AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a set of these on Newegg about 6 months ago and the more I listen to them the more I dislike them. I had a set of PSB Image 2B bookshelfs before these and man, do I miss those.

To me these sound almost dry, and they lack warmth and midrange clarity. The highs are overpowering and they are VERY sensitive to positioning. Any movement off axis and the sound is destroyed. Bass response is also nil, even compared to my little PSB bookshelfs. I guess you get what you pay for!

I'm really thinking about picking up a set of PSB Image T5's or T6's, or maybe some Energy towers. What does everyone else think of their polks?

Note: this is mainly w/music via Denon AVR-591, both w/Audyssey, manual calibration & zero EQ. They sounded WORSE with my old Onkyo, which always made the PSB's sound droolworthy.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
So you tested them all down the line? 50s 60s and 70s?

I have found that the 70's really need an external amp to bring them to life? And with an external amp they have plenty of bass

Where you using them with a subwoofer?

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
I feel the same about Polk Monitors but they're inexpensive and if the person asking says they're mainly for movies, tv and gaming instead of music I point them that way. I have tested the Monitor 50, 60's and 70's. I just dont like the brightness of those. And I cant stand the Klipsch speakers I've heard either.

We all have different tastes and I'm sure I could find plenty of people who love both brands.

I'd much rather have discounted Energy RC speakers or some of the bargain Jamo towers.

Wait I do have Energy RC's and Jamo towers.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19616541

I feel the same about Polk Monitors but they're inexpensive and if the person asking says they're mainly for movies, tv and gaming instead of music I point them that way. I have tested the Monitor 50, 60's and 70's. I just dont like the brightness of those. And I cant stand the Klipsch speakers I've heard either.

We all have different tastes and I'm sure I could find plenty of people who love both brands.

I'd much rather have discounted Energy RC speakers or some of the bargain Jamo towers.

Wait I do have Energy RC's and Jamo towers.

and just think....you were trying to make me buy some polk monitors...

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19616527

So you tested them all down the line? 50s 60s and 70s?

I have found that the 70's really need an external amp to bring them to life? And with an external amp they have plenty of bass

Where you using them with a subwoofer?

Why would anyone bother with buying an external amp with these speakers? Wouldn't an amp cost more than the speakers?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I actually really like my Polk M70/CS2 fronts. I still think they're the best option in their price range, especially after plugging them into my UPA7!

That said, I certainly plan to upgrade them by doubling or tripling the front stage budget someday... Audiogon FTW!

·
Registered
29,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsTide /forum/post/19616625

and just think....you were trying to make me buy some polk monitors...

And what did you end up getting?

You probably asked about Polk Tsi speakers and I stirred you towards the monitors because they're half the price for the same performance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nick, before making the big leap in price to get PSB or Energy, I'd recommend checking out the Pioneer FS51 towers at Best Buy first. I think they are great speakers, and not just for the price.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Polks are just right for the price. If you are not really into audio they are just perfectly priced. For me though, my CS2, Monitor 70's are retired to rec room. I was content with these since May of this year.

I prefer my KEF eggs all day to the Polks. To my ears the sats ( single 4 inch Uni Q) are better in every way. Going back to all KEF for good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiok /forum/post/19616799

Nick, before making the big leap in price to get PSB or Energy, I'd recommend checking out the Pioneer FS51 towers at Best Buy first. I think they are great speakers, and not just for the price.

Actually, I just brought a set home after reading a thread on here about 45 minutes ago and hooked them up. With my Denon AVR-591 and no EQ/Audyssey they absolutely blow the Polk Monitor 60's out of the water, and sound MUCH closer to my PSB Bookshelves did.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with these with just some minor auditioning. And to the person who asked why I sold my PSB's for the Polks? I saw the Newegg deal, always heard some decent stuff about Polk and sold the PSB's for more than I paid for the Polks.

These Pioneers are great sounding though, definitely not overly bright and the bass response is excellent. Tight, definitely not boomy and the cabinets do not resonate at all with mids/bass. VERY very impressed.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS_ /forum/post/19616883

Actually, I just brought a set home after reading a thread on here about 45 minutes ago and hooked them up. With my Denon AVR-591 and no EQ/Audyssey they absolutely blow the Polk Monitor 60's out of the water, and sound MUCH closer to my PSB Bookshelves did.

I am EXTREMELY impressed with these with just some minor auditioning. And to the person who asked why I sold my PSB's for the Polks? I saw the Newegg deal, always heard some decent stuff about Polk and sold the PSB's for more than I paid for the Polks.

These Pioneers are great sounding though, definitely not overly bright and the bass response is excellent. Tight, definitely not boomy and the cabinets do not resonate at all with mids/bass. VERY very impressed.

I agree those Pioneer's are impressive. They are the best cheap speaker I've ever heard.

Ron

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
When I heard them in the store next to the Klipsch towers and Polk TSi I instantly preferred the Pioneer to both speakers. The advantage of the other two were they were much more sensitive so it didn't take as much power to drive them loudly.

If you have a powerful enough receiver then the FS51 is a no brainer on a budget.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiok /forum/post/0

I compared the Pioneers to my Polk M70/CS2 combo, and the Pio's didn't stack up. I feel that the FS51's are more directly comparable to the Polk M60 than the M70's.

At moderate to high volumes, the Pio's fail to impress. They're better suited for a bedroom than anything else I've heard, though.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19617017

I compared the Pioneers to my Polk M70/CS2 combo, and the Pio's didn't stack up. I feel that the FS51's are more directly comparable to the Polk M60 than the M70's.

At moderate to high volumes, the Pio's fail to impress. They're better suited for a bedroom than anything else I've heard, though.

Agreed!

Also the Polk Monitor 60's or TSi400 are disappionting you are better off just with the Monitor 50's and a quality subwoofer.

If I am not mistaken the original poster is use a HTIB Onkyo Subwoofer.

Whats the cross-over was the OP using from the Monitor 60's?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19617067

Agreed!

Also the Polk Monitor 60's or TSi400 are disappionting you are better off just with the Monitor 50's and a quality subwoofer.

If I am not mistaken the original poster is use a HTIB Onkyo Subwoofer.

Whats the cross-over was the OP using from the Monitor 60's?

I'm using a Denon AVR-591. I used Audyssey for my Calibration on the Monitor 60's. I ended up settling on 40hz crossover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/0

I agree with you, they do get a little muddy sounding overall at very high volumes depending on the listening material. This may also be because I have my receiver in Direct mode right now and I'm pushing all kinds of music through them with no help from my sub, at ridiculously high volumes. I've never had to turn my Denon up this high, let me tell you! I hardly ever broke into the "positive" decibels on the volume scale with the Polks, now I live in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

When I heard them in the store next to the Klipsch towers and Polk TSi I instantly preferred the Pioneer to both speakers. The advantage of the other two were they were much more sensitive so it didn't take as much power to drive them loudly.

If you have a powerful enough receiver then the FS51 is a no brainer on a budget.

Most definitely. They REALLY take juice... and while they still don't match my PSB's (which I doubted they would, but the PSB's had excellent crossovers. You could never distinguish the tweeter and woofer with voices and stuff), they are definitely a good bit better than my Monitor 60's ever dreamed of being and they are sooo much easier on the ears to listen to. The Monitor 60's are horribly tiring to listen to. They reminded me of my Logitech Z-5300's back in the day (like, 2005).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
While I personally prefer the entry priced Infinity Primus series not everyone can afford $400-$500 for a pair of P362/363 towers. For those the sale priced Monitor 60/70s are a good deal and a huge step up from HTIB. No they don't sound like $500 a pair speakers but they aren't bad for 60% of that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts