AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has ever used multiple pieces of Parkland combined to make a larger screen with any success. I'm considering putting one sheet in the middle covering the 2.35 area fully and just shy for the 1.85 by 3" on top and bottom and 12" top and bottom for the 4:3. I have 2 sheets of Parkland so I can use the prefinished edge on both top and bottom when extending the screen. I looked at only doing one seam but then it runs pretty close to the center and would be visible on every aspect ratio.

I plan on using pegboard as my attachment surface and will obviously be using 2 sheets of it as well, probably vertically tall instead of laying horzontally with 1x's anchoring the together. That way both sheets come into contact with all the pieces of Parkland. 3m adhesive to attach the Parkland to the pegboard. I have no issues with filling/painting over the Parkland to hide the seem if necessary.

Jacob

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to Lowe's and found a "light duty" canvas painting tarp. It's 10'x15', very tightly woven smooth cotton with no seams at all. I had planned on streching on a frame and painting it this weekend but pulled a leg muscle last night and will have to wait till next weekend. It's gonna be an upside-down T shape as I wish to sit closer to the screen for computer gaming using my stereoscopic shutter glasses and will need to make the picture smaller. I'll let you know how it works out.

John

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know there are some fiberglass repair kits that you can get from Lowes in white.

You use them to repair bath enclosures.

You could try that.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree with the thought that it would be quite difficult. I don't know how one could cover the joint in the same texture. I suppose if one joined it with something like a caulk, sanded it smooth, and then painted the whole thing, it might work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's another idea to consider...

Instead of trying to blend a but joint together, which may be difficult to make it look good. You may consider trying a "feathered" edge. (Where the edge of the plastic gradually get thinner, and the mating plastic blends in) I think this would be a lot easier to make look good "visually". This would do away with the visual seam problem, but at the same hand it would introduce other problems. Such as how to create a consistent taper at the edge, and secondly how to glue the 2 tapered edges together.

Ok. There's the idea. I haven't tried it, and I haven't given a lot of thought about how to accomplish it. Can you guys think of any other problems/solutions using this idea?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.