AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this pops up from time to time but I was just wondering how many of you are out there still running Lexicon DC-1, DC-2 & MC-1's with ver4 software?

I recently completed a 15 month project in the basement of my new home of (3) years. (see pics in my Gallery) I am getting back into home theater after 3 years without a dedicated room. One of the first things on my mind is upgrading my DC-1 but damn it still sounds so good. I run a full 7.1 setup with logic 7 applied most of the time even when it's a 5.1 DD or DTS track. I have a friend who purchased an Anthem AVM 30 and although I thought it sounded great I didn't feel the need to run out and buy one over the sound of my DC-1. Keep in mind that I really don't care much about music as my setup is used almost exclusively for movies. Maybe I just need to get over there and listen to it some more. I know If I wanted to do SACD or DVD-A I would want to upgrade allot sooner. For now I am temped to just sit back and see how the whole HD format thing unfolds. If there was a pre-pro with HDMI and support for DTS-HD and DD+ it would make the decision a no brainer. Anyway thanks for looking...just wondering if there were other folks out there like me that are stuck on these old (but still great) processors.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i run an MC-1, still works great. L7 still sound better than anything else.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I still run a Lexicon DC-2. I will only sell it when I have demoed it against a potential successor, save for a no-brainer upgrade like an MC-4 that I get for 700 bucks ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
rfisher......I had answered another post similar to yours and responded as follows-----

I find myself in the same situation as yourself with having the DC 1v4 with Rotel amps and listening to Logic 7 for all movies in a dedicated theater. I am using the Runco VX-1000C (high definition) as my projector. All is working wonderfully... I have never had one problem since it was installed.

I was looking about upgrading to all the 'new technology' that is in the marketplace today or within the near future. I found out I would have to buy the new Runco VX1000D ($16,000) in order to have the capability to view everything digitally. Then I would have to replace my Lexicon processor ($9,000.00) with a new one that would have all the new formats. Then I would have to replace my DVD player ($2,500.00) to the new technology. and the matching Lexicon amp ($8,000.00) Otherwords... scrap the entire system, sell it for what you can get and buy all new.......chaising technology can be expensive. This is especially frustrating when what you currently have is working great... $35,000+...WOW a lot of money just to upgrade.... can you really hear $35,000.00 improvement?

PS: My wife and I just listened to a $85,000 5.1 Linn HT set-up... sounded very good..was it $85,000 better than mine...NO... was it even $40,000 better than my set-up...NO

The same store is just finishing up their $350,000.00 total Home Theater package..can't wait.. In their main showroom they use a pair of the new Velodynes Subs (6000 Watts each @ $15,000 for each sub)..room being powered by 6 big MacIntosh amps and a $49,000 PJ....Sounds awesome.

Ron AZ

Ron AZ

·
Registered
450 Posts
My DC1 v4 is still going strong too. Never had any problems with it. I use it for HT only (full 7.1 set up) since it's switched out of the system when I do audio only. At this point, I can't justify the expense or hassle of upgrading.

Peter

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I still use a DC-1 V4.

Now it's primary duties are decoding my satellite box. I've added a Sony TAP-9000ES dual 5.1 inputs w/5.1 bypass as an additional pre-amp for SACD and DVD-A.

Decoding DD and DTS via my Denon 3910 DVD player provides more clarity and definition than the older dacs in my DC-1, but the Lex is still respectable.

For movies, it's still a nice perfomer. What's really amazing is the fact that besides DLPIIx (which I think L7 is better than), the V4 versions of these pre-pros have virtually all the same features as modern pre-amps, yet are over 6 years old! That says alot about Lexicon. If Lexicon's newer stuff had IEEE1394 inputs, and was more moderately priced, I'd consider upgrading.

·
Registered
51 Posts

david*roy said:
If Lexicon's newer stuff had IEEE1394 inputs, and was more moderately priced, I'd consider upgrading.
Quote:

Yea. I feel you pain. I have the MC-8 and I dream of I-Link on my processo every night.
How do you like your mc 8? i'm getting one next week

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.