AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I knew better, but did it anyway. I was mounting my TV on the wall. The connection space was really tight, but I thought I could get away with making the connection. My bad, the connector on the TV and on the wire both broke. The TV has two HDMI connectors, so no big deal. The HDMI cable runs 60 ft, though soffits, around a corner, behind a wall, through a weight bearing joist, and above a ceiling. I found a solder on HDMI connector online.

Back to the question: has anyone actually repaired/replaced a damaged connector.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Recommend you use a small soldering iron with a pointed tip (perferably temperature controlled) and use small diameter solder. If you haven't done much soldering, do some practicing with small stranded wires, similar to the diameter of the HDMI cable wires. Use a small amount of rosin flux on the wires and connector prior to soldering. Use a minumum amount of solder to make the connections. If the solder covers the wire but you can still see the outline of the wire strands after you've soldered, then you have a good joint.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutschow /forum/post/15595576

Recommend you use a small soldering iron with a pointed tip (perferably temperature controlled) and use small diameter solder. If you haven't done much soldering, do some practicing with small stranded wires, similar to the diameter of the HDMI cable wires. Use a small amount of rosin flux on the wires and connector prior to soldering. Use a minumum amount of solder to make the connections. If the solder covers the wire but you can still see the outline of the wire strands after you've soldered, then you have a good joint.

I used to be OK . . . back in the old days, but I'm a bit rusty now. I ordered two connectors this AM (a spare, just in case)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Hopefully, you have a bit of slack in the cable to work with. (If you're not good at this sort of thing, it may pay to hire someone to terminate it for you. Since it's such a long run, I'm thinking it's more likely for iffy fixes to show up as image anomalies. Not that I would know anything about such fixes, since I've never done that either.
)

If you do manage to fix it, you might want to invest in some right-angle port savers or something.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/15605131

If you do manage to fix it, you might want to invest in some right-angle port savers or something.

Already done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts