AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to HD gaming, but I think this is a good TV for the price range.

I have a few questions. :)

Is it me, or is there not a BIG difference when displaying games in "Interlaced", as opposed to "progressive" in the DRC menu? Granted, this television looks MUCH better than even my old, high-end analog TV, I can't help but wonder if 720p will be the big difference maker for games. Any other tips for tuning this, or similar Sony HDTV's for gaming? :)

· Registered
980 Posts
I have the its big brother, the 36hs500. It looks amazing with progressive video games (especially xbox games). However the set will not display a 720p signal, it will convert it to 1080i (which still looks very good). The "interlaced" and "progressive" settings in the DRC menu do not have a significant effect when viewing standard definition cable. I use the cinemotion setting when I watch DVD's because I'm still using an interlaced DVD player and this setting is supposed to apply reverse 3:2 pulldown. Unless you are getting a great deal you may want to wait for the new line which is supposed to have better features.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Wakey
I'm not sure that you will notice a difference between 720p & 480p on a 32" 4:3 tube TV. I have the 53" RPTV & 480p looks stunning (I don't have 720 either).
Actually, I think games look much better on Tube TV's.

What I was saying was, I don't see a big difference on this particular model between 480i and 480p, although even 480i looks considerably better on my HDTV than my old analog component connection.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
I have the its big brother, the 36hs500. It looks amazing with progressive video games (especially xbox games). However the set will not display a 720p signal, it will convert it to 1080i (which still looks very good). The "interlaced" and "progressive" settings in the DRC menu do not have a significant effect when viewing standard definition cable. I use the cinemotion setting when I watch DVD's because I'm still using an interlaced DVD player and this setting is supposed to apply reverse 3:2 pulldown. Unless you are getting a great deal you may want to wait for the new line which is supposed to have better features.
I did get it for a bargain price-I was told about the new models before I bought the KV32SH500, but I don't mind, considering it's compatible with all current and (presumably) future display technologies.

And according to a Sony rep I spoke to on the phone two days ago, it *does* in fact display true 720p. You may have your TV's mistaken, as the KV-SH also supposedly converts 480i signals to a "960i", which could very well be where you got your info mixed up.

· Registered
980 Posts
No mistake brother, no 720p on sony direct view tvs. They ARE compatible but will not output a 720p signal. Not a big deal IMO because very few direct view sets can output 720p (Monivision and maybe Anaconda).

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shinji Kinomoto
Ummm, the Sony KV-32SH500 does not display TRUE 720p. It takes the 720p signal, and downconverts to 1080i. In either case, it's still better then 480i.
Ok, well, whatever. I either believe you, or the person who works for the company who makes my TV.

Even if what you're saying is true, like you said, 1080i isn't too shabby.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK. The guy I talked to was obviously a little mixed up.

So... are there direct view HD sets that simply don't accept the 720 signal, and just display the picture in standard format, or is 1080i downconversion pretty standard?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.