AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the AVS forum, Hi guys. This is NOT meant to be a direct comparison type thread. Or this vs. that. I am just putting two questions in one thread. Anyways, I'm going to be searching the used market for some main speakers, and was wondering what your thoughts are concerning the Revel Ultima or Studio Salons and the B&W 802D's. I want my next set of speakers to be my last. As far as componets are concerned. I may be leaning towards a used Krell 400xi or similar pre/amp setup. Hoping to get everything for about 10K. Sorry if this question has been asked before. Room size is 14'x20'x7'6'.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, the 802Ds are likely $8-9000 used if you can find a pair, and a good amp......well you're over budget already.

I've not heard the new D series of B&Ws but I have auditioned the old 802s a couple times using Mcintosh front end. The sound was phenominal, loud as you want with NO distortion or strain. Perhaps you could look at an older pair of 802s; I know of a place in Chicago area selling a demo pair for about $5800 to make room for the new D series (and no, I'm not affiliatd with the dealer in any way). You'll find similar prices on Audiogon. Being an 804 owner myself, I guess I'm partial to B&W plus I have never heard Revels although their reviews have always been good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have some experience with Revel Studios and B&W 802Ds. I used to own both pairs and sold off the 802Ds about 9 months ago. I still have the Studios. Both are excellent speakers but each has its strength and weakness.

Revel Studios - the low end is better controlled and overall sound is a little more laidback and leaner. The Studio will require a bit more power than the 802D since it's sensitivity is lower.

The B&W 802D is more forward and fuller sounding. The bass was a bit too much and not as well controlled. The tweeter is excellent with great detail and sweet sounding. I miss that most.

In the end, I preferred the Revel Studios a little more.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really surprised at the number of speakers in the 5k to 10k area. And with the used market it makes the decision even harder. I do want a good floorstander, but was wondering if my 2000 cf room might be a little small for "big" speakers. But I do like my music somewhat loud. (according to my wife) Although It's been a few years ago, I did get a chance to listen to the Salons and the n802's. Not side-by-side though. I really liked both. They will also be incorporated into my ht system.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

There are a lot of options in that kind of pricerange. I would not just limit myself to B&W and Revel, though each are superb options. Revel and Dynaudio would be high on my list.

I agree with Dynaudio and Revel,although I feel the contour series is the most overrated highend speaker line on the planet.No worries though the Confidence line makes up for it though,infact the Confidence C1 is one of the best speakers on the planet ,they do everything the Evidence does,their just in a way way more compact package,and the Performa 52 is a spectacular speaker that competes with many companies Flagships and both speakers are around the 6k mark.Honestly I feel the offerings from Tyler Accoustics,Salksound,and Selah stomps on most of these companies 20k+ speakers and deffinetly speakers at the 12k mark like the 802d and the Studio's for less than half the cost of these and many others at this pricepoint,the point is you have to be real careful at this pricepoint,exposure limits most people from doing this.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts

Quote:
I feel the contour series is the most overrated highend speaker line on the planet.No worries though the Confidence line makes up for it though,infact the Confidence C1 is one of the best speakers on the planet ,they do everything the Evidence does,their just in a way way more compact package,

While I agree with most of this , I would temper the assesment of the C1 , just a bit, but I do like it very much.

Quote:
and the Performa 52 is a spectacular speaker

I also agree.
Quote:
.Honestly I feel the offerings from Tyler Accoustics,Salksound,and Selah stomps on most of these companies 20k+ speakers and deffinetly speakers at the 12k mark like the 802d and the Studio's for less than half the cost of these and many others at this pricepoint

While I am not familiar enough with the Selah to comment, I would disagree with the rest of that assesment as it would be a matter of tastes, and my ears tell me differant.
Quote:
the point is you have to be real careful at this pricepoint,exposure limits most people from doing this.

Agreed, the less exposure lines have the harder it is for most to take the step to consider them. At these pricepoints, I would be seriously audtioning comparatively and be heavily reliant on dealer cooperation in letting one bring in differant speakers for comparisons.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
As the OP stated he was looking at used speakers, one issue is that you cannot audition the speaker unless the seller is local or you go to a local dealer and audition there.

Another issue is availability on the used market plus the speakers you're considering are big and heavy, making shipping from a private party something you want to cover thoroughly in the negotiation.

A quick search of Audiogon:

Revels are usually quite well represented there, Dynaudio less so, there are currently 2 sets of 802Ds, 400lbs!

While I disagree with Schade regarding Salk speakers as I am a Salk owner

you'll have a hard time finding Salk or Selah used because the sales volume is so small compared to the big boys and people who buy them, especially Salks, also look at them as their last speaker.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
New, or used, I wouldn't spend that money on speakers without hearing them first. Or at least reading a review from somebody whos' opinion I trusted. I guess I'm hopelessly old fashioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.