AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking it would be cool to have one of those old 1950's style jukeboxes. But I checked ebay, and some online retailers, and for a Wurlitzer 1015 (bubbler) CD jukebox, they want $3,000 to $6,000

It got me thinking...

I have an old A/V reciever and a pair of bookshelf speakers sitting around collecting dust. All I would need is a 100-400 disc CD changer for around 2-3 hundred bucks.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this, or have any ideas how it could be done? I was thinking it could be mostly made out of wood, and some semi-transparent plastic panels for the light-up parts with flourescent lights behind them, and some rope-lights on the outside or something. I'm not sure how the "bubbler" mechanism would be recreated though.

-Scot

·
Registered
295 Posts
Scott, not long ago the bubblers were going for $15,000 to $25,000 in mint restored condition. If you're serious about a DIY machine there are many of the parts available as reproductions for the Wurlitzer and Seeburg machines. You could use these for the parts you can't make yourself. The bubble tubes are filled with carbon tetrochloride, which boils at very low temp. The heat to boil comes from a light bulb at the bottom of the tube. These tubes are available as repro parts.:cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, I didn't know that they actually boiled the liquid in the tubes. I was thinking of using an air pump from an aquarium and regulating it via some kind of valve to get the correct amount of airflow, then filling the tubes with water or a more viscous fluid like oil.

Building the frame of the machine wouldn't be hard for me, since I'm pretty handy with woodworking, but the trim peices might give me trouble. I just might have to check out buying spare parts from the manufacturer, unless I can "MacGyver" something cheaper from Home Depot :D

-Scot

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Scott,

I wanted to tell you about a website I found while trying to search for some arcade cabinet designs.

Background:

I knew of some arcade machine emulator software that you could install and let you play the actual arcade game "ROMS" on your pc. One of the most popular programs is called MAME. Well, what some people have been doing, is finding an old arcade machine and restoring it, and installing a computer in the case to play MAME games, or they have been building the cases from scratch.

On to now:

The sites I found that may help you get started are:

http://www.cybertechdesign.net/mameroom/

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why limit yourself to 400 cds?

You guys need to head over the HTPC threads....

I think that's Media Center 9 and Mario's Music Lobby and Frontend. The buttons could be hardwired to a keyboard controller out of a scrap keyboard. A computer in a DIY cabinet could fill the bill. I myself bought a touchscreen 15" kiosk style crt monitor off of Ebay to use with Mario's programs. And grab a copy of www.exactaudiocopy.de and you can rip music to hard drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.