AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, those of you who followed my previous post- ISF or SVS have probably realized that the overall results have pushed me to get a sub first and ISF calibration down the line.

Now my question is about the sub- Obviously, I’m still considering the smaller SVS 25-31 PCi. I even e-mailed SVS and Ron’s opinion was that the 25-31 PCi tuned down to 22Hz would be great for my small room- 10w x 15l x 8h.

In all my research I’ve run across the HSU STF-2 which seems to be a great sub at a bargain price. Obviously the HSU has a 10†driver vs. the SVS 12†driver. My listening habits are 100% HT (have a separate 2 channel system) and rarely, if ever, do I listen at reference levels. I’ll be mating my new sub to an Energy Take 5.2 speaker system and replacing the 8†Energy Sub.

Has anyone directly compared the SVS 25-31 PCi to the HSU STF-2 (or VTF-2, for that matter). What does one give up by going with the cheaper and smaller HSU? With my system and listening habits which would be the better option.

I know that both SVS and HSU have fervent supporters and I don’t want this to be a pi$$ing contest thread. I just want to know if anyone has direct experience with both of these products and what their comparison impressions are. I’m still leaning toward SVS for future-proofing, but is the HSU in the same category?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It is funny when you add up the points in the review the winner is by one point for a better done manual. Nor does he award the variable tuning any points. Also, one of the subs in the review has been replaced with a new model.

They are both excellent subs. With 100% HT I'd be inclined to give SVS the edge.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was considering these too. I ended up with the STF-2 because I spotted one at Comp USA for $337 after tax. I think I got a great deal and saved over $250 compared to the SVS, althought I think the SVS would be a better sub and 12" drivers to boot.

The VTF-3 is a better comparison.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Subs and speakers are SUBJECTIVE. What works well for one may not for another based on the room. Numbers and reports can only tell so much.

To the end...You need to listen to the sub in your environment. Asking for such information will only have you finding, for the most part, people defending their choice of sub purchase. Thread closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.