AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Holidays! I posted a similar thread over in the HTPC forum but I'm getting no takers so I thought I'd give this forum a try as I know there are several folks in this forum with this panel.

My question is whether anyone from the forum has used this panel in their HTPC setups. If so, what connection method worked best for you: HDMI, VGA, component, etc. And what resolution did you find provided the best PQ?

My 930HD is going to arrive this Friday, and I was hoping to connect via one of the HDMI ports, but I'm concerned about whether the HDMI port will allow resolutions other than 720p and 1080i.

If it does not support other resolutions (like my previous panel), then the question is whether a better PQ would be obtained by running an analog signal at closer to the native resolution (1024x768) OR by running a digital signal at either 720p or 1080i.

Comments?

·
Registered
270 Posts
i can't speak for the 43" crowd but i have an htpc hooked up to a 5050 via the pc port. very easy to setup (native res) and the pq is superb.

.ts streams and other hd obviously look awesome but the real killer is dvds. the htpc blows away my standalone dvd player in pq.

hdmi will only allow the standard resolutions, 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

i'd recommend rolling analog through the pc input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

The only concern I have is that the fact that the 930's native resolution is 1024x768 (just like almost all the other plasma panels in this class). Normally this would give a 4:3 aspect ratio, but "thanks" to a rectangular pixel shape the panel provides a 16:9 display.

So I assume then to get a full screen display (with no black bars) which also has the proper aspect ratio, I would NOT want to send a native resolution to this panel... Instead, its seems the best I could do would be to use a resolution of say 1366x768 and letting the internal scaler handle the square to rectangular pixel conversion.

That's why I was wondering whether there'd be any benefit of using the analog connction OR whether it would be just as well to send either a 720p or 1080i digital signal and letting the scaler do its thing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.