AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was turning on my Replay 5xxx series today, and went to the Replay guide to pick a show to watch. As soon as I selected the show and selected 'play', the Replay crashed. At that point I started feeling sick...thinking I was about to become another 'victim' of the endless re-boots or another one of the problems some are having with the 5xxx series. I've been lucky to not have any problems except the 'audio hiss' issue. *BTW, I have some updated info on that, but won't post it here as this is too long already.

Back to the issue at hand: I sat there looking at the 'please wait' screen, and then the 'welcome' screen came up relieving some anxiety. All seemed fine, but when I went back to try and watch that show again; same problem. It only happened on that show, so I figured the file had become corrupted. But before deleting the show, I tried again, only this time I chose 'play from beginning'. It works fine. My only theory on why this happened is that the show was right at the point of a CA, which I verified by noting the time of the recording when the crash occurred. So maybe the OS freaks out if you happen to be right at the point of a CA when you play back something? It's the only time it's ever happened to me; the only time my machines ever unexpectedly crashed at all.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Yes I had this problem before, but kinda different.

My show was a show that was corrupted for the first 10 minutes. Just so happened my wife was watching the show as it was recording and turned it off midway. So the replay picked up where it left off the next time power came on.

I brought up the guide and tried to play from start.... crash. Tried again.... crash. What the?!?! I just saw it working! So I tried to do a Play, without the "from start" it was working from the point I had see when I powered up the replay.

The curious guy I am I rewound the show by hand until somewhere around the 10 minute mark. At that point the rewind stops, the screen went black and the display of the time didn't update like it normally does on a rewind.

DVArchive I think had a problem downloading the show, although this could have donwloaded correctly and only playback had a problem?! It was a while ago. Maybe I could just find my post... hold on....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=262320

Damn, I'm getting pretty good with this searching!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your problem definitely sounds like a corrupt file. I think I recall when I first got my 5040 (about 4 months ago), I had a similar problem...not sure, but it sounds familiar.

This is different though, the file played back fine from beginning to end, including the CA, once I played it back from the beginning. I really think it was just a coincidence (and a rare one), that the show just happened to be stopped in the exact moment when the CA was kicking in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.