AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question in other threads...

Has anyone with one of the Toshiba or Samsung DLP's attempted to connect the TV up to their PC and record HD content from it?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Nobody should be able to record from 1394 ports on the sets. The only thing that the 1394 port really works with is D-VHS and firewire equipped camcorders. Those ports are usually one way communication devices.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to know whether or not it would be useless for me to worry about purchasing an HDTV with Built-in IEE1394. I am able to capture HD content off of my Motorola 6xxx series HD box using the firewire cable, I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same with a TV.

More and more manufacturers are starting to include iee1394 firewire with their Micro-display RPTV's. I believe Sony was the first along with RCA and Mitsubishi

ANyways, the reason why I ask is because here I am surfing Bestbuy's site, and I happen upon the LG 52 inch and 62 DLP units, and the Toshiba 52 and 62 inch DLP's and JVC's ILA, all with IEEE 1394.

I am reading the add for the Toshiba 62 inch DLP and two things immediately stand out to me...

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interfaces allow high-speed digital communication with other IEEE 1394 devices, such as digital camcorders, DVD recorders and digital set-top boxes

and

TV Guide On Screen program guide provides a comprehensive list of viewings; one-touch HD recording and live pause/rewind capability (optional Toshiba Symbio A/V hard drive recorder required; not included)

Does that not suggest that recording can be done via firewire port?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I am assuming that ieee1394 with DTV capability is 2-way communication because BB's description for the Samsung HLR5067W says:

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) DV interface allows high-speed digital communication with other IEEE 1394 devices, such as camcorders, digital video recorders and computers

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It won't work because that type of connection currently doesn't have a way to secure the connection. Where are you storing that hd content from your motorola cable box? If you can use that don't worry about the one on the set. I was going to a firewire equipped hd set but found that all models will only accept input from d-vhs, and camcorders. I haven't found a satellite reciever or cable box that outputs hd content through a firewire to the tv. All those devices you mentioned will be sending a signal to the tv, not the other way around.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You should be able to record what ever the set will tune to D-VHS from firewire. My Mits even has a timer in the set for it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
D-vhs is the only exception. The only problem is that D-vhs is something very people own. And I think he is trying to store hd content to a hard drive medium.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I have been able to record OTA HD broadcasts from my Mits. DLP to my DVHS deck... cablecard is another story, though...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
At the Mitsubishi dealer training I went to last week, they said you would be able to record via firewire from the integrated HD tuner (OTA or cablecard) to their Blu-Ray recorder.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
well, the current DLP sets do not properly send the tuned stream from the cablecard over the firewire link to allow them to work with their DVHS decks. What happens is that usually cable companies put several HD subchannels under a single channel. The set sends the whole channel over the link rather than stripping off the tuned subchannel and sending that only over the link. OTA broadcasts are limited to around 20Mbps and that does not exceed the DVHS limits, but cablecard/QAM tuner does exceed the DVHS limit depending on the number of subchannels under a single channel

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
It won't work because that type of connection currently doesn't have a way to secure the connection. Where are you storing that hd content from your motorola cable box? If you can use that don't worry about the one on the set. I was going to a firewire equipped hd set but found that all models will only accept input from d-vhs, and camcorders. I haven't found a satellite reciever or cable box that outputs hd content through a firewire to the tv. All those devices you mentioned will be sending a signal to the tv, not the other way around.

I am storing it to PC harddrive.

What I am doing is building a nice HTPC to record HD broadcast via firewire.

I don't want to have to pay $20.00 a month to rent HD boxes from the cable company when I would just have to pay $5.00 for a nice Cable card....

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Everything I've read about firewire states that you can't record hd material from the 1394 port to your personal PC. They let you record on the rented HD boxes because it will be a secure connection and you have to return the box eventually. There may be a way record on your pc via 1394 but it's probably some hacking that has been done to get it to work. Firewire isn't getting the attention it deserves because the MPAA doesn't recognize it as a secure connection. Broadcasters and such want to be able to control where and how you make copies of their digital/hd material. They can do that with HDMI/DVI, but can't with firewire. If you could make a digital copy of HD material onto your pc, you could then make endless digital copies of that material and spread it around the world (not saying you personally would do that). With hdmi and dvi they can prevent you from making digital copies to non-hdcp compliant devices. The hd box you have to rent is probably an HDCP compliant device.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like I mentioned before, I have one of the motorola 6xxx boxes and I am able to (using the firewire port on the HD box and the one on my PC) record HD content directly to my PC's harddrive per the instructions found in one of the other threads. I am good to g o in that aspect, but I am seeking to buy one of the Toshiba TV's with the built-in firewire ports and Cable Card Digital cable access....

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You won't be able to do it. Mitsubishi also has the same firewire ports and all they will allow you to do is connect to d-vhs or camcorders. That's why I avoided those sets. It would have been a waste to pay for a connection I can't utilize.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi
You won't be able to do it. Mitsubishi also has the same firewire ports and all they will allow you to do is connect to d-vhs or camcorders. That's why I avoided those sets. It would have been a waste to pay for a connection I can't utilize.

When it comes to the Mitsubishi DLP's and using D-VHS with it, why would a TV only support playback of d-vhs? Why would it not support recording as well? I know all about the FCC's recording restrictions, but that is why there is D-VHS tapes and recorders. So that people can record HD....

·
Registered
78 Posts
From HTPC forum threads, you would have to add an HDTV tuner to your PC and then add a driver to make your HTPC look like a DVHS player. Then you are able to play back programs you recorded on your HTPC through 1394.

I have also read on one of the Mits threads, that the new Mits sets can recognize an external 1394 hard drive with content on it and play the content.

I wish that I could record to a 1394 hard drive. But I guess that it would take some extra smarts in the set to encode a show using 5C encryption and then send it to a 1394 hard disk. (Then again this might not be the case and I might just know enough to be dangerous) :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
With D-VHS software you run on your PC, you can in fact record OTA from a Mits. set that has firewire. I myself have not done so, but there are a few members here that have. Check the Mitsubishi 725 owners thread... there are a few posts in there.

Also, the mits. firewire ports support 5C encryption, so any copy protection issues are handled and recording is possible as long as the broadcasst flags are set accordingly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp
With D-VHS software you run on your PC, you can in fact record OTA from a Mits. set that has firewire. I myself have not done so, but there are a few members here that have. Check the Mitsubishi 725 owners thread... there are a few posts in there.

Also, the mits. firewire ports support 5C encryption, so any copy protection issues are handled and recording is possible as long as the broadcasst flags are set accordingly.

THAT IS WHAT I AM WANTING TO HEAR!!!

I just want to make sure of it... thanks UMD_TERP....

I wish someone would start up a thread about this... and get it done....

I was in Barney Miller's this afternoon, looking at TV's and of course saw a couple of TV's that caught my eye...

If anyone else has anything else to add to this subject please do so..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.