AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two days I haven't been able to update my remote via the members.harmonyremote.c0m website. The website seems to be working properly, but the Harmony Application never launches. I get the "binary file the wrong size" error message, but only once: I have to close the Harmony application in my system tray, reopen it, and double-click on the downloaded binary to get it again. I get this same error message with either a firmware update or general update. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else had this problem and know of a solution?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose the answer is "no" for most of you. My problem seems to be my Norton Internet Security. If I do all the website updates, click update, and then -- while that little checklist is working thru the things like queue -- temporarily disable Norton, the file will download correctly. If I don't disable it, the computer only downloads the first portion of the file. Weird that Norton is allowing only a partial download. After the download I turn Norton back on and all is well.

On a tangential note, my Norton subscription ends this December. I think I'll be moving to Trend. Norton is just too clunky to use.

And, while the Harmony remote is certainly the best "Universal Remote" I've found to date, their website could use some serious rework. Yes, it does what you need it to, but too many features are hidden in Options and Settings and other illogical or unintuitive places. I'd say "Good first go Harmony" but it's time for a serious update... no more HTML for crying out loud. How about an applet? Or application? If they updated their site, I'd probably spring for an 880... how's that for blackmail?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had this problem intermittently with the Harmony site that is exactly like you're seeing. I haven't tried disabling Norton during the download to see if that fixes it. I'll try that tonight though. Thanks !

FWIW, I've been able to workaround this issue by always downloading the file to my machine and double-clicking on it instead of having the Harmony site try to launch the remote desktop SW directly.

Cheers,

Spyder

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder850
I have had this problem intermittently with the Harmony site that is exactly like you're seeing. I haven't tried disabling Norton during the download to see if that fixes it. I'll try that tonight though. Thanks !

FWIW, I've been able to workaround this issue by always downloading the file to my machine and double-clicking on it instead of having the Harmony site try to launch the remote desktop SW directly.

Cheers,

Spyder
I'm having exactly this problem but turning off Norton doesn't resolve it for me. I've also tried downloading the Update file to my desktop and double-clicking but still nothing happens. Basically I can't get the Harmony program to respond. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My workaround:

1. Right click on the Harmony icon in your system tray and select Exit to close it.

2. Restart the Harmony Application by finding it in your Start menu.

3. At the Harmony website, click the update button. You'll get that list of four things like queue, compressing, etc.

4. While this list is processing, right click the Norton icon in your system tray and select disable.

5. Once the list of four things happens at the Harmony website, you'll be taken to the download page. Click on the Windows security warning bar across the top and save the download file to your desktop. It should be several hundred kB in size.

6. Once the download has completed right click on Norton and enable protection.

7. Go to your desktop and right click on the downloaded Update.EZHex file and Open With Harmony Application.

I was finding the above procedure did not work unless I restarted the Harmony Application at least once. It seems like if you try to open a bad Hex file once, the application takes a dump but doesn't say anything. I was also having problems where only the first 6-7kb was being downloaded... I can only assume that it was Norton that was affecting this. Norton sucks. For that matter, Harmony's website sucks.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I found that I used to have to close the Harmony application in my system tray before I could get the downloads to work properly. I ended up taking the Harmony application out of my startup folder (why let Windows open it, if I'm just going to need to shut it down).

I haven't had a problem since. At least not when using Internet Explorer. I haven't been able to get the downloads to work properly when using Firefox.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbys_Night
My workaround:

1. Right click on the Harmony icon in your system tray and select Exit to close it.

2. Restart the Harmony Application by finding it in your Start menu.

3. At the Harmony website, click the update button. You'll get that list of four things like queue, compressing, etc.

4. While this list is processing, right click the Norton icon in your system tray and select disable.

5. Once the list of four things happens at the Harmony website, you'll be taken to the download page. Click on the Windows security warning bar across the top and save the download file to your desktop. It should be several hundred kB in size.

6. Once the download has completed right click on Norton and enable protection.

7. Go to your desktop and right click on the downloaded Update.EZHex file and Open With Harmony Application.
Last night I tried this method without disabling Norton and it worked fine. I'm going to try Bill's advice about not having Windows load the Harmony Desktop app too to see if that makes the situation any easier.

Cheers,

Spyder

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbys_Night
My workaround:

Oops, forgot to mention that you can just double-click on the Update.EZHex file to get it to run within the Harmony app, too.

HTH,

Spyder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.