AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out my Sony STRDE935, though I could have made it work if it only had one more S-Video input on the TV/Sat input. (had none).

After I pulled it, I was looking at the back panel and there's certainly room for the s-jack to be there. So I opened it up and pulled the s-video switching board. Sure enough, the board has the pattern etched for an S-input there, it's just not stuffed. I traced it back to the JRC video switching chips and everything else is there, all the resistors, capacitors are stuffed.

The only thing it needs is a jack and a hole drilled in the back panel.

Wish I had done this before, I could have saved myself $600.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nuke
I just swapped out my Sony STRDE935, though I could have made it work if it only had one more S-Video input on the TV/Sat input. (had none).

After I pulled it, I was looking at the back panel and there's certainly room for the s-jack to be there. So I opened it up and pulled the s-video switching board. Sure enough, the board has the pattern etched for an S-input there, it's just not stuffed. I traced it back to the JRC video switching chips and everything else is there, all the resistors, capacitors are stuffed.

The only thing it needs is a jack and a hole drilled in the back panel.

Wish I had done this before, I could have saved myself $600.
Most likely what you stumbled into was that the original Video PCB was used for other stepup models that had more inputs. In todays' fast moving product development timelines the engineers will design a platform using "common" PCBs, and from this platform multiple models are built. For example, MODEL AVR1 may have 3 S-Video inputs and MODEL AVR 2 could have 4 S-Video inputs, so the PCB is design for 4 but ONLY 3 are used for the lower model. However the CPU software is slightly different due to more inputs, also the same efficiencies can be done for a DSP PCB.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by M Code
Most likely what you stumbled into was that the original Video PCB was used for other stepup models that had more inputs. In todays' fast moving product development timelines the engineers will design a platform using "common" PCBs, and from this platform multiple models are built.
Yup, I'm sure that's it exactly. The thing that ticks me off is that everything is there, except the jack. Switch signals are all there and everything.

I guess someone's spreadsheet said they could save $1.43 per receiver and make $500,000 more on the production run.

·
Registered
770 Posts
SVideo switchers are getting very cheap now, and give you 4 - in, 1 - out (or vice versa) capability. There is a picture of an early Sony model in my hobby pics. Way cheaper than a new receiver. JR

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure *I* can live with an external switch, but maintaining domestic tranquility means one-touch remote operation of the whole deal, or it's back to TV speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.