AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a momitsu V880 and I'm using 1080i via DVi-VGA output. I'm using 1080i instead of 480p or 720p is because the picture is better and also because I think dvd originates in the interlace format so conversion is minimal compared to interlace to progressive. Secondly I think using 1080i involves only one upscaling step and the rest is signal transmission in analog to CRTpj which may introduce slight noise from cables which is very very slight. When watching 'Helen of Troy' the details on the face are already fantastic and I wonder how much more detail or clarity a digital projector can improve upon.

My question is if anyone is using a dvi output to say a DLP projector how much improvement in clarity are you getting? thanks.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
DVI can offer improvements on a digital projector but I'm not sure what you mean by "compared it with 1080i on a CRT"? If your question is - does DVI offer a greater improvement when used with digital than when used with CRT and the converted to analog, the answer in most instances is probably yes - obviously because the signal is kept digital all the way. BUT, that DOESN'T mean it is better than on CRT. That would depend entirely on what two projectors were being compared, just as it would with CRT versus CRT or digital versus digital.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I had the Momitsu V880 and used it's DVI-I output with my CRT projector. Verdict: not as good a picture as with HTPC RGB.

I now have a Bravo D1 (same Sigma 8500 picture) and am using it's DVI-D output with my DLP projector.

Verdict: as good a picture as with HTPC RGB.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Robert are you saying your Bravo with your Digital PJ is as good as the picture on your CRT?

Clay

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by poolboyclay
Robert are you saying your Bravo with your Digital PJ is as good as the picture on your CRT?

Clay
Not exactly. Comparing the CRT projector to the DLP projector is not what I had in mind.

What I'm saying is that IMO the upscaled analog signal (outputted from a V880's DVI-I connector) is not as pleasing as a purely digital DVI signal (also from the V880's DVI-I connector OR the D1's DVI-D output).

In other words, even though the standalone is more convenient to use, I still prefer HTPC RGB with my CRT projector. But I've made the switch to the DVI standalone with my DLP projector.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some have mentioned a step backward in quality. I do not speak from experience but the digital pathway push is more of an anti-piracy push rather than an image improvement push. I have heard it said that thier image looks better with the component outs.

MRW

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Keep in mind that the Momitsu Robert is referring to was feeding his CRT with RGBHV via the DVI-A feature of the v880. This can also be accomplished with any HTPC, a line-doubler/transcoder rendernig RGBHV on progressive, or the world's greatest video processor with RGBHV output, etc.

Its a little difficult to compare RGBHV on a CRT to DVI-D on a digital projector unless you are will to set boundaries, like how deep one's pockets should be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.