AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried two wireless g adapters in my HTPC (a Netgear and a USB Rosewill) and both keeping giving the "Connected to unidentified network" message (basically no internet or network access).


I assigned both of them a fake mac address like it says to do on different sites but that doesn't help. Could it be happening because I'm using WPA-AES?


This happens randomly. Sometimes after it comes out sleep, sometimes just out of the blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol I suppose not. Well it does kinda. This means it's something on my end more than likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,650 Posts
Well, try different things to see if WPA is the problem.

WPA-TKIP, WEP, and even unsecured. Hide your SSID if testing unsecured, might also want to enable MAC approval.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'll try that. I did find a suggestion hidden away in Google. The page said to manually input the router's ip address into the ipv4 properties. I'm hoping that will solve this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe531 /forum/post/18198789


Yeah I'll try that. I did find a suggestion hidden away in Google. The page said to manually input the router's ip address into the ipv4 properties. I'm hoping that will solve this.

I had problems on my laptop and manually setting the IP (for another reason) did solve the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe531 /forum/post/18198789


Yeah I'll try that. I did find a suggestion hidden away in Google. The page said to manually input the router's ip address into the ipv4 properties. I'm hoping that will solve this.

I am using WPA and DHCP without issue on Windows 7 but I did have to go in an tell it to connect to a network even if it isn't broadcasting the SSID (which mine isn't). Once that was checked the issue with connection disappeared. You would have to go into Network And Sharing--Manage Wireless Networks--and right click your connection. The setting should be under Security. Did you check to see if there was a firmware update for your adapters or router?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet763 /forum/post/18198857


I am using WPA and DHCP without issue on Windows 7 but I did have to go in an tell it to connect to a network even if it isn't broadcasting the SSID (which mine isn't). Once that was checked the issue with connection disappeared. You would have to go into Network And Sharing--Manage Wireless Networks--and right click your connection. The setting should be under Security. Did you check to see if there was a firmware update for your adapters or router?

I did update the drivers for my Rosewill to the latest version. Apparently, it's actually a Realtek device with the Rosewill name. As for my router, it's an old Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT micro. They haven't made a stable update since 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/18198847


I had problems on my laptop and manually setting the IP (for another reason) did solve the issue.

Good to know, hopefully this will help me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,439 Posts
I had problems with my Linksys Router/Access Point where it would knock everyone off the network when I would try to attach with a wireless Windows 7 box. A firmware upgrade to the router fixed it after a lot of frustration.


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would upgrade the firmware in mine but dd-wrt is the firmware now. It's pretty irritating that they've just stopped releasing new updates.


One of these days, I'm just going to get a new router. B/G is old now, especially for HTPC purposes.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top