AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my first BR player. I have about 800 plus discs (no dupes) in my DVD collection of which I'd be interested in updating about 150 to BR. However I won't buy ANY BR disc unless it is lossless audio (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, LPCM) and AVC or VC-1 video codec. I got stiffed enough times on rerelease of DVDs - e.g. crap edition, then the unedited edition crap release and then the DTS edition then finally the unedited DTS edition...

I've found about 35 discs of the 150 I'd be willing to double dip on that they did a worthy BR disc for me to upgrade to. Do the studios really think that anyone who got stiffed on even one DVD rerelease is going to fall for that trick a second time? I think the studios are shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing the good edition BR discs right now if they want this format to really move forward. There is enough space on the discs that they should have the director's cut and the theatrical cut and lossless audio all on the same disc. I'd love to get Amadeus but for some reason they released the director's cut which in this case I preferred the theatrical - other than bladerunner, I usually prefer the director's or unedited edition.

There are many movies in my 800 that are fine movies that I could watch again and again but I won't upgrade to BR. As much as I enjoyed Ground Hog Day - I don't really need DTS-MA to enjoy it although if someone gave me many of my movies on BR I'd be thrilled but can't justify double dipping on some. However action and sci-fi movies I'd be happy to double dip on and yet the studios release movies like Super Troopers in lossless new codecs but not movies like Lord of the Rings or First Blood?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.