AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else with a Hughes / Toshiba / Mits SRHD500 experiencing problems losing guide data every month or so? I have had this problem since I bought the Mits. Another friend with the Toshiba has had the same problem. Once a month or so, all guide data is gone. I need to re-input my zip code to force it to download guide data again. I've also had problems with the remote not responding occasionally. Anyone else? Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
yes, at times the guide data becomes lost and I have fixed it via power reset of changing zip code to acquire guide data. I have had no problems with the remote. I am using a Hughes box.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
4 Times in 7 months.

The guide data is blank on some,and then all channels a bit later.

Hard reset seems to be the only way to get the data back.

·
Registered
734 Posts
[rant]

I've had two Sony DirecTV receivers and currently own two Sony DirecTiVo receivers in addition to my Mits SR-HD5 and without a doubt, the HD5 is the worst and "dumbest" DirecTV receiver that I've ever seen.

The guide is so slow sometimes that it's downright painful. The guide data starts to go away and you have to force an update, which is also painfully slow, by going through this clumsy, multi-step interface. I don't change my zip code monthly, why do I have to enter it each time? Why not just a menu item that says "Update Guide Data"? Why should I even have to do this in the first place? My DirecTiVo doesn't lose guide data and doesn't require a forced update.

Right now my HD5 is being extremely slow and stubborn to reply to the remote. I'm using the RF remote and I've changed the batteries, but it is now taking 2-3 presses to respond. This makes it almost impossible sometimes to key in a three-digit station number because I can't get all three buttons to respond before it changes the channel to the one or two buttons that it did receive.

I'm sure that if I rebooted it, this would fix the problem, but it's also the only piece of A/V equipment that I own that has a hard-wired AC cord. It's plugged into my power center that's behind my 65" Mits HDTV, so it's not exactly easy to pull the plug. And if you have to unplug it for any reason, it loses all intelligence about anything you have previously set up and you have to go through the whole laborious setup all over again.

Anybody notice that when you do force an update, sometimes it will add back a whole bunch of channels that you didn't have selected before? I don't know how many times I've had to go and unselect a bunch of music channels from all of my three customized favorites lists, let along all of the MLB, WNBA, NFL, NHL and other DirecTV "barker" channels it turns back on.

Last week I set up the Turbo Tune channels to all of the major news channels so I was able to jump quickly back and forth to catch the latest updates and it performed flawlessly. This week I'm ready to toss it out the window.

[/rant]

Do I feel better now? No, this is one of the more expensive pieces of equipment that I own, the most expensive DirecTV recever I've ever owned, and the most unreliable. I expect better than this.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Update:

Today the receiver has totally crapped out and has lost all program information and all information about satellite and digital channels. I'm going to have to pull the plug which means crawling behine my 65" TV. This receiver can really suck some times!

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
734 Posts
Another update:

It appears that the receiver is dead.

I pulled the plug and when I plugged it back in, it gets to the ninth bar of "Aquiring Guide Data" and then reboots, over and over. I've pulled the receiver and I'm taking it back to Good Guys tomorrow, hopefully for replacement.

It also appears that my WS-65907 has a bad S-video jack on Input 1.

------------------

Tom

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 09-22-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.