AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Samsung LN-T4665F 46" 1080P that I use as my main PS3 and computer gaming rig. I love the setup!

Of course, this was 2 years ago, and technology has become better and CHEAPER

So now I'm looking into going BIGGER (ie. 55" - 58") to replace my current Samsung and put the Samsung to other uses.

If all I did was watch movies, then I would for sure go for a Plasma solely for the superior black capabilities and less motion blur because I'm also concerned about getting the best bang for the buck in the 55" - 58" size range.

Due to my predominant PS3 gaming and computer gaming usage (mainly computer gaming, not much text reading and other work functions) in comparison to my blu-ray movie watching is there anyone that can speak from their setup of problems I'll experience using the Plasma TV as primarily a gaming rig versus an LCD TV?

I just want to make sure that when I switch from my Samsung LCD TV to a Plasma TV that I don't slap myself in the head for the switch.

SUMMARY (August 12, 2009, 10:01 AM PST)

The main con of plasma MIGHT be IR. Depending on the model, you have to play A LOT to see it coming. But it'll disappear with time.

So far, I'm probably going to go for Plasma and start enjoying those deep blacks my LCD never could do!

·
Registered
715 Posts
We have PS3 PS2 Xbox360 Wii and do alot of gaming. A new 63" Sammy thats heavily used, a Phillips plasma and a LCD that also get their fair share of use. The Sammy doesnt even show IR, The Phillips shows lots of IR but goes away and the LCD I never checked cause I could care less. The Sammy is pretty unreal as far as picture quality and lag isnt an issue.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Heavy gamers are asking for problems when selecting plasma. Samsung is the brand most mentioned for IR among the current crop. Seems ir is fast to happen, slow to go away - but it does seem to go away.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I don't play a lot of games but I have a 10 year old who does all day long. We have 3 TVs he plays on. A HD RPTV, a LCD and a plasma. I've asked him which one he likes best and is there any difference. He doesn't notice any difference. They all work fine as far as he's concerned.

I think people get hung up on LCD vs Plasma. They all work fine. Only people who are specifically looking for issues find them. If you focus on just playing the game, you won't notice problems on any TV type. If you get a plasma, don't play for 15 straight hours every day with the same game and you won't get permanent burn in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16986783

I think people get hung up on LCD vs Plasma. They all work fine. Only people who are specifically looking for issues find them. If you focus on just playing the game, you won't notice problems on any TV type. If you get a plasma, don't play for 15 straight hours every day with the same game and you won't get permanent burn in.

Yeah, I think most people don't care and for the most part, I'm perfectly fine. The only thing that I really notice while watching movies and gaming on my LCD are the blacks that never quite get truly black and the darker shades don't really blend very well.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I've been gaming on Plasma for years with no ill effects. My Panasonic 42px75 has seen probably 3000 hours of gaming in the last 2 years with no ill effects. (that 3000 number includes about 300 hours of Oblivion and 130 hours of Tales of Vesperia and 200 hours of CoD4 among other games) Sure I got some persistant IR at times, but it always went away. I now have a 54g10 and IR levels are heavily reduced, this unit fresh out of the box is about 4 times as resistant as my heavily seasoned 42px75 and it is only getting better as I add hours to it. Prior to the g10 I had a 52a750 Sammy LCD which was pretty useless for gaming and looked like crap compared to my old 42px75, so I have no regrets with the G10 as it blows my 42px75 out of the water.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got a 42" G10 Panasonic solely for gaming. I chose it over LCD for its low lag and amazing picture. I play mostly Fps's so no lag was a big deal. The only real IR I see, only if I try, is leave a static image right after it is powered on. I guess maybe because its cold? Anyway, with most modern devices, screensavers are enabled on the tv, Xbox 360, and blu-ray player. I cannot see any IR when playing hours of Xbox games. Normal gaming, even lcd can be ok (have tried different games on friends 52" Sam A750) but I thought it was laggy still.

·
Registered
93 Posts
my samsung 2009 plasma gets a couple hours of wii every day and i dont even get IR. maybe its the games (galaxy,smashbros.mariokart)

when i get a little IR is when im watching 4:3 material a long time. or a staic menu on my blu-ray. its so minor its not even noticeable.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i game on my 58B560 Samsung plasma and couldn't be happier with it for gaming. no noticeable lag or delay, very little IR. as long as you use the proper picture settings and use the "Pixel Shift" or "orbital" features then IR should not be a problem.

i saw IR once from gaming and that was after playing Gran Turismo 5 for about 3 hours straight with "Pixel Shift" off. i accidentally used the "Screen Fit" picture size which disables "Pixel Shift" and the IR was still gone after using the "Scrolling" feature for about 10 minutes or so.

i have no regrets about going with plasma.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
We have a Pansonic plasma and we do extensive gaming, watching movies and hd tv shows. So far, we love it.

Recently we got a Sony 120hz LCD and I did side by side comparison with the plasma and I have not noticed any input lag with our PS3. Movies looked great. There is a pannig scene from the movie "3000 miles to graceland" and the LCD did a superb job where the plasma failed. The plasma was jerky while the 120hz smoothened it out.

I testes Tekken 5 and Infamous on the LCD and and graphics were sharp and bright. There weren't any input lag while playing either game. Tekken 5 being a fighting game that requires constant and precision timing performed flawlessly.

Well, this is my 2 cents and I hope it helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu /forum/post/17015602

Recently we got a Sony 120hz LCD and I did side by side comparison with the plasma and I have not noticed any input lag with our PS3. Movies looked great. There is a pannig scene from the movie "3000 miles to graceland" and the LCD did a superb job where the plasma failed. The plasma was jerky while the 120hz smoothened it out.

That scares me. What model Panasonic plasma do you have?

I wonder if the thing you noticed was due to the fact that your particular model couldn't handle 24 fps natively, while the 120Hz did.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu /forum/post/17015602

We have a Pansonic plasma as and we do extensive gaming, watching movies and hd tv shows. So far, we love it.

I testes Tekken 5 and Infamous on the LCD and and graphics were sharp and bright. There weren't any input lag while playing either game. Tekken 5 being a fighting game that requires constant and precision timing performed flawlessly.

Well, this is my 2 cents and I hope it helps.

Would you be able to take any input lag measurements of the Sony LCD for us? You could connect a computer to the LCD and to the plasma (or CRT) and run in clone mode and use a stopwatch and camera. You can also take measurements using the Rockband guitar and Rockband 2 game, as it has a feature to automatically measure both video and audio delay.

I don't know what model Sony you were playing on, but from my personal experience gaming on an XBR4 the input lag was subjectively brutal playing MLB 08 and Little Big Planet. Don't laugh about LBP. Platformers are a good way to test input lag since you have to time the jumps from edges of platforms precisely!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonkim /forum/post/17015623

That scares me. What model Panasonic plasma do you have?

I wonder if the thing you noticed was due to the fact that your particular model couldn't handle 24 fps natively, while the 120Hz did.

We have the Panasonic TH-58PZ700U which is a great tv btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn /forum/post/17015698

Would you be able to take any input lag measurements of the Sony LCD for us? You could connect a computer to the LCD and to the plasma (or CRT) and run in clone mode and use a stopwatch and camera. You can also take measurements using the Rockband guitar and Rockband 2 game, as it has a feature to automatically measure both video and audio delay.

I don't know what model Sony you were playing on, but from my personal experience gaming on an XBR4 the input lag was subjectively brutal playing MLB 08 and Little Big Planet. Don't laugh about LBP. Platformers are a good way to test input lag since you have to time the jumps from edges of platforms precisely!

Unfortunately, I wont be able to do the test because we sold the Sony 2 days ago to fund a Samsung LCD. The Sony was the KDL-52WL140. I do have Rockband to test with, so, it's just a matter time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gaming on my Samsung PN50B540, small signs of IR for the first few weeks I had it (roughly 2-3 hours per night), I DID NOT break it in properly, but never had contrast or brightness above 60. After 2-3 weeks, I no longer see any evidence of IR even playing windowed mode games for 2-3 hours and switching it up to some full screen PS3.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/16986783

I don't know about 15 hours straight, but I have done 9 or 10 hours straight before. Sometimes time just gets away from you, and you have to get to the next part of the game. I have a Dreamcast, GameCube, Xbox, and 360 and all hooked up to LCD sets. Don't know if using a PDP would make a difference like this, but really don't want to worry about it either, so LCD is a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16986552

Heavy gamers are asking for problems when selecting plasma.

This is wrong.

I have an older Panasonic plasma. My brother has an 8G Kuro. I'm a gaming fiend, so is he, and I've got kids who play. After 6 hours of Call of Duty [email protected] on PS3 I don't even get IR. Now when my panel was new, Gears of War and Final Fantasy XI would leave temporary IR. Newer panels like my bro's Kuro have less issue with IR and even less burn-in.

I'm getting a new plasma. Didn't even really look at LCDs. If you can control your lighting, plasma's blacks, handling of motion, and lack of lag make it a pretty easy choice.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've got a Pioneer 5020 and I haven't had any problems with IR on my set... When I was on vacation I logged about 40 hours in Mass Effect over a week (probably 4 or 5 hours at a time) and I didn't notice any image retention whatsoever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.