AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Oppo 980 last Jan based on the reasonably favorable reviews. I hooked up the player to my 67" DLP TV and used it (only occasionally) for a couple of months. Then one day when I turned it on, I got static picture with the HDMI. The static eventually turned to no picture.

I called Oppo and they had me try a different HDMI cable and hook up the player to a different TV. In the end they told me that there is something wrong with the HDMI port in the player and I have to send the player to be checked.

Since I live close to their office in Mountain View, I took the player in and they checked it and said it needs service. I told them I am very disappointed that a player hardly used can develop such a problem. They assured me that this is very rare and since it is under warranty there will be no charge, and not to worry about anything else.

When I went to pick up the player they told me that the problem was not the HDMI port as they had originally thought, rather it was the decoder board inside the unit that was found to be defective and they had replaced it.

They also said that their technician had checked everything else in the unit and it passed all their QC tests. They also updated the latest firmware and said the player should have no more problems.

I took the player home and used it for a few more months, again using it very occasionally since I have a BD player which I also use for DVD viewing.

Well last night I put in the DVD of "Moscow On The Hudson" and everything was fine during playback but when I went to eject the disc after it was over the player would not eject the DVD. The message on the front panel said OPEN but the tray would not open up.

I tried turning off the player and unhooking it from the AC outled and ejecting it again, and still the same thing the message says OPEN but the player would not eject the tray.

At this point I really regret my purchase from Oppo. Of course I am going have to take it in again to see what the problem is but I wanted to share my story with everyone and see if anyone else has had similar problems with the 980 or any other product from Oppo digital??

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton /forum/post/16946303

At this point I really regret my purchase from Oppo. Of course I am going have to take it in again to see what the problem is but I wanted to share my story with everyone and see if anyone else has had similar problems with the 980 or any other product from Oppo digital??

You might get a better response by posting in the 980 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=879341

-Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts