AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got the much talked about Panisonic S97 DVD player and hooked it up to my Sony HS20 projector via HDMI. The picture looks dusty and the colors are muted and just don't look that great.

I thought maybe I just needed to setup the DVD player differently. This last Saturday my wife and I rented the movie Sideways. I could hardly stand the complaining about the picture from my wife. The picture was very yellowish, any white walls or other objects that were white against a dark background looked like they were blooming. It was painful.

I stayed up until 1 am messing with the player after that. I upgraded to the latest firmware (BTW this is a July 2005 build that had the 360 firmware prior to the upgrade). I started with the settings from the S97 thread brain dump. I put Avia in and honestly the settings for Color, Contrast, etc. on the dvd player didn't seem to make much of a difference. I arrived at the same settings as the brain dump thread had.

I did notice that at 1080i the picture is much darker and doesn't look as good as it does at 720p and at 480p it looked better than 720p.

I then put in Monster's Inc which is a disc I know very well. The picture did look pretty good but I still felt like it was missing the pop my last component DVD player had. Same with the Incredibles.

I'm thinking about running Avia again but this time changing the settings on the projector and leaving the DVD player alone. This just doesn't seem like the right thing to be doing since my HD cable and the last DVD player looked great.

Anyone else have the same experience or have any ideas????

I'm just at a loss, everyone seems so jazzed by this player that I feel like I must be missing something or maybe everyone else likes a muted dark picture because they think that has better contract or something. I'm looking for nice sharp colors like those I see when I watch HD tv.

I won't return the player, worst case I'll just put it on my Sammy DLP set in the family room and go back to my old DVD player. However, I would like to use this "great" new player in my theater.

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
When you run avia you should always adjust from the TV or PJ instead of the dvd player as recommended by Kris at Secrets. That would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Make sure that AV Enhancer under 'Other Menu' is set to Off. When I upgraded my firmware, the picture looked muddy and I could not get it to look right with Avia. After turning OFF the AV Enhancer, it started to look much better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I hooked my S77S up for the first time the picture really "popped", but I wanted to do some quick adjusting from the DVD remote because it has easy buttons to tweak the picture. Suddenly it didn't look so good... I put the player back to default settings and instead took the time to adjust the display settings and then did some very minor tweaking in the DVD menu.

I know my player and display are different, but these settings may be of some help.

Display settings: (PT-43LC14)

Picture mode vivid

Color 45

Tint 37

bright 32

Picture 48

Sharp 0

Video NR off

Gamma High

Black ext +5

Color Temp Normal

S77S settings:

USER

Contrast 0

color 0

bright +1 (do not set above +2 or macro blocking will be more defined)

sharp -1

Mpeg DNR 0 (leave at zero to reduce macro blocking)

3D DNR 0 (leave at zero to reduce macro blocking)

Depth Enhancer +1

Gamma 0

Auto 1

4:3 aspect auto

just fit zoom 16:9 standard

color space 4:4:4 ycbcr

SETUP-VIDEO

TV type: LCD TV/projector

black level: Darker

Hope this helps. I have yet to see any noticeable macro blocking over HDMI at 1080i or SDE using these settings. LOTR and IMAX ISS definitely have the "POP" you are looking for. For poorly mastered DVDs try using the component connection instead and see if it looks better.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm going to beat this up over the weekend if I don't get a chance to do it sooner this week.

Anyone rented Sideways and have any comments on the pq?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingTarget
no comments on PQ but the movie sucked. :D

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingTarget
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I'm going to beat this up over the weekend if I don't get a chance to do it sooner this week.

I rented it a while ago. I remember being underwhelmed by the picture quality, especially for a new movie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.