AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone did a comparison between the two and what the results were? I am having a problem with my CM-4228 with certain channels that just started recently and it seems like I need more signal, but I have tried a preamp, actually 3 different ones and all fail to work correctly for me because of the local stations overload the preamp. Any and all comments are welcome and if you have another antenna that you would think would work better and does not cost an arm and a leg, please comment.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have compared the CM-4228 to the CM 4248. I'm about 40 miles from all towers and had no luck with the 4228, even with a CM pre-amp. The 4248 Yagi is excellent. Although, I still have to use the pre-amp for optimum signal reception. I did try a smaller Wineguard, similar to the CM-3020 and had to go bigger. The build quality of the Wineguard seemed better but the 4248 still outperformed the smaller Wineguard. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I compared the CM 4248 with 7775 preamp to the Winegard 8200 with 8275 preamp. The Winegard combo was superior. I live in an OTA challenged area. I am 35 miles from the transmitters on Mt Wilson that is at 6000' but there is a 2300' peak 2 miles from my house in the direct line of sight. The Channel master combo did not get 4 of the 12 available OTA channels. The Winegard combo gets all of the 12 OTA channels.

The Winegard combo is bigger and much more expensive but better. In my opinion the Channel Master combo is a good reasonably prices set up but the Winegard is the top performing set up.

Rick R

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else do a comparison that they wish to share?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I also have a small Blonder Tongue that was "cut" for UHF Channel 39 that picks up all my local digital UHF channels except VHF #10. It performs as good or sometimes better than my CM 4248. Both coupled with pre-amps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes: Have tried them both. Your situation may be different but the CM 4248 was an easy winner, especially on hard to get stations. I am not crazy about how the Winegard mounts either. The thing is built like a tank though.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bmello, funny you mentioned channel 39, my problem station is channel 39.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.