AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been sitting on the fence with which Hi-Def system to go with, right now subscribe to SD cable, for whole house distribution along with SD premium channels via a "D" dish, for the H.T. setup. My local cable co. still hasn't offered HD yet, and when they do, I will have to purchase their STB. So either HD cable or "D", new equipment will have to be purchased.

Reading the below link, it appears the Voom people are not going to require that one purchases their "Total" programming, which for me would mean that I could keep cable and replace "D" with Voom. Sounds very interesting, but should I be worried about being a VERY early adopter?

equipment. http://www.cableworld.com/ar/cablevision_calls_voom/

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
Reading the below link, it appears the Voom people are not going to require that one purchases their "Total" programming, which for me would mean that I could keep cable and replace "D" with Voom. Sounds very interesting, but should I be worried about being a VERY early adopter?
Well, it does sound like the 21 "exclusive" VOOM HD channels will require the $39.90/mo package, which also includes the SD channels.

As far as the service, I would wait to hear reports on the quality of the HD it delivers. VOOM will be using more compression on its HDTV than either DirecTV or Dish Network -- whether this will noticeably degrade the HD picture on some or all channels remains to seen.

·
Super Moderator
21,597 Posts
I am considering VOOM

if indeed it delivers the number of HD channels it is of great interest

a local dealer has offered me this service and I want to check it out as soon as it is available

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone who's sweating the "compression" thing should put their worries aside. Executive VP for engineering and technology of Cablevision said VOOM will NOT have over compression artifacts. He posted this in the Yahoo Voom forum.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
it will be on the 61.5 sat right?that might make it a go since right now i can only see 101 for my directv(damn trees!).

61.5 would be southwest would it not?if so i got a clear shot for that.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Without exaggeration, I'm sure thousands of members here are considering VOOM. If the service pans out with quality and quantity, I can't think of any reason why not.

·
Registered
735 Posts
jkhome,

I spoke to a retailer today that was told by Cox that they will be renting the 5100 series box. Apparently Motorola made a good offer, however if you want the 6200 series box, oyu have to buy it.

He also said Cox is shooting for the third or forth week of this month for the official kickoff.

This info has not been verified by a third party yet, but I hope it is true. I am Jonesin' for some HDTV.

J-dubb

·
Registered
735 Posts
jkhome,

I spoke to a retailer today that was told by Cox that they will be renting the 5100 series box. Apparently Motorola made a good offer, however if you want the 6200 series box, you have to buy it.

He also said Cox is shooting for the third or forth week of this month for the official kickoff.

This info has not been verified by a third party yet, but I hope it is true. I am Jonesin' for some HDTV.

J-dubb

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts
Please take local issues to the HDTV Local Forum, thanks.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I'll consider Voom after some substantive reviews appear here from actual users.

If Voom makes carriage of every available HD channel at or near inception a priority at a reasonable cost, even if it means not carrying junk SD channels, I'm more likely to jump ship from DirecTV with the proviso that pq is good.

So far there's no indication that they will ever carry two of my favorite HD channels, HDNet and HDNet Movies, a bad sign imho.

I'd like to think that some of the 21 proprietary HD channels they start out with (at least the ones that are more demo loops than anything else) will make way for real HD channels like HDNet, Bravo HD, and any others that come along.

The startup cost is a bit high now, but if they really come thru with a large number of good HD channels, more than D* can fit in, I would be very tempted assuming I can even get it from CA.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I *was* extremely interested in it - until I read that it won't be available in the Northwest (I live in Seattle). But aside from that it sounds cool - I would keep that scenery channel on all the time I wasn't watching TV (high definition fireplace!), and I'm all for tons of HD channels I can't get with my antenna.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I'll definitely consider Voom (keep wanting to call it Zoom, though). The expanded HDTV is a big plus, but just as important to me are the standard definition shows. Right now, with Dish, any SD programing is almost unwatchable on my projection set. SD locals look tons better. If Voom could just improve on that, I'd jump in an instant.

Of course, if their compression is just as bothersome, I won't be switching.

In any event, the competition should be good for all of us, no matter which provider we select.

Scott

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Hell no! :mad:

As a current Cablevision customer, this new service pisses me off. A lot of us have this sinking feeling that because of this new service our cable company will not bother giving us anymore HD content on our current service. They'd rather force us to buy VOOM so the Dolan's can add more money to their pockets.

Oh, and another thing, please click this link and tell me this this isn't the biggest hypocrisy ever.
http://www.io.tv/fragments/ioVSatellite_Fragment.jhtml

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeh, I get the biggest kick out of the anti-dish tv ads put out by the cable co.

You would hope that they would supply you with the exact same HD feed as Voom, via your existing cable line.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Nope. I've invested far too much money in this silly little hobby already. If I go the VOOM route, it won't be long before I'm telling my children that college just isn't in their future.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Nope. I've invested far too much money in this silly little hobby already. If I go the VOOM route, it won't be long before I'm telling my children that college just isn't in their future.
Now, don't go getting all crazy! Just do like me and tell your kids to go out and get a student loan, it is the American way!

I am DEFINITELY considering Voom and if I can only talk the missus into working a little harder, I am there. The current show stopper for me is the lack of ESPN HD. Otherwise, why not make the switch? Would a one year committment prevent me? I don't think so.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will wait to see if ....

Picture quality is good

Price comes down

Programming is not HD PBS loops

they fall on there face and Mark Cuban buy the DBS service next year for pennys on the dollar.....

If they provide good compelling programming and Market the DBS service right they will succeed . It will take big bucks to provide all this fresh HD programming.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had my E* 6000 for over a year now. I just ordered the free 8vsb OTA tuner for it and will have an antenna installed so I'll be getting a total of about 11 HD channels for about $30/mo. (5 ota, 4 E*-HD, HBO-HD, and HD-PPV).

I don't need more channels right now, I need to record and time-shift to get the full benefit of the channels I get.

So I'll be investing in the 921. It's a no brainer for me. With the added DVR fee, my bill will be $40/mo. Then when the Superdish comes out, I'll wait and see what additional HD channels they add to the 105 bird and decide if it's worth paying the $200 upgrade.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.