AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good list of movies and for the most part they're all new releases. I keep an eye out for deals on movies, especially the new ones. But some of these older movies that I want in my collection are in my opinion too high. Even if I find one for $15-17 I look at it and think... I've seen this. Why the hell do I want to get this? I'm 25 and have started a movie collection focused on high def movies. I have some DVDs and a few of them I want in HD. But it's hard to convince me to get them.

Example; Gone in 60 Sec. I want it but even if I find it for $15 I can't justify getting it since 1, I have the DVD and 2, I keep thinking that the movie will eventually be cheaper. But the DVD is like $15 new anyway so maybe I'm just being difficult.

Anyone else or am I the only one?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag'nGT /forum/post/12886141

I have a good list of movies and for the most part they're all new releases. I keep an eye out for deals on movies, especially the new ones. But some of these older movies that I want in my collection are in my opinion too high. Even if I find one for $15-17 I look at it and think... I've seen this. Why the hell do I want to get this? I'm 25 and have started a movie collection focused on high def movies. I have some DVDs and a few of them I want in HD. But it's hard to convince me to get them.

Example; Gone in 60 Sec. I want it but even if I find it for $15 I can't justify getting it since 1, I have the DVD and 2, I keep thinking that the movie will eventually be cheaper. But the DVD is like $15 new anyway so maybe I'm just being difficult.

feel this way with plenty of movies, and i just dont buy them. there are always new releases coming out you can save the money for.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
That is why I only buy movies that I know I will want to watch again years from now...in other words if I have never seen the movie and not sure if I like it or not...I won't pay 20-$30 just to find out.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
not really.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:

You are not the only one that's why there are a lot of prev. threads already discussing this topic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am at a similar point now except for the fact that I own a lot of dvds. In general, I won't re-buy in hd unless it's a favorite of mine or if there's some major improvement. Apart from that, I only buy new releases and catalog titles that I don't own on dvd. If I actually catch up at some point with movies that I want but don't own at all, I may start buying a few of those second and third tier re-buys on bd.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo /forum/post/12886378

bought the VHS, then update them to LD, then update them to DVD, then to Remastered DVD, then to HDM... what's new? it's just part of the hobby.

Exactly. Nobody wants to double, triple or even quadruple dip, but most movie lovers will buy their favorite movies on the best quality format available.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I simply refuse to double dip unless there's a compelling reason (like the release of a new director's edition). Like everyone else, I'd like to see my favorite movies in hi def, but for the most part I can survive with an upconverted DVD. Fortunately, my SD DVD collection is very small.

·
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for starting another thread about this. I usually pay attention and don't double post.

I guess I just gotta figure out what I can and cannot live without.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Sell the DVD to get some money back. HD is worth the double dip IMO.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas /forum/post/12889071

Sell the DVD to get some money back. HD is worth the double dip IMO.

+1 with the caveat that the transfer must be good. I love film, so for me buying films like Casablanca and the Searchers makes perfect sense. It's also great to have a movie night and be able to look at a massive collection to decide what to watch.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage /forum/post/12886267

not really.

what he said

if there's a DVD that i wanted enough to buy, i want the HD version

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts

Quote:

Yes, Im in the same boat. I dont plan on buying BR's of the DVD disks I have unless its a hard core movie like Star Wars, Indian Jones, Terminator, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like most here, I had no intentions to double dip. Then these crazy BOGOs came along and all my plans went out the window. I found out I double dipped on movies I just liked let alone the "must haves". Trying to sell the SD versions is not as easy as people like to make it to be, but it does help having those intention when double dipping though.

As in all cases, everything will be replaced eventually-using history as an example. So, there will be a time when HDM will be replaced too!

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slksc /forum/post/12887449

I know I'm in the minority, but I simply refuse to double dip unless there's a compelling reason (like the release of a new director's edition). Like everyone else, I'd like to see my favorite movies in hi def, but for the most part I can survive with an upconverted DVD. Fortunately, my SD DVD collection is very small.

My double dip criteria is when there is a noticable enhancment of the picture or the soundtrack. Unfortunately, this is every Blu-ray movie. There are some movies that I would not upgrade on, such as quiet, dialog driven movies that would not gain too much, but those would be few and far between.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Double dipping is a way of life. Lets see, I have copies of Star Wars on VHS, CED, Laserdisc 3 differnet releases (Original, widescreen, boxed set), DVD, and I'll grab it on HD when it gets released.

When I bought my HD D2 in May, I thought no way was I going to double dip, the I bought Batman and Kong and.....on Blu I double dipped already on Cars.

Gary

·
Registered
447 Posts

Quote:

Example; Gone in 60 Sec. I want it but even if I find it for $15 I can't justify getting it since 1, I have the DVD and 2,...

When it's a movie you love, you'll double dip gladly. For example, I double dipped on eleven James Bonds movies because the new editions were frame by frame restorations. Thy aren't out on BD yet. (And when they do I will probably only buy 3, with one must have.) Then there's "Double Indemnity". Again, a double dip in SD because the new version has been remastered and restored. You don't think I'm not going to buy it if it comes to HD, do you? Today I bought "Dive Bomber" on double layer SD for $15.

Now about BD HD itself, I've double dipped 17 times. That doesn't mean that I am going to replace all of my SDs, though. Just the very best ones I love.

No, I didn't buy "Gone in 60 seconds" on BD. But I did re-buy "Tokyo Drift" on HD DVD. Even in HDM it doesn't hold the same awe as when I watch(ed) SD, though (the drifting on the Tokyo bridge scene.)

I used to buy one DVD a week ($15). I now have to try to buy no more than 3 HDM movies a month ($60 total, or two at $30.) Today I spent $30 on two movies, one an HD-DVD. That's about all my budget will allow. Gotta wait for the sales... Or Amazon without shipping charges.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will have to buy LOTR if and when it comes out. That will be a double dip which I hate to do but my wife likes it so much if I don't do it she will continue to be bent that I bought the blu ray player in the first place. "Wasn't the OPPO supposed to be HD?", "Why do we have 3 video players in the stack?"

Star wars would be cool and I would double those also just because my son and I enjoy watching them over and over.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts