AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The palyback, record, etc. are all integrated into the control software. You can also things such as still image capture, AVI capture etc.


Overall it looks like a very nice hardware/software package.


available from www.digitalconnection.com


Any comments?


-Mr. Wigggles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
With a little more time, I'm hoping the HIPIX will have D-VHS support as Ricka is working on it. The HIPIX team has already corrected the 1080i bug for us CRT users but the MyHD card probably still has this JANUS reference design issue.


The MyHD card is feature rich out of the box though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fireball,


Good point about the 1080i. I use 720p for all viewing so it isn't an issue for me.


My major concern is the supply of HiPix cards. It seems like they've been backordered forever now. I do own a HiPix and like it very much.


-Mr. Wigggles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Fireball


What 1080I issue??


Thanks!
The odd and even interlaced fields were not evenly spaced in 1080i. The distance between the odd and the next even line was different from the distance between the even and the next odd line. Instead of looking like this:

----------

—————

----------

—————

They looked like this:

----------

________

----------

________


Currently only the HiPix fixed this. All other JANUS reference design cards have this flaw. For me however there are two other big differences that made the HiPix a better choice for me over other JANUS cards:

1) Support for 1360x768p

2) Support for deinterlacing 1080i into 1080p (with 3-2 pulldown) before scaling it to 720p and 768p. All other JANUS cards do 1080i -> 540p -> 7XXp.



Leszek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
ver 3 beta 2 was the first release with this fix. I assume that RC1 (released a day or two ago) has this as well.


Regards, Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
â€Currently only the HiPix fixed this. All other JANUS reference design cards have this flaw.â€


Leszek,


Are you sure about that statement? Have you actually compared the HiPix to the MDP-100 or are you assuming it would be the same?


I have the HiPix with the latest software and MyHD connected to the same HDTV and when playing the same recorded file the MyHD component output is much sharper than the HiPix even with the “fixed†software.


My HDTV has dual component inputs and the HiPix is connected directly to one input while the MDP-100 is routed through my receiver component switch that limits the bandwidth to 27MHz and still the MDP-100 is sharper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
I extremly happy about realtime playing and recording od ATSC HD tapes.


In additon to this , 1.54 version can play Japanese BS HD tapes. ( perfect picture but no sound)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson


Leszek,


Are you sure about that statement? Have you actually compared the HiPix to the MDP-100 or are you assuming it would be the same?


I have the HiPix with the latest software and MyHD connected to the same HDTV and when playing the same recorded file the MyHD component output is much sharper than the HiPix even with the “fixed†software.


My HDTV has dual component inputs and the HiPix is connected directly to one input while the MDP-100 is routed through my receiver component switch that limits the bandwidth to 27MHz and still the MDP-100 is sharper.
I have not seen the MDP-100 in action yet. I stand corrected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1




2) Support for deinterlacing 1080i into 1080p (with 3-2 pulldown) before scaling it to 720p and 768p. All other JANUS cards do 1080i -> 540p -> 7XXp.



Leszek
Are you sure about this?


-Mr. Wigggles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWigggles



Are you sure about this?


-Mr. Wigggles
For some reason that particular statement I'm very sure about...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
â€Are you sure about this?â€


Mr. Wigggles,


I tried the deinterlace before scaling in 1080i and the combing was so bad it was unwatchable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€Are you sure about this?â€


Mr. Wigggles,


I tried the deinterlace before scaling in 1080i and the combing was so bad it was unwatchable.
Cliff,


Did you try a movie based source as well? It will comb on video since it does simple weaving, but it should do 3:2 pulldown on movie sources.


Thanks,

Leszek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Cliff:


I didn't think you were able to see the 1080I issue on your display? Both the ADTV and HIPIX had the problem. I spent 10 months trying to convince ADTV to fix the problem and finally the HIPIX team came to the rescue. I would bet that the MyHD card has the same issue unless someone that has seen the 1080i problem can confirm otherwise.


Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
â€Currently only the HiPix fixed this. All other JANUS reference design cards have this flaw.â€


Leszek,


Are you sure about that statement? Have you actually compared the HiPix to the MDP-100 or are you assuming it would be the same?


I have the HiPix with the latest software and MyHD connected to the same HDTV and when playing the same recorded file the MyHD component output is much sharper than the HiPix even with the “fixed†software.


My HDTV has dual component inputs and the HiPix is connected directly to one input while the MDP-100 is routed through my receiver component switch that limits the bandwidth to 27MHz and still the MDP-100 is sharper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,423 Posts
â€I would bet that the MyHD card has the same issue unless someone that has seen the 1080i problem can confirm otherwise.â€


Fireball,


That was my point! Unless you see it on the MDP-100 you can’t imply with any degree of certainty that it does or does not. MyHD is sharper than HiPix so it must be doing something different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Cliff:


OK, I was just taking the statistical route. If one orders a MyHD and it has the 1080i issue, is there a still a DC 15% restocking fee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaehong Lee
I extremly happy about realtime playing and recording od ATSC HD tapes.


In additon to this , 1.54 version can play Japanese BS HD tapes. ( perfect picture but no sound)
Great! Can it play WOWOW (copy protected) BS tapes too ?You mentionned pc crashing earlier, has this been solved yet ?


Thanks.Rob
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top