AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, the trailer for Madden looks great and the environmental detail looks much better (Gears of War), but I just watched the trailer for NHL 06, and it looked freakin' retarded. It looked like maxed out xbox or ps2 graphics. My point is this, we shouldn't have to look to hard at any of these trailers to say "Bam! Now that's definitely PS3/XBOX360." With some of these, you just can't be so sure. Also, Frame City looks badass except for the fact that they only have ONE animation for when a guy gets shot. And it's a super-realistic 15-foot flying leap at that! There's just no "wow" factor. And this is coming from a staunch pc-game hater.

My point is this: after I stood in line from midnight to 7:00am in October/November 2000 at a Wal Mart with nothing but a friend, 2 18-packs of Coors Light, and a football, it was all worth it when I got home, (after a 2-hour drive from BFE, TX) fired it up, and played Madden for the first time. I was in total shock. Me and my friend actually took Ritalin (I was in college at the time, so it's ok ;) ) so we could stay awake and keep playing. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. Are those kinds of leaps and bounds in graphics, animation and gameplay gone? What ever happened to Moore's Law? Is it somehow obsolete?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think for the next generation, part of the "leap and bound" will be seeing it on an HDTV for the first time in person. Just looking at videos and screenshots won't really do most games justice.

Although, I do agree with you, several X360 games look really underwhelming; namely the 2K sports games, some EA games (NBA Live, FIFA), Condemned, Test Drive, etc. Luckily, most of the good games do look great.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Dude, here's my suggestion. When the 360 launches, drink 2-18 packs of beer, stay up really lat, and mix the beer with Ritalin. 360 games will look out of this world. In all seriousness, what bocmir said is true. There are so many little things that won't come across in screens, or even on a small video you see online or on TV. When you are playing a 360 game in 720p and you see everything how it was meant to be, you will know it's next-gen. 2K stuff has been underwhelming though, I agree. I don't agree about Condemned looking bad though bocmir, it's running on the FEAR engine and the audio production is stellar.

·
Registered
669 Posts
EA puts as little effort as possible into their games, instead they just monopolize the

market like they did with the nfl, now they can make the worst football game ever

but people will still buy it.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statix
EA puts as little effort as possible into their games, instead they just monopolize the

market like they did with the nfl, now they can make the worst football game ever

but people will still buy it.
The pressure is indeed still on EA. They have to live up to the NFL's expectations as well as the consumers' expectations. In fact, initial Madden sales decreased this year from last year's initial sales. Does this have to do with less innovation, I don't know for sure. But you can bet that there are now more people who hold on to last year's copy of Madden if they find that EA didn't make any significant progress with this year's offering.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
The pressure is indeed still on EA. They have to live up to the NFL's expectations as well as the consumers' expectations. In fact, initial Madden sales decreased this year from last year's initial sales. Does this have to do with less innovation, I don't know for sure. But you can bet that there are now more people who hold on to last year's copy of Madden if they find that EA didn't make any significant progress with this year's offering.

Most reviews have stated that other than a touch here and there,the gameplay is largely unchanged,as is the graphics.Aside from updated rosters,there really isn't much to make it worth your $$$ if you got last year's Madden.Also,I'm willing to bet many people are holding off till the release of the next-gen Madden games.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wonder if more resources were shifted from current platforms to development for the 360 version when it becamse clear that EA had locked up the exclusive deal. Are they going to continue to improve the game on all platforms? Sure, the current gen will represent a huge portion of sales even a year or 2 after the next gen consoles are out. But the next gen battle is important for all game publishers. It doesn't really matter to them who "wins", just that a lot of next gen consoles are sold. So, if Madden is a launch title for the 360, it behooves EA to put out a very good looking and polished title to show users just how great things can be on the new consoles. Hardware specs are great, but they don't mean a thing without great software.

Once they had the NFL deal in the bag, they could have switched priority from current gen development to next gen on the 360. The current user base is important but with the deal they could afford to slip a little on this year's version to make sure that the 360 one is well done. Of course, you could also argue that development resources were syphoned off just to make the 360 version in general, polished or not. Additionally, with the exclusive deal, it doesn't matter as much if both versions are sloppy because there isn't any competition. We'll find out in a few months.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I really think sports games are limited to how good they can look due to the perspective we need to use while playing them. In order to get good vision of the entire playfield you need the camera back far enough that the a lot of the details next gen systems will be so good at sort of get lost. Imagine a televised game shot from an overhead gameplay perspective...you can see all the major movements but not the little things.

Once in "replay" modes I expect next gen sports games to look great but the actual gameplay views ought to look just OK.

·
Registered
91 Posts
EA is never going to push technology on a new (low market penetration) console. They are so cheap, lazy, and conservative. Expect them to only come out w/ the all new stuff w/ the market leader sony and the ps3. Even then, don't expect much from madden since they have the exclusive license.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would guess that sales of this year's games are soft because people are saving the $50 to put towards next gen consoles/accessories/games. I know that's what I'm doing. As soon as I saw the Killzone trailer, I packaged up my ps2, all my games and accessories, and sold them to Gamestop. I was done at that moment. Knowing it's just around the corner makes the current games unplayable to me. I have friends, though, that still religiously play Halo2 even though their console of choice is only 2.5 months or so from launch. Heck, I have one friend that dropped $50 on FN Round 2 yesterday! Don't get me wrong, the game is awesome, but I would rather be patiently impatient and put that money towards next gen.

Newsguy,

For the record, the games still blew us away when we woke up sober and hung over that evening. Unless of course you're suggesting I follow that regimen for 4-5 years until ps4! Just underwhelmed as said earlier by the trailers thus far. And we aren't even sure that this is actual gameplay.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbharkness
As soon as I saw the Killzone trailer, I packaged up my ps2, all my games and accessories, and sold them to Gamestop. I was done at that moment. Knowing it's just around the corner makes the current games unplayable to me.
I doubt the smoke and mirrors you saw in the Killzone trailer is just around the corner. More likely, what you see in the F.E.A.R. demo running on a 7800GTX is a closer approximation of what consoles will be offering in the near future.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Hell yeah i'm dissapointed, i'm now a sony PS3 fan because of it too!

This year i'm going to have to do a wait and see with the xbox360 since none of the games really peaked my interest besides Gears of War which sadly is'nt a launch title:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.