1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had been thinking about those speaker "ball and socket" things like you get at Parts Express but was wondering if there would be a problem. I figured I could use dowel centers to first "mark" the mating locations before drilling and installing these things. There was still something nagging at me about them though. What was the problem that you had Don if you don't mind me asking? Weight ? Registration of the panels to get a decent flush finish to each other ? .....Enquiring minds want to know

I don't think I will have a problem with screws but my "soffit" if you can call it that... is only going to be 8" in height so I might be cussing with the screw gun ...or finally use that 90 degree attachment thing I bought 10 years ago and never used.....

Thanks for the feedback fellows,

Lewis

·
Registered
688 Posts
I plan on doing this using ball and socket style connectors. I can think of two ways to make them work. Make a jig so that your holes are always in the same place or simply tack the frame temporarily to the wall (pre-fabric), and drill the holes through the frame and in to the framing/furring strips, then simply mark the oirentation of the panel to the wall. This seems like it would work just fine, anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I havent done them...... but could you use a piece of molding as a ledger board and then rest the one side of the panel on them? The other side of the panel could be supported by a hidden internal hook of some sort.

Or why not look at how suspended ceilings work. You can get removeable tracks. Pretend your GOM panels are ceiling tiles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, before I figure out the panels, I thought I should have a dig in the archives and on the active forum for how oher people have built GOM covered soffits. After several hours of digging and looking at pictures I can't seem to get my mind aound how you fellows get the nice seam when the soffit "turns the corner".

For example - I am looking at the soffits that are a 2x2 ladder approach - wrapping from the furring strip (or hidden seam approach) from the wall, along the underside of the soffit, and then up the face of the soffit in a light tray etc. I understand. But in the corner of the room where the other wall (and it's soffit) are meeting up, there seems to be an issue where you can't wrap the fabric like this as you "hit the end" of the other soffit. I am sure there is some simple trick here that I cannot get my head around.

Can someone point me to some pictures that would explain this to me?

Thanks

Lewis

·
Registered
417 Posts
Rare earth magnets work great. Here are a few pictures of a vertical application that I designed to secure a panel face for a bathroom sink cabinet:
Sink Front shows the panel held snugly in place.
Prototype is how the panel is held using brackets at the bottom of the panel, along with a metal catch plate at the top.
Magnet Inset shows the location of the single magnet (with overhead I would use two).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann /forum/post/0

Rare earth magnets work great. Here are a few pictures of a vertical application that I designed to secure a panel face for a bathroom sink cabinet:
Sink Front shows the panel held snugly in place.
Prototype is how the panel is held using brackets at the bottom of the panel, along with a metal catch plate at the top.
Magnet Inset shows the location of the single magnet (with overhead I would use two).

Ah yes, rare earth magnets. I'm familiar with those little gems. Have used them a few times in other woodworking projects with success. The ball / socket speaker grill connectors from Parts Express would be much cheaper but if they don't pan out these will definitely do the job.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm going to try and screw the bottom panels of my soffit from the backside (angle brackets attached to 2x4 supports) and attach the side panels using the speaker grill guides from Parts Express. That way I can remove the side panels for a wiring access.

I'll post some pics and let you know the results in a week or so.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I could not quite tell from the previous posts if what I did will help or not but I put GoM covered removeable panels on the bottom of the sofits. They are premade wih 1x2s prior to them going up. I pin them in with just a couple brads. The brads hold it in place, you can't see them, and you can shoot them through the fabric.

Joe

·
Registered
194 Posts
What about using furring strips to frame the panels, and attach them with velcro? you will still have a seam at the corner, but with velcro, you can adjust slightly to make it tight. You might be able to cover the seam with some kind of molding...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabem /forum/post/0

I'm going to try and screw the bottom panels of my soffit from the backside (angle brackets attached to 2x4 supports) and attach the side panels using the speaker grill guides from Parts Express. That way I can remove the side panels for a wiring access.

I'll post some pics and let you know the results in a week or so.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt - keen to see those pics when you have some to show us. Your plan might not work in my case as the soffit will be a bit shallow and I am not sure I can get the screw drill in the cavity in a vertical position. I do have a right angle attachment that I have not investigated yet. Just discovered that last night while cleaning up the woodworking shop!

Cheers,

Lewis

·
Registered
224 Posts
Luckily I have a Dewalt Right Angle drill, so I should be able to do it. See if you could find one to borrow maybe. I kind of like the idea of brad nailing or velcro also. Might have to try one of those methods.

Matt

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabem /forum/post/0

Luckily I have a Dewalt Right Angle drill, so I should be able to do it. See if you could find one to borrow maybe. I kind of like the idea of brad nailing or velcro also. Might have to try one of those methods.

Matt

I tried velcro. You just need to be careful on how much you use. The other problem that I found is that the velcro made it hard to keep really nice lines. Every few feet I had 2 pieces of velcro which added about 1/4" to the insert.

Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.