AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I have a new Sammy PN50B650(84 lbs) arriving Tuesday, and needed to get something fast and inexpensive.

I want at least 20" of height since this would place the bottom of the screen at about the same position as the outgoing Toshiba RP we have.

I found this LACK "TV unit" at Ikea.com for $49 which fits my width requirements but is only 13" tall with legs attached.

So, I thought if I were to stack another identical unit on top of it minus the legs that would prolly get me to the perfect height. I'd of course secure it properly.

Here is a pic of the said unit:

Each unit is rated for up to 140lbs so that shouldn't be an issue.

I just worry that the internal support rods are placed to where the center section would be the only usable space.

I could change that if necessary too.

Just wondered if anyone here has dabbled with this idea?

It seems like a fairly low cost solution, but I have yet to see the item in person.

thanks,

franco

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks jp,

the only problem i have with those other options is the width is too narrow.

The Sammy is 48.5" wide, the widest I 've seen in those other units is 47 1/4", not sure if that would be noticably odd or not with the overhang of .6 of an inch on each side.

Also, my first choice was the Besta unit you had listed, but its max load is 66 lbs.

Think it's possible to fortify the unit with some bracing? or with the metal frame that they have as an option in the Besta section?

thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i stacked two of these for one of my tv's... that would get you almost exactly the 20 inches in height that you want.

both my sets slightly overhang their stands, and i don't think they look "funny" in any way... ymmv...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17049092

i stacked two of these for one of my tv's... that would get you almost exactly the 20 inches in height that you want.

both my sets slightly overhang their stands, and i don't think they look "funny" in any way... ymmv...

thanks chris.

after re-measuring the height of the old unit and realizing that the new Sammy has a pretty short stature, I ended up going with the taller and less expensive 2 Lack units pictured above but in black/brown color. Figured I may need the counter space if/when I add spkrs. Also if I should ever upgrade to a larger 54" or 58" set in the future, this should accomodate that, but that's a pipe dream for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooomi /forum/post/17055766

I hope you are near enough to pick it up. I was going to order the same one from Ikea, but they wanted almost $300 to get it to me.

Just picked 2 up tonight. They were pretty heavy so I can see where they'd be pricey to ship.

I'll be assembling the unit tommorow hopefully in time for the CEVA delivery scheduled for Tues as well.

If all goes well(fingers crossed) with the Sammy, I'll post some pics of the setup this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the pics as mentioned above. I think it all went fairly well, the stand doesn't look too gerry-rigged. For less than $100, I can't complain.

Very happy with the Sammy, no buzzing(knock wood)!

Excellent picture, much better than these pics show.

Wish the TOC bezel had a little more color like last year's models, but still looks very nice.

A big THANK YOU to jp, chris and doomi!

For anyone considering using the Lack units, the internal metal support rods are not fixed in place. You just slide them into position. This is helpful if you happen to have extra wide equpment.

I took 2 of the spare 4 wooden legs and placed them under the unit for added strength in the center.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
looks great!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought 60 inch LCD and was thinking of doing same set up like u...I wanted to know what is the height from floor to top shelf?

Did u stack 2nd unit on top of other unit, use any reinforcement like glue, extra screw?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm having fits finding reasonably priced thoughtfully designed (space for center channel, more than 47 inches wide, etc.) av furniture.

Franco, what is the height of the shelf area? Also, what is the height of the entire unit as you have configured it?

Ikea has the right idea, but the size is too narrow for a 50 inch tv and they ignore lcr speakers.

This would be great!

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
what would glue do what is going ot make that shelf wiggle

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiege /forum/post/18394180

I'm having fits finding reasonably priced thoughtfully designed (space for center channel, more than 47 inches wide, etc.) av furniture.

Franco, what is the height of the shelf area? Also, what is the height of the entire unit as you have configured it?

Ikea has the right idea, but the size is too narrow for a 50 inch tv and they ignore lcr speakers.

This would be great!

Thanks,

Jason

Another place to check for stands is www.racksandstands.com

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco7x /forum/post/17062070

Here are the pics as mentioned above. I think it all went fairly well, the stand doesn't look too gerry-rigged. For less than $100, I can't complain.

Very happy with the Sammy, no buzzing(knock wood)!

Excellent picture, much better than these pics show.

Wish the TOC bezel had a little more color like last year's models, but still looks very nice.

A big THANK YOU to jp, chris and doomi!

For anyone considering using the Lack units, the internal metal support rods are not fixed in place. You just slide them into position. This is helpful if you happen to have extra wide equpment.

I took 2 of the spare 4 wooden legs and placed them under the unit for added strength in the center.

Nice job. When you put the second unit on top, did you remove the legs? If so, how do they remove? Did you secure the top unit to the bottom unit somehow? Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone been able to modify the inner shelf to make it higher to accomodate larger receivers and center channel speakers? I am considering taking mine apart and making the side supports taller by adding the legs from Ikea's Lack side table (same color/finish). I realise the load rating may be sacrificed here, so I will no longer use the bench to support a TV (that will be wall mounted instead).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts