AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering trying the replay drive hack, on my 2000model Showstopper. I haven't bought the drive yet. Forgive me I'm a newbie.

Have a 2 year old Compaq Presario desktop 5304 (366 Cyrix, 4 GB Hardrive, running Windows 98. I go into the CMOS setup and it doesn't even show the C-Drive info. Shows the A-Drive (Floppy) but that's it. None of the other setups in the BIOS had any hard drive info. And I did install the latest "softpac" from Compac. Am I missing something here? And seems like I've heard that it won't support a large drive.

I would assume (uh-oh) that if I boot with the Linux floppy disk and the drives show up correctly there that I would be safe to proceed with the hack, correct??

But If the BIOS doesn't see the hard drive size correctly I would still not be able to run any of the Maxtor utilities to prep the disk before hacking, correct??

Since the eBay store has their replay drive upgrade service for $27, I though I might try the hack first, and if unable to do it, send it to them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your question is timely for me to answer since I just did the 80Gig hack on 1 of 2 PVHS2000 machines. It went fine after I updated my BIOS, which like yours was about 2 years old. Note I have a home-built PC with Soyo 6BA-IV motherboard, not a Compaq, but that probably doesn't matter.

Before the BIOS update, my computer did not fully support the 80G drive and so the Linux boot disk did not properly recognize the new blank drive. After the update, the 80G was fully recognized in a way similar to the older hard drives and the Showstopper upgrade went exactly as described in the RTVPatch instructions. The instructions were clear that if the RTVPatch doesn't display the correct drive sizes, you should STOP, do NOT attempt to upgrade.

So your plan sounds reasonable. Your C: drive CMOS configuration has to be somewhere. And you could just buy the drive prep by someone else, $27 is really cheap, but probably lose your existing shows.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Course shipping both ways tagged on but still not bad.

No hard drive info anywhere when pressing F10 at startup and going into the CMOS setup. And Compaq doesn't even have BIOS upgrades. You actually update the "soft pac". Something proprietary to Compaq I guess. Doubt that computer will work with the upgrade.

I use my HP laptop most of the time, course that won't work either. Oh well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Compaq Presario around the same age or older. Can't remember the model number but it's a Pentium III. I tried upgrading a TiVo last year using a Linux boot disc. I could never get the Compaq to boot from the Linux boot disc, so I ended up doing the upgrade on a generic computer at work.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine would boot from the Linux boot disk with no problem and show my hardrive and the 2 CD dirves I have installed, everything looked OK.

I;m just puzzled that there isn't any drive info in the CMOS setup. From a little research it appears that at least for my Compaq, that BIOS upgrades are not offered, but instead you upgrade it with the latest version soft-pacs. And people were mentioning those computers not supporting drives larger than 7 or 8 GBs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.