AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . other than, of course, at CES or on the internet?

I doubt that I would ever upgrade from my 10Ts, but it's been awhile since the latter have been discontinued, and I would have thought that there would be a review of the 20T, or even a sighting, beyond the prototype stuff that was shown at CES?

I see it on the Aerial website, of course, but even one person see . . . or actually hear . . . them yet?

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry, Nick, I have no answer. I want to know the answer, as well. They look promising. A search of the forum doesn't answer anything....Someone please pipe up!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Nick: high there!

FYI: in the April 2003 issue of Stereophile, there is a brief excerpt on the Aerial 20T, based on the demo session that Aerial's Michael Kelly arranged for Stereophile writers and well-known John Marks (from John Marks recordings) in Rhode Island.

The demo session consisted of the 20T playing live in a duo with fiddler Arturo Delmoni a concert for violin and pipe organ: Delmoni played the violin for the guests while the 20T took care of the pipe organ part.

The Stereophile fellows wrote that, in spite of the quite non-ideal acoustics of the room (too live), the 20T looks extremely promising. They ended the excerpt announcing an upcoming formal review of this speaker later this very year. So, stay tuned!

Finally, in the same Stereophile issue, there is a new advertisement from Aerial, in which a close-up picture shows the 20T in great detail (silver finish).

(Just in case you didn't note it: I'm an Aerial fan, too: LR5, CC5, SR3, SW12. :) ).

Best regards,

J.V.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than my subs (Velodyne HGS-18s) my system is all Aerial as well . . . 10TS, CC5, four SR3s.

Though I suppose it may be a good problem to have, I get the sense that there was too much competition within the Aerial line. Originally, the 10ts were all the rage, but then the Model 8 and the LR5 seemed to be tugging at one another . . .

As several years passed, and the "value" oriented high end crowd became saturated with Aerials, my guess is that the 20t is more of a marketing necessity than anything else . . . too many satisifed customers that would normally crave an upgrade, without anything they could really tell themselves was a step up.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If you think about it, Aerial got its start doing a "better B&W 801" with the 10T. Now that B&W has gone upscale (pricewise), the M801 no longer exists as a competitor/sales tool and Aerial is established, it seems reasonable they'd want to go on to pursue and produce their own identity. At least, that's the way I always viewed it.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Ashman
If you think about it, Aerial got its start doing a "better B&W 801" with the 10T. Now that B&W has gone upscale (pricewise), the M801 no longer exists as a competitor/sales tool and Aerial is established, it seems reasonable they'd want to go on to pursue and produce their own identity. At least, that's the way I always viewed it.
Well, they did not do a better Matrix 801 S3, and their list price was $8,000 versus the B&W Matrix $5,500, to start with. The 10Ts were grossly overpriced. Both speakers had a Class B rating in Stereophile. At $8,000 the Class B 10Ts are no match to the $8,000 Class A B&W Nautilus 802s.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Ortmans
Well, they did not do a better Matrix 801 S3, and their list price was $8,000 versus the B&W Matrix $5,500, to start with. The 10Ts were grossly overpriced. Both speakers had a Class B rating in Stereophile. At $8,000 the Class B 10Ts are no match to the $8,000 Class A B&W Nautilus 802s.
Very astutate observations. (Oh, wait . . .)

I'm sorry . . . totally unproductive subjective flame reference, inherently incapable of producing any further useful thought on the subject.

At first I couldn't tell.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got a 15 minute demo of the Aerial 20T, CC5 and SR?? surround speakers andbs 2 SW12 subs a couple of weeks ago. The front 3 speakers were driven with Krell 450CX mono blocks and the surround speakers with a Krell multi channel amp. The source and pre/pro were Krell DVD and HTS.

Visually, the 20T's are pretty big compared to the 10T. It's also much deeper. The quality and finishing is excellent but the price is pretty steep. It starts at $23K goes up to $28K depending on the finish.

I used 2 cd's and a Diana Krall DVD for the demo. In 2 channel, the 20T sounded pretty good. Sara McLaughlin's voice on the Angel track sounded very natural with very good imaging - good width and depth. The vocal was right in between the speakers. On the XRCD disc, the instruments had very good seperation. The piano and and violin sounded very detailed and airy. The bass was a little too much but it wasn't boomy. I think this might be caused by the room and not the speakers.

My wife and I thought this system sounded very similar to our setup at home. I think that might have a lot to do with the fact that we also use Krell mono blocks with our Revel Studios.

Thirty minutes prior to listeninbg to this system, we had demoed another very high end system consisting of Mark Levinson ML40, several ML 4?? mono blocks, Revel Salons, Voice, Sub 15 and Embrace system. Listening to the same Diana Krall DVD, both of us though the Aerial/Krell sounded much better. Diana Krall's voice was much smoother and more natural with the Aerial/Krell system. I think there is some wrong with the Mark Levinson/Revel setup. I had heard the ML40 and the 4?? series amps in another HT setup with Wilson speakers and it was the best HT system I have heard so far.

In comparison to the 10T's which I heard a couple of times before, the 20T's are more detailed, airy and not as warm and laid back as the 10T's.

Rich

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Douglas Ortmans
Think I hit a nerve? Geez, B&W owners are soooo touchy. However, calling the 10T overpriced is like the pot calling the brass teapot black. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think Mike Kelly wanted to make a career statement with the 20ts. These speakers were in development for years. My dealer has tried to get me to audition them but I've stayed away, I really don't want to like them:)

When you look at the business practice and strategy of Aerial as a company I really doubt marketing plays much of a role in product development. I have talked to Mr. Kelly a few times and my impression is that the only thing that drives him is a passion for perfection. I deal with "market driven" companies every day and Aerial doesn't resemble them in any way.

Ken

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I am curious though, since I just found out the PRICE on these, do even the Aerial guys here think it will be worth THAT much money? It looks like a nice speaker, but I thought it was the replacement for the 10T and was assuming a price of about $10K. I have several reservations here:

Price, clearly.

It's a 3-way, so it can't do everything.

The chose to give up on bass depth, and, at the price, I'd expect a free subwoofer thrown in!

$24,000 and they still ported it?!?

All of the drivers in the speaker couldn't add up to more than about $750 even if they're some of the most exotic drivers available. The cabinet? Is it made of something beyond MDF? Even an exotic crossover shouldn't cost more than about $100 to build. Anyone know why the stiff price?

·
Registered
504 Posts
You seemed shocked John. Ported or not has nothing to do with the quality of the speaker. Please don't don't tell me you expect a powered sub in a speaker of this quality. The cabinet work is some of the best I've ever seen, I should know as I'm in the cabinet business. I won't bother to go into a per part cost factor as neither you nor I have any idea of their true cost. I can assure you that those cabinets are very expensive to build.

I doubt there is a huge difference between the parts cost of Bentley and a Toyota and they both work well, drive what you will.

Are these speakers worth twenty thousand dollars, who knows. I suppose it depends on your wallet and ear. Were my LR5s, monitors that require stands, worth over eight thousand? Every time I turn them on I'd say they are but that's just my ears and wallet speaking.

Ken

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Well, I should say that I believe that ported design is a compromise I expect on less expensive efforts. I know lots of people will disagree with that, so lets take THAT off the table.

I guess I'm more asking if this is a "limited production statement" model for a wealthy few? For instance many speaker companies build *essentially* the best they can build and then build a model that costs more than double that is literally designed to appeal to people who have "too much" money and want to own a "statement" by that company. Meridian DSP8000s, Wilson Grand Slamms, JMlab Grand Utopias all come to mind.

IOW, is the speculation that a "15T" or "11T" will come out at real world prices with just a little less "elaboration"? With some of the really good speakers costing more like $10K, I would think that would be the true target and the 20T is there to attract attention to the brand.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've auditioned them for fun, and they do sound amazning. Worth $24000 to me? No, I'd rether buy the 7Bs for $5, and just may. However, if I were bringing in a half million a year, then I actually probably would own these speakers. The sound on them was deep, wide, acurate, and has the one quality that I think makes Aerials perfect for me, you can listen to them for a week and never get tired. When I do my two channel system, I'm pretty convinced it will be with Aerial speakers, but unfotunately $24000 is not in the cards. (the cabinet build is rather amzing, and looks like it is probably very expensive, they are HUGE speakers)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hi Guys,

Yes the Aerial 20T's look mighty impressive.

So what about the 30T's??? Did Aerial decide to ditch them?

I came across this today:

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2...mage_025.shtml

The 30's look identical to the 20's but with larger woofers...

They must have decided against the 30's.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Stokes
Ported or not has nothing to do with the quality of the speaker.
True but it is difficult to get a flat bass response in such a design. I have to admit I too was surprised when I saw that it was ported.

Chris

·
Registered
555 Posts
John,

The 20T isn't a replacement for the 10T. From what I understand there is a 10T 2 in the works to list around 12K. Personally I own 2 pairs of 10T's (the 2nd is the very last pair sold by Arial :) ), a CC5 and SR3's mated to a Rel Staduim III sub and couldn't be happier. I have no urge whatsoever to upgrade these speakers. A little unusual around here but true (for now) :)

On another note the most recent 10T's started at $7,000 not $8,000 and were given a A rating recently (last few yearss) in SGTH (not that that really matters) I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmont
True but it is difficult to get a flat bass response in such a design. I have to admit I too was surprised when I saw that it was ported.
Chris,

This is an odd statement to make. There is absolutely nothing that precludes a high-end, well-designed speaker from using a port, nor is it very difficult to make a sealed woofer have a non-flat response. Yes, the port and driver alignment may be more difficult to get right than a sealed woofer, but there are so many other design considerations that may favor a ported speaker. Considering Aerial's past success in designing good speakers and Michael Kelly's high competence in general, I think there are very engineering good reasons for the 20T being the way it is.

--Andre

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.