AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the panasonic P50VT25 and although this is the highest quality 3D I've ever seen outside of an IMAX theater- the active shutter glasses really seem to tire my eyes in a way that never happens in the theater with the polarized, passive specs.

I understand some people are more susceptible to eye strain than others but I would love to hear what peoples experiences have been.

Movies are tiring enough but 3D games on the PS3 are exhausting.

I have a feeling it's due to all of the movement and poor 3D depth/programing etc... but my friends and I can only take gaming in 3D for 15-20 minutes at a time...

Love to know other peoples thoughts.

-movies?

-games?

Thanks!

HDB

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbrane
I have the panasonic P50VT25 and although this is the highest quality 3D I've ever seen outside of an IMAX theater- the active shutter glasses really seem to tire my eyes in a way that never happens in the theater with the polarized, passive specs.

I understand some people are more susceptible to eye strain than others but I would love to hear what peoples experiences have been.

Movies are tiring enough but 3D games on the PS3 are exhausting.

I have a feeling it's due to all of the movement and poor 3D depth/programing etc... but my friends and I can only take gaming in 3D for 15-20 minutes at a time...

Love to know other peoples thoughts.

-movies?

-games?

Thanks!

HDB
Yes,

it is due to defective 3D content's geometry.

You brain gets confused when analyzing the scene and motion.

Games are the worst as most of them are played with 90 deg wide angle camera.

Also most of game cameras are to jerky and jumping in vertical direction which makes the depth distorted and confusing feather contributing to headaches.

The movies project all miniaturized and the brain is forced to search around a 3D scene which is mostly located around the 3D TV box no deeper than a foot or so depending on the screen's size.

Basically you are forced to vie very unnatural world which makes you brain work very hard thus sometimes ending with headaches.

With natural scenes and projection geometry you eyes are relaxed and viewing scenes in natural scale or size and position. It is called realistic immersion.

Very few people release that and most of them have never

seen realistic stereo content which why they see not much advantage and only pain and discomfort.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
22,496 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to this. I've noticed that some stuff gives me a headache right away, and some stuff takes a lot longer. It's rare that I can comfortably sit through a feature-length title unless it's high quality. The average titles I can stand for an hour or so.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've watched more 3D then almost anybody and it rarely caused me any discomfort. The only exception is when I shoot 3D video with major divergence when experimenting.

The only discomfort I've experienced lately was trying to look at Icester's 3D photo.
(not kidding)

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I'm pretty sure I've watched more 3D then almost anybody and it rarely caused me any discomfort. The only exception is when I shoot 3D video with major divergence when experimenting.

The only discomfort I've experienced lately was trying to look at Icester's 3D photo.
(not kidding)
As I said earlier you need to use 22 inch (diagonal) monitor

and seat not closer than 60 cm from screen.

They told me that you have 72 inch screen.

On such screen you need to float the window out until it is in front of you at 60 cm distance.

Thanks for the Panasonic 3D sample.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icester
As I said earlier you need to use 22 inch (diagonal) monitor

and seat not closer than 60 cm from screen.

They told me that you have 72 inch screen.

On such screen you need to float the window out until it is in front of you at 60 cm distance.

Thanks for the Panasonic 3D sample.

Mathew Orman
I actually have four 3DTVs and I attempted to simulate a 22 inch monitor from that distance by zooming my playback to the appropriate size. The major problem I have when doing that is the window, especially the left side where a good part of the horse is cutoff.

It's too distracting to me.

Keep in mind that I had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago and can not focus at all.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I actually have four 3DTVs and I attempted to simulate a 22 inch monitor from that distance by zooming my playback to the appropriate size. The major problem I have when doing that is the window, especially the left side where a good part of the horse is cutoff.

It's too distracting to me.

Keep in mind that I had cataract surgery on both eyes a few years ago and can not focus at all.
Sorry to hear that.

That may be the reason you do not like realistic geometry.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just got my set last Friday (58" samsung 7000 plasma) and watched the 3 shrek movies and Christmas Carol with no eye strain at all. This may be because I have been gaming with Nvidia 3D vision on my computer for the past year so my eyes and brain are trained for it now. (although I never really experienced any eyestrain with 3d vision either)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I picked up a 3D Samsung Plasma last week from best buy and the only 3D experience I've ever had was in the store watching the demo's. After getting home and playing Black Ops on my PS3 and Motorstorm 3D, I have to admit i get some pretty bad eye strain immediately. Not so bad that I wanna turn it of, because it looks amazing, but it is uncomfortable. And I definitely contemplate whether i really wanna put my eyes through it each time i play something. I wonder if I sit further back would it help. I am probably about 6 feet away but can move my couch as far back as 10 feet if needed.

·
Banned
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverick
I picked up a 3D Samsung Plasma last week from best buy and the only 3D experience I've ever had was in the store watching the demo's. After getting home and playing Black Ops on my PS3 and Motorstorm 3D, I have to admit i get some pretty bad eye strain immediately. Not so bad that I wanna turn it of, because it looks amazing, but it is uncomfortable. And I definitely contemplate whether i really wanna put my eyes through it each time i play something. I wonder if I sit further back would it help. I am probably about 6 feet away but can move my couch as far back as 10 feet if needed.
Yes,

it will reduce the parallax and you will have no eye strain.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies...

As of now, there have been no games, that I know of, which have been designed from the ground up as a 3D product.

I imagine when someone puts forth that kind of effort the result might be easier on the eyes.. only time will tell.

As for the movies...I'll be curious to see if Avatar is as exhausting to watch.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19564828

Basically you are forced to vie very unnatural world which makes you brain work very hard thus sometimes ending with headaches.

With natural scenes and projection geometry you eyes are relaxed and viewing scenes in natural scale or size and position. It is called realistic immersion.

Very few people release that and most of them have never

seen realistic stereo content which why they see not much advantage and only pain and discomfort.

I thought Avatar was made with realistic geometry. But looking at many 3D movies at home I get the idea that nearly all film makers manipulate the 3D effect to reduce xtalk on mediocre 3D displays/projectors, help you focus on the right object or for the WOW factor. Is that what you mean?

·
Banned
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettepet /forum/post/19569615

I thought Avatar was made with realistic geometry. But looking at many 3D movies at home I get the idea that nearly all film makers manipulate the 3D effect to reduce xtalk on mediocre 3D displays/projectors, help you focus on the right object or for the WOW factor. Is that what you mean?

Yes,

and you do not have a realistic movie that was made for your screen size with fixed view distance or view angle.

Mathew Orman

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I first got my Samsung Plasma a month ago I was using the bottom of the barrell glasses that came free with my set. I too was getting eye strain and headaches. Then I realized it maybe could be the glasses so I upgraded to the higher end that Samsung makes and bought a pair of those Ultra Clears and all my isses are now gone. Try getting the higher end Panny glasses if they make them and I bet your issue will be gone.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/19569922

and you do not have a realistic movie that was made for your screen size with fixed view distance or view angle.

No, but I can sit at a distance (and angle) which resembles what was intended.

...but of course you mean that focussing at 3D on a huge screen far away is easier for your eyes (nearing infinity) than on a much smaller screen close by. Or something...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess it stands to reason that sitting farther away would help.

If our eyes, like camera lenses have a depth of field... the farther you are away from a given point (with any given focal length lens) the longer the field of focus is in front and behind that point... farther away, your eyes shouldn't be racking focus nearly that much if at all, in which case the strain would be less...

That's overly simplified but is that what you're all getting at?

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigric /forum/post/0

When I first got my Samsung Plasma a month ago I was using the bottom of the barrell glasses that came free with my set. I too was getting eye strain and headaches. Then I realized it maybe could be the glasses so I upgraded to the higher end that Samsung makes and bought a pair of those Ultra Clears and all my isses are now gone. Try getting the higher end Panny glasses if they make them and I bet your issue will be gone.

I get minimul to no eye strain, but I have both the glasses the came with the Shrek kit, & the higher end Samsung rechargable glasses and don't notice a difference between the glasses...but that tape trick %100 works!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts