AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In two different stores the 51SWX20B looks really washed out with DVD. Especially one sitting next to a Toshiba H82. It seemed especially noticeable with skin tones. It was quite dramatic.

I tried playing with the color settings, but nothing seemed to help. Seeing it at only one store, I would've chalked it up to a bad set, but both places....I'm really having doubts. Especially considering I can get the Toshiba HDX for several hundred cheaper.

What's funny is the HD inputs looked beautiful as always, but HD pretty much looks stellar on almost all of them.

Anyways, anybody else notice this at all? Is this just two bad sets or two highly misconfigured sets?

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
542 Posts
The absolute last thing I would call the colors from a DVD source is "washed out." My SWX's colors are vibrant. Honestly, couldn't imagine a better picture.

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll go back today and check the settings. But both of them seemed to be void of color really...washed out.

For example, in Behind Enemy Lines, Gene Hackman had real skin color on the Toshiba. He had a slight tan, what you would expect from an actor in a movie.

However, on the Hitachi, he was LARRY BIRD white.

Taken by itself, I wouldn't have thought anything, but everything else had the same effect...just somewhat void of color.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Oversaturated is a better term to describe the Hitachi.

Washed out?

I bet the brightness setting was over 80%...
OK, I got back up to CC today to look at the Hitachi. I even brought Behind Enemy Lines with me as that's what they were playing on the Toshiba H at Sears.

Brightness was up a bit, about 70. I turned it down to around 40, as well as Contrast to around 40-45. I tested several settings of the Color.

Turning down the Sharpness to about 10 seemed to help alot with the artifiacts.

At any rate, I did get get Gene Hackman to look a bit more alive. But still not having a "tan" as was the case on the Toshiba. So finally I decided to come home and stick the DVD and play on my 32" Sony Trinitron direct view, that I completely trust to give me the accurate color.

Gene Hackman does in deed have color. That settled it, I'm ordering my Toshiba HDX Monday. 50" should be perfect for our viewing distance (57 is a bit too much).

If the prices were the same, I'd probably do the Hitachi based on reviews alone, and I still think it's the more capable set when professionally calibrated. But $400-$500 is just too much difference price-wise.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Oversaturated is a better term to describe the Hitachi.

Washed out?

I bet the brightness setting was over 80%...
Mfusick- Is color Saturation and vibrancy stronger on the SWX models in comparison to the UWX models. I know that the new CRTs are a major advantage on the former, but how about the color? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.