CPU: Out of the list below, the best bang should be Core i5 2400S/2500S/2500T. If you want hyperthreading, pony up to Core i7 2600s. All of these are TDP 65w or less, not that it matters much for htpc. The reason I say that is because the GPU would do the decoding for hd video. The rest of the time this 24x7 system should be idle. Hyperthreading, clearly not needed for basic htpc needs. Now for transcoding AVX should be an interesting option (soon). Perhaps that may be a reason to get Hyperthreading. Also getting the i5/i7 since I want the slightly faster proc for perhaps some mild gaming when I'm not on my gaming rig. Also speeds up things like unzipping/rar decoding/rar repair/etc. Now I don't have any info on how fast the onboard GPU is for the various processors below. Anyone know?

Model Cores Frequency Turbo Frequency L3 cache HyperThreading TDP Price

Core i5-2300 4 2.8 GHz 3.1 GHz 6 MB No 95 Watt $177

Core i5-2400 4 3.1 GHz 3.4 GHz 6 MB No 95 Watt $184
Core i5-2400S 4 2.5 GHz 3.3 GHz 6 MB No 65 Watt $195

Core i5-2500 4 3.3 GHz 3.7 GHz 6 MB No 95 Watt $205

Core i5-2500K 4 3.3 GHz 3.7 GHz 6 MB No 95 Watt $216
Core i5-2500S 4 2.7 GHz 3.7 GHz 6 MB No 65 Watt $216

Core i5-2500T 4 2.3 GHz 3.3 GHz 6 MB No 45 Watt $216
Core i7-2600 4 3.4 GHz 3.8 GHz 8 MB Yes 95 Watt $294

Core i7-2600K 4 3.4 GHz 3.8 GHz 8 MB Yes 95 Watt $317
Core i7-2600S 4 2.8 GHz 3.8 GHz 8 MB Yes 65 Watt $306

FAQ (most answers by Jan 6 2/2 nda):

1) 23.976 fixed?

2) 3d support?

3) ram support 1333 or higher? [probably 1333 - source anyone?]

4) cpu cooler support (can we use current clarkdale coolers)? [probably can use - source anyone?]

5) hd audio support on all the new sb chips or missing in the lower end ones?

6) flash acceleration?

7) avx benefit for us - transcoding acceleration?

8) aes-ni - carry over from clarkdales?

9) Dynamic turbo exceeding stock tdp if well cooled - another reason to invest in better cooling?

10) which chips have 6 vs 12 EU (intel gfx sub-system)

11) ofcourse the big one - benchmarks - cpu/gpu

12) can gpu takeover for low load even with discrete card onboard.

13) mb to offer sata2 x4 and sata3 x2 (total 6 sata) on the h67's

14) usb 3.0 most likely offered by 3rd party chip on mb (not intel).

15) Some mb like msi to offer two slots of pcie x16 (x16/x1 if both used). So we could add a gfx card later if needed. This mb also has two x1, one of which can be used for ceton quad tuner.

16) Most mb should offer UEFI (see link above for msi).

Anymore - let me know and I'll add.

Unofficial benchmarks with non-officially released (beta?) bios/builds (nda to lift jan 6th):

src oddly mem read/write was reported by author to be "horrible"

NEW HEATSINK:
src

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I would be willing to replace my core i5 HTPC build but would want to see the following two items confirmed working with Sandy Bridge:

- Full 3D support without need for a separate GPU

- If 23.976 issue has been resolved

I already own TMT so I can use the Arcsoft Video Decoder to get past the VC-1 limitation with MPC HC

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Building an HTPC gaming rig if reasonably priced M-ITX boards from Asus, Gigabyte or Intel get released at the same time. Will probably give my dad the i5-760+GTS 450 it will be replacing. He really just needs more RAM (he only has 2GB right now) and an SSD for his PC but I've got a case of upgraditis.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i am currently using a athlon II x2 240 and a hd5450 coupled with a bunch of spare parts in a case thats far too big and stupidly bright led's as the htpc. i am in the middle of pulling together things for a new pc, new case and power supply, was about to get an i5 760 when the announcement popped up about these, thank goodness im slow about getting around to doing these things! will most likely be getting the straight i5 2500 or 2500k. would love to see the i3 pup up in the zino!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/19640164

So anyone know if the 1600+ ddr3 would be safe to buy. Some interesting holiday sales going on and wanted to lock in the savings.

I highly doubt that the CPUs will default to 1600, but I'm sure the motherboards will support it.

Honestly, you'll see a bigger performance gain from lowering the timings instead of increasing the speed.

And the best HTPC chip in that list looks to be the i3 2100T. 35W TDP and you may be able to get away with no CPU fan.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have been thinking about waiting as well. However, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth it over an i3 system. I'm guessing, since the i3 system already has a 32nm CPU , the power difference of the dual core systems is low. Frankly, I have no faith the 24hz issue is fixed so you would still need something like a ATI 5450 for video. I'm also guessing there will be a 'premium' for a couple months. Plus, since this is a new chipset, there will most likely be some bugs to work out.

anyway, my 2 cents.

Chris

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Given my very good experience with Core i3 540+H55. I will likely replace an existing e5300+G45 based system with a Sandy Bridge. I expect to drop my power use from the G45 based system by 40-50 watts while getting better UI performance.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I have a core i5 HTPC in my bedroom (mini ITX Zotac mobo). In my family room I have an AMD HTPC(785G Gigabyte mobo w/ 5670 GPU). Between the two the core i5 HTPC has been a lot more stable and reliable for me. I am about to do another clean install on my AMD HTPC, I turned it on today and for whatever reason the screen is way out of focus and cannot get back. I h ave also have issues with consistent wake from sleep, etc... Once we start seeing some details/reviews on Sandy bridge I may look to replace the AMD HTPC with Sandy

·
Registered
850 Posts
Damian, doesn't the 785G have onboard video? Just curious why you added the 5670. I run an AMD 780G on my LCD and it's my "on 24/7, record everything, stream everything to all my pc's" computer and it's pretty rock solid.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 /forum/post/19645881

Damian, doesn't the 785G have onboard video? Just curious why you added the 5670. I run an AMD 780G on my LCD and it's my "on 24/7, record everything, stream everything to all my pc's" computer and it's pretty rock solid.

Main reason is for HD Audio bitstreaming support, which you can't get from the onboard video on the 785G. That is what I like about the Clarkdale, the onboard GPU supports HD Audio so no need to add a dedicated GPU

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense. I'm not running surround on that PC (the room just isn't conducive to surround) so I don't need anything more than stereo audio. My TV in the basement has optical out and I use that for 5.1, but the receiver stinks, so I don't need anything higher at the moment. We are moving in the next 6 months or so, so I'm hoping the new place we live in has a room that I can set up with a nicer theater setup at which point I will buy a new stereo. I don't think I'll go full blown 7.1 though at this point.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 /forum/post/19646066

Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense. I'm not running surround on that PC (the room just isn't conducive to surround) so I don't need anything more than stereo audio. My TV in the basement has optical out and I use that for 5.1, but the receiver stinks, so I don't need anything higher at the moment. We are moving in the next 6 months or so, so I'm hoping the new place we live in has a room that I can set up with a nicer theater setup at which point I will buy a new stereo. I don't think I'll go full blown 7.1 though at this point.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the speaker setup I don't know if I would get a separate GPU (I don't game so that isn't a consideration). I have never compared the processing of the onboard GPU vs the card (probably the bigger concern would be deinterlacing). Actually, with the core i5 I have been very happy using the onboard GPU which gives full HD Audio support (I actually originally purchased a 5450 to add but after just using the onboard for a few weeks sold the card)

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Call me crazy but the pentium G620T sounds like the best bet to me. Low wattage and pretty inexpensive. Its pretty much the only one in that lineup that would tempt me away from the zacate system I'm planning on. Will the pentium chips get the same graphics as the "core" chips? I'm still thinking AMD's graphics core are going to be better than intel's. Supposedly zacate will fully support all HDMI 1.4a features, if this can be believed.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/19642857

I have a core i5 HTPC in my bedroom (mini ITX Zotac mobo). In my family room I have an AMD HTPC(785G Gigabyte mobo w/ 5670 GPU). Between the two the core i5 HTPC has been a lot more stable and reliable for me. I am about to do another clean install on my AMD HTPC, I turned it on today and for whatever reason the screen is way out of focus and cannot get back. I h ave also have issues with consistent wake from sleep, etc... Once we start seeing some details/reviews on Sandy bridge I may look to replace the AMD HTPC with Sandy

My 785G asus HTPC has been rock solid. I leave it on 24/7 and it never has issues. It could get flaky once in a while with sleep enabled, but I think that is somewhat normal.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the DDR3 1600 ram went on sale at newegg down to $99 for 8gb (2x4gb). The cas timings aren't that impressive but the price is. I'd also have like to buy 1.35V or less, but 1.5V is still better than the 1.65V I've seen out there.

Hopefully these will work well for next month's sandy bridge build.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Just wondering, anyone here already have parts lists for their tentative builds?

Planning on the following for HTPC Gaming:
  • Case/PSU: Silverstone Sugo SG05BB w/450W PSU, $120
  • MB: LGA-1155 M-ITX (preferrably Gigabyte), $120
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K, $350
  • GPU: GTX 460 1GB GDDR5, $200
  • RAM: Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333, $150
  • HSF: Corsair H50, $80
  • HDD (OS): Intel X25-M G2 120GB (G3 if available at reasonable prices), $230
  • Estimated Cost: $1,250

And here's a somewhat more tempered version of the above:
  • Case/PSU: Silverstone Sugo SG05BB w/450W PSU, $120
  • MB: LGA-1155 M-ITX (preferrably Gigabyte), $120
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, $250
  • GPU: GTX 460 1GB GDDR5, $200
  • RAM: Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333, $50
  • HSF: Corsair H50, $80
  • HDD (OS): OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, $130
  • Estimated Cost: $950

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Probably do 2100T to replace my E5300, new MLB, use the on-chip GPU (it supports bitstreaming, right?) Otherwise, I might have to leave my HTPC alone and use this for my desktop. The MLB died on it the other day, so I'm waiting to see how this all fleshes out.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.