AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the SF Bay Area, and was just called 5 min ago to participate in a ReplayTV focus group on May 7th in Mountain View. Has anyone else received a call? I'm pretty excited about it considering some of my suggestions could possibly be put into the next software revision, etc. I'll make sure to ask for a black and white pony as well. Anyway, if you've been called, maybe we can collaberate on things to suggest, that way if like 75% of the people in the group ask for a status bar for example, it may go farther with their programmers, etc.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Hehehehe 'status bar' Please not again :)

Wow A focus group on ReplayTV. Sounds like D&M is really getting the ball rolling.

1) Remote Online programming of your dvr that does not take 24 hours or more to appear would be nice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
One of the reasons I first bought a ReplayTV was on recommendation from a friend who owns a 4160. I had high hopes that internet sharing between 4xxx's and 5xxx's would be online some time this millenium. As of yet, we can't help each other anytime there is a recording conflict or a hardware error.

In short, fix the things that should be working first. Then get on to writing other bugs. Oh, I mean "features". ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anogaijin
I live in the SF Bay Area, and was just called 5 min ago to participate in a ReplayTV focus group on May 7th in Mountain View. Has anyone else received a call? I'm pretty excited about it considering some of my suggestions could possibly be put into the next software revision, etc. I'll make sure to ask for a black and white pony as well. Anyway, if you've been called, maybe we can collaberate on things to suggest, that way if like 75% of the people in the group ask for a status bar for example, it may go farther with their programmers, etc.
If D&M wanted to get our "group" input, I am sure they would come here. In fact they probably will. I think the point of a focus group may be to gather the opinions of other backgrounds. Maybe they are looking for a way to appeal to the non-ReplayTV user.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
If you go, make sure you tell them to support their existing customers...

Cheers

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just got called for this, but apparently they have enough men and are just looking for women/wives now.

Since I won't wear a bra for ReplayTV, any cute girls out there want to marry me to get into the focus group? :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the call a couple of hours ago; however, this one is in Santa Clara. A couple of hours of my time, and they pay $75, enough to cover most of my new hard drive. I told them I'd attend, but then after I hung up, I realized that I have another commitment that night. Maybe I can get my wife to go for me!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
When they call, tell them there is something on TV at that time you can't miss :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Remember these four letters--HDTV. Build an HDTV recorder that can take both OTA HD broadcasts and YPrPb inputs from satellite/cable boxes and they open up a whole new future (and keep me from having to build an HTPC to record OTA HD broadcasts when I move)! Granted, the current HDTV market is about as skinny as the current PVR market, but they need to support the current "standard" even if it isn't very common yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richierich
Remember these four letters--HDTV. Build an HDTV recorder that can take both OTA HD broadcasts and YPrPb inputs from satellite/cable boxes and they open up a whole new future (and keep me from having to build an HTPC to record OTA HD broadcasts when I move)! Granted, the current HDTV market is about as skinny as the current PVR market, but they need to support the current "standard" even if it isn't very common yet.
If the HDTV market is skinny and the PVR market is also skinny, I guess the current market for an HDTV PVR = (skinny * skinny) which probably means the chance of it happening are "slim to none," no pun intended. IMHO that's about where it should be.

Personally, I'd rather see them first grow the device into something with both PVR and networked media playing functions (like the Prismiq).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DerProfi
If the HDTV market is skinny and the PVR market is also skinny, I guess the current market for an HDTV PVR = (skinny * skinny) which probably means the chance of it happening are "slim to none," no pun intended. IMHO that's about where it should be.
I certainly understand your argument, but I don't think it is correct. Based on nothing but my own preconceptions, I believe that there is a reasonably large overlap between the people in the PVR market and those in the HDTV market (because they are both higher-end AV items). To put it into numbers (all of which are made up), maybe

2% of the nation has/wants an HDTV and maybe

1% of the nation has/wants a standalone PVR.

However,

50% of the PVR group (0.5% of the nation) may be in the HDTV group and

25% of the HDTV group (another 0.5% of the nation) may be interested in a PVR only IF there is an HD PVR available which would increase the PVR market to 1.5% of the nation.

If these numbers were correct (and I reiterate, I just made them up off the top of my head based on my preconceived notions), then it would certainly be in ReplayTV's best interests to try to meet the HDTV desires of half their market while adding another 50% to their potential market.

I assume that ReplayTV (under SONICblue) has done some market surveys to determine how much interest there is in an HD PVR, but if not, it is definitely something I and at least a few of my friends with HDTVs are interested in. In fact, I currently have two friends who would like a PVR, but have no interest in spending the money on a PVR that won't record their HD programs. Instead, one uses a computer as a limited-functionality PVR and the other is waiting for an HD PVR before he takes the PVR plunge.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Well, I got a call.... at work. And I'm currently at home with a newborn. I called SJFocus (who I've done focus stuff with before) they tell me the group isn't open.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Now I'm pissed. Called back again to double check and they state they are only looking for people who have no experiece with replaytv.

I was really hoping to get in on this!! =(

anogaijin, I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please ask them to turn off commerical advance automatically on Pay Cable channels like HBO and Showtime. Wouldn't that be easy to do? I'm tired of the false positives during movies, Six Feet Under, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fix the lock-up problems with the 5000 series for those who are still using the modem and get tired of coming home after being gone a few days and finding that nothing recorded after the first night or two and the unit is still stuck trying to download.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dbyolton
Please ask them to turn off commerical advance automatically on Pay Cable channels like HBO and Showtime. Wouldn't that be easy to do? I'm tired of the false positives during movies, Six Feet Under, etc.
Um, either uncheck the box when you start playing it or hit the CA button (R with a circle around it depending on your remote) to turn it off?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.