AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm playing it like crazy, but was wondering how many other people are. I plan on buying the US version for the online play when that comes out. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 if it weren't for this game, and it's lived up to my expectations. Lack of force feedback/rumble sucks, but it's very possible to get really good with the Sixaxis. It's a great feeling to start 10th at Monte Carlo and finish 1st(on easy). Hopefully some others in the forum will be playing online when the US version comes out.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodface /forum/post/0

I'm playing it like crazy, but was wondering how many other people are. I plan on buying the US version for the online play when that comes out. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 if it weren't for this game, and it's lived up to my expectations. Lack of force feedback/rumble sucks, but it's very possible to get really good with the Sixaxis. It's a great feeling to start 10th at Monte Carlo and finish 1st(on easy). Hopefully some others in the forum will be playing online when the US version comes out.

thats pretty good news... i definetly cant wait to pick it up... tell us more!!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
sure it will have online, thats why it is not released yet...

from Amazon.co.uk:

Most exciting moment:

Since the PS2 and PSP versions are coming out at the same time you're able to transfer data between each, you can even race other players online on the other version, no matter which console they're playing on.

Since you ask:

Although little is known about the PS3 version of the game so far Sony has demonstrated a way to connect the PSP to it and use the portable console as a fully interactive wing mirror - displaying exactly what is going on behind you in full 3D.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvg45 /forum/post/0

From what I understand this will not be available to play online. Has this changed?

The US version will have DEFINITELY have online play. Other than that, I think it's basically the same as the import. I'm about half way through in the "World Championship Mode" and can't really think of many criticisms. My biggest is the Sixaxis controller wigging out, but that's a PS3 issue.

The biggest gripe I have about the game is that you have no control over what happens in pitstops. I've had situations where I need to pit to replace a rear or front wing, but you end up having to change all your tires and add fuel every time you pit--regardless of what you really need. This can add 4-5 seconds to your pit time, so it's fairly substiantal.

Other than that, the tracks are spot-on and the game plays exactly how I would expect. I haven't seen the safety car make an appearance yet, but I'm only doing 10% race lengths. I did see some weirdness when I raced at Silverstone and 12 out of 22 cars had mechanical failure. That was a little silly; although it is a high-speed track and engine problems are more common at that track than others.

I don't know how much appeal this game has to non-hardcore racers, but sim fans should LOVE this game. I can't say much more about it. If you feel tempted, don't hesitate. My PS3 would be idle if I didn't have this game.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:

The US version will have DEFINITELY have online play. Other than that, I think it's basically the same as the import. I'm about half way through in the "World Championship Mode" and can't really think of many criticisms. My biggest is the Sixaxis controller wigging out, but that's a PS3 issue.

The biggest gripe I have about the game is that you have no control over what happens in pitstops. I've had situations where I need to pit to replace a rear or front wing, but you end up having to change all your tires and add fuel every time you pit--regardless of what you really need. This can add 4-5 seconds to your pit time, so it's fairly substiantal.

Other than that, the tracks are spot-on and the game plays exactly how I would expect. I haven't seen the safety car make an appearance yet, but I'm only doing 10% race lengths. I did see some weirdness when I raced at Silverstone and 12 out of 22 cars had mechanical failure. That was a little silly; although it is a high-speed track and engine problems are more common at that track than others.

I don't know how much appeal this game has to non-hardcore racers, but sim fans should LOVE this game. I can't say much more about it. If you feel tempted, don't hesitate. My PS3 would be idle if I didn't have this game.

i would expect 3 months in extra development will help the game - not only online, but game balance, bugs, etc, etc.

I saw videos of japanese version, and it looks substantially better than demo, right?

·
Registered
810 Posts
keep in mind that it will be an downloadable update for japanese fans, same as with motorstorm...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

i would expect 3 months in extra development will help the game - not only online, but game balance, bugs, etc, etc.

I saw videos of japanese version, and it looks substantially better than demo, right?

I don't know that the demo looks any different than the full game, other than there are different times of day to race at, and different weather conditions so the lighting can be different from the demo. This game being a sim, I don't expect it to look like a technology demo for the console. I don't want everything super shiny with ridiculous effects all over, just for the sake of eye candy(I think they call that Ridge Racer). It's a great looking game and there aren't any slowdowns or obvious graphical eyesores.

I doubt much will change for the US release besides online play. 3 months isn't much time to get all the online features running smoothly, let alone going back to change things in the gameplay. The most I would expect would be some very minor tweaking.

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:

I don't know that the demo looks any different than the full game, other than there are different times of day to race at, and different weather conditions so the lighting can be different from the demo. This game being a sim, I don't expect it to look like a technology demo for the console. I don't want everything super shiny with ridiculous effects all over, just for the sake of eye candy(I think they call that Ridge Racer). It's a great looking game and there aren't any slowdowns or obvious graphical eyesores.

I doubt much will change for the US release besides online play. 3 months isn't much time to get all the online features running smoothly, let alone going back to change things in the gameplay. The most I would expect would be some very minor tweaking.

online features and physics of showing several independent cars on the screen are taxing, so they have to improve the performance of the system in order to add online support. I doubt there will be any noticable visual change though.

what i saw from latest video of game play posted on gaming site was lighting effects that were not there in the demo for sure.

i also thought tires in the demo looks pretty crappy...

3 months is a lot for performance optimizations, most definetly. I would be suprised that originally for Japan's release, they had that much time for optimizations, it gets really hectic before the release.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.