AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy with the image quality of my new Grayhawk, but I'm having problems with the shadowbox. As Grayhawk owners are aware, the filmscreen is recessed BEHIND a frame of black 1.5" x 1.5" aluminum. This creates a surface IN FRONT of the screen, perpendicular to the screen and on the inner surface of the frame. When the DILA image lights the screen, and is adjusted to match the width of the screen, the viewer can see a reflection of the image in this inside surface of the frame, even though it is painted matte black. This occurs even if there is no overscan at all. It is pretty annoying during bright scenes.

My screen size is 100"x56" with a seating distance of 15 feet, so my seats are definitely not too close to the screen.

Do any of you coat the inner surface of the frame with felt or a similar non-reflective material?

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Perry,

I believe that there is a "Velux" option on the GrayHawk that covers the aluminum frame with a velvet-like material that absorbs light.

My current screen has the problem that you mentioned, however, and I don't think that there is an electronic or optical way to fix it.

The only fix that I know of is physical...covering the screen frame with felt or velvet. I checked ALL over town for some "spray-on" velvet (like velvet in a spray-paint can), but apparently no such thing exists (as I witnessed from the raised eyebrows at Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement sales people http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Contact Stewart (search in the screens forum, there is a discussion of this problem with the phone number of a guy at stewart to call). You can buy Velux directly from Stewart for the inside of the frame and attach it yourself. This completely eliminates the reflection problem.

-jamie

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Milori, I have seen something like what you are talking about. It is a combination of spray glue and a velvet powder that can be applied to the glue. I remember seeing it in a woodworking magazine for making jewelry boxes. I will try to get some info on it.

It seems like the Velux would be better to use though, I have the Velux and it is more substantial than this stuff would be.

------------------

Scott Vonhof
Scott's Site: DIY Speakers and Theater

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I posted about the same problem with my Studiotek 130 screen in the Screens forum, and Don Stewart generously set me up with a contact who sent me the velux strips for free. Stewart is the greatest, IMO.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by belmore:
Actually, you should be able to get the Velux from Stewart for free...
Are you sure about this? When I ordered my screen from Stewart, it was additional cost. Didn't get it though.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
182 Posts
"Milori, I have seen something like what you are talking about. It is a combination of spray glue and a velvet powder that can be applied to the glue. I remember seeing it in a woodworking magazine for making jewelry boxes. I will try to get some info on it."

Wasn't this stuff, the same stuff they markted to men who were going bald? You know, just spray it on, and magicly hair reapears. lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the responses.

I'll contact Stewart and let you know what they say. Sure seems like the higher cost of a Stewart screen should include taking care of this type of "problem".

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori:

The only fix that I know of is physical...covering the screen frame with felt or velvet. I checked ALL over town for some "spray-on" velvet (like velvet in a spray-paint can), but apparently no such thing exists (as I witnessed from the raised eyebrows at Home Depot and Lowes Home Improvement sales people http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ).[/b]
You could always get the Ronco spray on hair! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
611 Posts
There is an easier and more elegant solution.

Merely insert a neutral density gray photographic filter in front of the D-ILA lens and reduce the light output to that of a 7" CRT. No more ugly reflections.

;-)

So as not to offend a CRT owner who wandered into this neigborhood; CRT owners are generally smarter, better looking, somewhat gullible and usually so old that bad eyesight masks most problems.

I will probably wish I had not said this. Cheers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The www is truly an amazing thing. Within 10 minutes, Don Stewart emailed me back with instructions to call a number at Stewart. When I called they took my screen measurements and address. They are sending me the appropriate amount of self-adhesive Velux, free. This is probably partly because my screen is less than a month old. What great service!

I don't know what the cost of the Velux would be but I bet that this info can be found by contacting Stewart ( www.stewartfilm.com ).

------------------

Perry
www.woodht.homestead.com

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know a good part of the cost for Velux is the labour involved with cutting it to size and attaching it, but I'm impressed that they'd send it to you for free. The Velux material isn't exactly inexpensive. I think the cost to add it to a screen is something like $100-300.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"So as not to offend a CRT owner who wandered into this neigborhood; CRT owners are generally smarter, better looking, somewhat gullible and usually so old that bad eyesight masks most problems.

I will probably wish I had not said this. Cheers."

Don't sweat it - it requires a sense of humor to have a CRT projector in this day and age (vs. 2 years ago!), and yes, I'm old (37). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
611 Posts
dkeller,

Not to worry, and thanks for the good humor. I am a 'recovered' CRT owner and 20+ years your senior. And CRTs do have a picture to die for. And I live with it. One day at a time.

Vince

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.