AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, i am torn between sony 46" Z4100 and 52" W4100. I really want the Z4100 cuz of features, but i want 52"....can't have both so i have to decide, i can get both for about same price.

My question is.....there anyone else out there who watches an HDTV of 46" from around 17' away and still enjoy it? I am upgrading from a 27" so obviously both are nice to me, but should i get the specs i want or the size i want? Like i said, i prefer the z4100, but would it cancel itself out from that far away and make the 52" w4100 a better choice?

I am looking from input especially if there is anyone else out there who watches a 46" from that far away....any input is appreciated

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
i watch my 46' A550 sammy from about 14 or 15 ft, its amazing. 52 might have been better but oh well..
i would get the 46 tho it has better features

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I strongly suggest you consider the largest size you can afford. 17' is long IMO, that's a big room. I have a 46" Sony XBR2 at 8-10 feet and I'm shopping a 52 Sony (probably). If that feature on the Z is just killer to you then get it, but to me, size trumps most all other features, if overall quality is the same.

good luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
wow... im watching my 52" from like 7feet away and still feel its to small
starting to wish i would have went with a 65" for this distance. When i think movies, i think a screen filling the majority of your vision cone. My ultimate judge on when you have the right "Size" is when watching Star Wars (A new hope) during the final scenes when the X-wings dive into the trench, when it goes into a first person view, that should make you feel a bit wozzy and in that ship traveling that fast. My 52" barely gives me that feeling, my old 42" gave me nothing, but my friends 65" DLP makes me feel that motion.

·
Registered
366 Posts
No offense pagusas, but it sounds like you live in a dorm room.

Going by your standards, the OP needs a billboard size HDTV from 17'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the reason i want the z4100 over the 52" w4100 is cuz it has x.v.color and "deep color" and also it's 10 bit instead of 8......i know these three features aren't that important atm, but they may be in the future, and actually the PS3 uses x.v.color now, which is just Sony's fancy name for xvYCC or w/e. Oh yeah, the the 46" z4100 also has a better backlight.....Damn sony for not making a 52" z4100

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishschtick /forum/post/14169072

THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, i am torn between sony 46" Z4100 and 52" W4100. I really want the Z4100 cuz of features, but i want 52"....can't have both so i have to decide, i can get both for about same price.

My question is.....there anyone else out there who watches an HDTV of 46" from around 17' away and still enjoy it? I am upgrading from a 27" so obviously both are nice to me, but should i get the specs i want or the size i want? Like i said, i prefer the z4100, but would it cancel itself out from that far away and make the 52" w4100 a better choice?

I am looking from input especially if there is anyone else out there who watches a 46" from that far away....any input is appreciated

i have a 46 inch set, at around 14 feet, i got it a bit under a year ago, and it still looks pretty big..... in your case i would go with the 52 inch w4100, or you could wait for the 52xbr6, if your budget allows it that is......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Size matters, go 52in.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i watch a 42" from 11 feet, and if i were to do it over again i wouldn't get anything smaller than 50". i went from a 36" tube tv though, so at the time the 42" was perfect, but that only lasted for about a year before i wanted something bigger...

considering you're coming from a 27", i'm sure you would think that the 46" would actually seem big, but it's only a matter of time before the upgrade bug bites you and you feel the need to go larger. it's like the saying goes, buy right, or buy twice...

and if i had a living room that large, and sat that far away, i would go with a nice 100" projector. some people DREAM of a room like yours...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as someone mentioning the xbr6, that is a thought, any ideas of how much it will sell for? if it was around 3500 hmm maybe, 4000 or more though, just not enough utils for me to bite.......maybe someone has an idea, i couldn't find it anywhere

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 /forum/post/14169713

No offense pagusas, but it sounds like you live in a dorm room.

Going by your standards, the OP needs a billboard size HDTV from 17'.

None taken, i'm in the process of moving from a small apartment into my first home. Once i can comfortably afford it I'm going to move the new 52" a650 i bought to the bedroom and get a projector in the living room (working on plans for retractable screen, in wall projector slot, and such to make the room very elegant yet AVS worthy. but all this is for another thread, need to get moved in and settled in the house first

But anyway, size is a matter of personal taste and what your accustom to. I spend 8 hours of my day in front of 32" editing monitors sitting about 2 feet away to look for errors, so coming home and sitting 11 feet from a 52" screen would just seem itty bitty then. On the other hand if you've always sat far away then the size is something your use to and happy with. I don't care for "ideal viewing distances" as if you follow them you lose that "feeling" I spoke of earlier (at least to me you do)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Something that has not been mentioned is, If all I watched was Blu Ray/HD DVD or PS3 I would have the biggest screen that would fit in my house.

In the real world, alot of what is broadcast looks like crap, hence the size limitations. Sometimes bigger can look worse.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 /forum/post/14170134

In the real world, alot of what is broadcast looks like crap, hence the size limitations. Sometimes bigger can look worse.

but no one is buying 1080p tv's so they can watch sources like that, they're buying it for 1080p sources like Blu-ray, HD-DVD, PS3, ect. if that was the case, than no one would need more than a 480p EDTV, since from my experience that's what sources like cable and satellite look best on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also thinking about a 46z vs a 52w and the question seems to be is it worth giving up the extra size I would like for the 10 bit and the better light of the z? Any opinions guys? How much better is pq of the z? Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishschtick /forum/post/14170019

As far as someone mentioning the xbr6, that is a thought, any ideas of how much it will sell for? if it was around 3500 hmm maybe, 4000 or more though, just not enough utils for me to bite.......maybe someone has an idea, i couldn't find it anywhere

the mrsp of the 52xbr6 is $4000, but the prices at your local retailer should be at around $3500 within a few weeks of release.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my 46W4100 yesterday, and I'm still waiting for the hi-def satellite hookup.

So far I am only watching SD from about 15' away.

At 5' away I can see all the graininess and noise in the picture. It would be almost impossible to watch SD at that distance. As I move back to the 15' distance the picture looks pretty darn smooth. Of course it doesn't show details like skin blemishes, but it is certainly better than my old 27" CRT.

Until the HD is connected, I can only imagine the opposite being true for HD programming. They will probably look great at 5' , but then smooth out so much at my normal 15' mark , that I still won't be able to see detail like skin blemishes.

So I think I would recommend a bigger screen at that distance so that the details in HD are still visible.

Rick

·
Registered
32 Posts
When viewing HD, I've heard a good rule of thumb is to sit 1.5~2x whatever the diagonal mesaurement of your set is. So, for a 52" set, you should sit anywhere from 6.5ft to 8.5ft away for optimal viewing. This is how I have my seating arrangement. Does anyone agree?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts