AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a touchy subject, but I really enjoy the "soap opera effect" given by the Auto Motion Plus on my Samsung.

Unfortunately over time, as my eyes adjust, the effect doesnt pop like it used to. I even turn it off for a few days and then back on to get the 'pop' back.

Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just play with it on my new 52A750.

I leave it on High most of the time, as I see no reason not to that I know of. I see what people mean by "soap opera" look, but I like to think of it more as 3D and realistic looking, rather than looking like a "film". We all opted for amazing TVs with 3D capability and whatnot just a couple years ago, but it seems like a lot of people feel otherwise after the facts. Personally, I love it. Besides, who doesn't like seeing Megan Fox in Transformers running in 3D out of the screen towards you?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Medium is as high as I go on my 46A750, High gives way too many motion artifacts, usable setting.

But I have gotten used to AMP now also, it's not as cool as the first time I experienced but I can't go back to not using it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

I told my girlfriend that I wish she looked like this. She doesn't mind. She wishes I looked like Johnny Depp. So we're even.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
sounds like AMP addiction. tolerance, withdrawal, and dependence seem to be developing.

I find that with animation and sports it is great. regarding the last few posts--in flipping thorugh some late night movies (to get to other channels of course--darn cinemax and showtime)--adds to the realism--took me by surprise. impressive indeed.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/15517797

I told my girlfriend that I wish she looked like this. She doesn't mind. She wishes I looked like Johnny Depp. So we're even.

Johnny Depp is a munchkin. You can always get her on that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Normally I don't leave AMP on but me and my roommates were watching The Dark Knight BR on my PS3 and with AMP on the opening bank sequence looked so real, we had to turn it back off because it was so intense.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metachronos /forum/post/15518661

Normally I don't leave AMP on but me and my roommates were watching The Dark Knight BR on my PS3 and with AMP on the opening bank sequence looked so real, we had to turn it back off because it was so intense.

I had AMP on high on my A750 when I was watching Wall-E. I swear it looked like Wallers and Eve-aaaa were going to come crashing into me in some scenes. Also goes to show how much digital enhancement Pixar has thrown into movies. Unreal movie with AMP. It's animated...........yet real?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I can't stand 120hz for films, your watching a dramatic scene unfold, you turn on 120hz then suddenly...it looks like home video, the flicker of film *which by the way has a dark contrast to it compared to the juiced contrast look of 120hz...disapears.

The only thing I like about 120hz is watching SD cable broadcasts...it helps disipate compression artifacts from I think are 3:2pulldowns that are done unevenly per pixel from bad timings from when the signal was originally sent etc...with 120hz the retina can't focus on them anymore because they are now flicker too fast to notice as much IMO. So 120hz good for bad SD signals.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz /forum/post/15518891

I can't stand 120hz for films, your watching a dramatic scene unfold, you turn on 120hz then suddenly...it looks like home video, the flicker of film *which by the way has a dark contrast to it compared to the juiced contrast look of 120hz...disapears.

The only thing I like about 120hz is watching SD cable broadcasts...it helps disipate compression artifacts from I think are 3:2pulldowns that are done unevenly per pixel from bad timings from when the signal was originally sent etc...with 120hz the retina can't focus on them anymore because they are now flicker too fast to notice as much IMO. So 120hz good for bad SD signals.

It's always 120Hz even when the AMP is off.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz /forum/post/15518891

AMP and 120hz are not related

·
Registered
317 Posts
I actually like AMP on for movies, but not for TV shows. It really does add the 3D look BD movies, that's for sure, and I love that.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
AMP kicks ass.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15518299

Johnny Depp is a munchkin. You can always get her on that.

I'm a munchkin. In fact, Depp is slightly taller than me. So I can't use that for defense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts