AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was intallling my new in-wall speakers tonight and I accidentally let the bare speaker wires touch while they were connected to the receiver while it was on. I smelled something burnt and the receiver turned off.

I have since tried to turn the receiver on several times. It appears to turn on and begin going though it's startup but then it turns off. It's a Yamaha RXV-1600 that I've had for about a month.

I think it's fried but I will wait until tomorrow to see if being unplugged and cooled down makes a difference.

Can anyone who has had an experience like this (hopefully with this receiver or another Yamaha) share their experience? Did you need to send it in for service? And if you did, was it covered under warranty?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would think* you should be OK, likely, or at leas I HOPE the burnt part that you smelled was just a little residue on the speaker wire. I've done this a few times, and yes I've sent both yamaha's and sony's into protect mode and they have been just fine, it's a simple circuit that shuts things off before damage happens. I've never had one go poof over it. Check your manual

·
Registered
210 Posts
To me it sounds like you fried the recv. When I fried mine, everytime the receiver tried

to output sound it would shut down (protect mode). If you remove the short, it shouldn't

go in protect mode, unless the receiver output got fried.

Fortunately, if it's under warranty - it should be covered. Just leave out the speaker

wires shorting - (to be safe). Accidents do happen. In fact, some amps advertise

that damage won't occur if the speaker wires get shorted.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I accidentally shorted speaker cables on a few different Technics receivers I used to have and none of them ever fried. And Technics wasn't that good a brand...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

You were wiring the speaker with the unit on and playing?

And now you expect it to be covered under warranty?

No further comment.

Now, explain to me just how you felt your comment was supposed to be helpful because I missed it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Frankie, your obviously new here and you need to realize there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience. What you did in so many words was use pretty poor judgement and that would explain Johns reaction. I can't think for the life of me why you would have the receiver on with wires exposed. Hopefully your amp is OK and you can continue to use it. IMO, after about two hours, the amp should be dead cold. If it didn't work after that much time, I wouldn't hold out much more hope. What you can do in the mean time is just unplug everything and I mean everything from the amp and see if it powers up. If it doesn't, then you have a repair to negotiate. If it does, you start connecting things one at a time starting with DVD players, Cableboxes, TV, and then speakers one at a time. First the left main, then the right, then the center, etc. etc. . What you are doing is trying to isolate the problem. Eventually you will make a connection and the amp will go into auto protect. When that happens, that last connection has the problem.

Good luck, I think you might need it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I shorted my Yamaha stereo receiver output, and it had no problems. I deliberately shorted the wires because I was wiring my inwalls, and needed to close the circuit to find out which wire went to which output using a circuit tester. I hooked it up and turned it on forgetting to unshort it. I tried it several time and the receiver shut down each time. Then I unshorted it and the receiver worked fine for years.

However, I would not expect it to be covered by warranty if it did get fried.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Warpdrive, next time just hook up the speakers and use a battery on the loose wires. The speaker will make a low popping sound. You could also hook up chrismas lights instead of the speakers.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy180 /forum/post/0

I was intallling my new in-wall speakers tonight and I accidentally let the bare speaker wires touch while they were connected to the receiver while it was on. I smelled something burnt and the receiver turned off.

I have since tried to turn the receiver on several times. It appears to turn on and begin going though it's startup but then it turns off. It's a Yamaha RXV-1600 that I've had for about a month.

I think it's fried but I will wait until tomorrow to see if being unplugged and cooled down makes a difference.

Can anyone who has had an experience like this (hopefully with this receiver or another Yamaha) share their experience? Did you need to send it in for service? And if you did, was it covered under warranty?

Thanks all.

I've never heard of Speaker wire frying a receiver...I do quick connects all the time when moving my speakers around with the system on. I had that problem happen about 8 years ago and my roomate who was a Tech for CC opened up the back and opened what he called a protective relay switch for the speaker output, he had it working in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa695 /forum/post/0

Frankie, your obviously new here and you need to realize there are a lot of people here with a lot of experience. What you did in so many words was use pretty poor judgement and that would explain Johns reaction. I can't think for the life of me why you would have the receiver on with wires exposed. Hopefully your amp is OK and you can continue to use it. IMO, after about two hours, the amp should be dead cold. If it didn't work after that much time, I wouldn't hold out much more hope. What you can do in the mean time is just unplug everything and I mean everything from the amp and see if it powers up. If it doesn't, then you have a repair to negotiate. If it does, you start connecting things one at a time starting with DVD players, Cableboxes, TV, and then speakers one at a time. First the left main, then the right, then the center, etc. etc. . What you are doing is trying to isolate the problem. Eventually you will make a connection and the amp will go into auto protect. When that happens, that last connection has the problem.

Good luck, I think you might need it.

Appreciate the explanation. I unplugged every single thing from the receiver and after waiting a while this morning, tried to power it up again. It comes on does something (checking I guess) and then turns off. I will call Yamaha today and see what they say. WIll post later.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think you will find that some receivers and amps have better protection circuits than others. Some units will just shut down and will restart after a reset. Others will require a fuse replacement. But some very likely will need repair. Bottom line is, why chance it? Just turn everything off and unplug amps/receivers anytime you are rewiring your system.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 /forum/post/0

I don't suppose there's a fuse holder on the rear? Possibly a circuit breaker to reset?

It wouldn't power up at all if that was the case.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Just to be thorough, disconnect the wires from the receiver and see if there's still a problem. Also, could be more than one fuse inside. Check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys.

No there is no fuse or reset button that I can see.

I have unplugged every single wire such that all that in attached to the receiver is the power cord. It just shuts itself off after about 2 seconds.

I called Yamaha. The anemic response was get it to a repair facillity and have them look at it. I have already found a shop and will be bringing the unit there on Monday.

If a miraculous event occurs over the weekend I will share it, otherwise I will post again with the results of the inspection by the repair shop.

Once again, thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.