AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded "failure is not an option" back on the history channel last month.

When I was watching the show remotely.

At the 58 minute mark the video goes black and the audio continues for a few seconds. Then the picture comes back and the show played on.

When I went to the serving 5040 watching the same segement the video freezes on the last frame for the same amount of time and the audio still continues.

I had thought I posted this problem before, but I'm unable to find it. I thought my post was a response to someone else who was having a similar problem.

I've had the problem happen on a different 5040 with the same results. Both the 5040's I've seen the problem aren't refrubs and have worked pretty well all along.

Has anyone else seen this? I suspect it's a problem with the encoder during recording. It also looks like the HD isn't the problem because the audio continues.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Or it could just have been your cable or satellite feed. The freezing video is typical of a satellite feed losing signal momentarily. The TBC at the downlink site then outputs the last good frame of video until signal is reacquired.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, on *that* example, I watched the whole thing live from D* sat and also recorded it on the same RTV I was watching on and didn't see any dropouts that I recall. Jeff, let me check my recording and see if I have the same hole at 0:58.

Okay, if that's the start of the Corona/Russian segment, I started a bit before it in the Apollo 1 part, and see no problems at all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been having problems with many "blackouts" as well as major lip sync problems recently (last 3 weeks or so; 110 related? Not sure) with mainly down converted HD Tonight Show recordings. It may have been shows recorded with pre 110, and played back with 110. Not sure when this 5040 received 110. I just checked a few recent ones that were recorded with 110, and they do not have the video drop out issue. Lip sync problems still though. These are all recorded at medium quality.

I suspect the underpowered 5xxx series CPU has problems when it's given a quality signal. I can't say I see this on most things I record, but a few non HD analog talking head recordings do show lip sync problems, although it's rare. This goes back about 10 months, so it's not just the latest S/W release.

I'll move one to the PC and see if it plays back okay there...

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bayside, thanks for the "obvious" answer.

But, no I wouldn't have asked if I has suspected it was any of the directv hardware. I know my equipment and this was NOT a problem outside of the replay. I had a concurrent recording setup on different hardware and that worked just fine. It was an isolated case with this replay and this recording.

If I get my PC with all my tools back running today I will disect the fill and see if there is any MPEG problems.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joef_rgb, sounds like you may be seeing the same thing. I won't say it's a very common problem but I've seen it on two different 5040s and only since the 110 release.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.