AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this baby at infocomm in horrible lighting conditions with animation playing.

It is rated at 2000 lumens but has the exact same contrast of 400:1 as the LP350. So while the whites are brighter, so are the blacks.

The projector contains the faroudja/sage chip. But I've heard, the projector is not targetted at home theater audiences. This leads me to ask, so why the heck include the sage chip?

Overall, I'm not real excited about the LP530. Although, I'd really like to test it against my LP350 given the opportunity.

--Les

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
I called Infocus to inquire about what digital connections they planned to use for hdtv. I asked which projector they recommended for hometheater. They said the 530 and gave me a date and price. I am holding a grudge against Texas Instruments for promising the movie industry that consumer products would not be as good as what they are offering them. So, I am not excited.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bulldogger:

What was the price and the arrival date. Also did you find out the wheel colour scheme? Some people say it is rgbwrgbw, other people say rgbrgb, and yet I have seen it as rgbrgbrgb.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and confusion regarding this projector. But I agree with Arrow in that, why put a Faroudja chip if this projector is not going to be for home theatre. I am sure accountants and power point office users do not care much care if some lines exhibit some jaggies.

------------------

cai

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Projector Central lists the MSRP at $4999 with a July 2001 release date...but your guess is as good as mine if this is accurate.

These specs look very interesting:
Quote:
Light in weight Ñ 5.7 pounds (standard); 6.5 pounds (w/module).

Compact size Ñ 10.25 inches x 11 inches x 3.34 inches (standard); 10.25 inches x 12 inches x 3.34 inches (w/module).

Great-looking Ñ sleek, modular design.

Native XGA Ñ 1024x768 resolution.

Exceptional video Ñ Integrated Faroudja technology featuring DCDiª for smooth and natural-looking images.

Beyond-bright Ñ 2000 lumens projects truly stunning images in any setting.

Zoom lens, digital keystone correction, and elevator foot Ñ ensures perfect image size, focus, and position.

Easy to connect Ñ uses M1-DA analog connector with USB.

Whisper quiet Ñ less than 39dB for distraction-free viewing.

Display: DLPª technology from Texas Instruments

Native Resolution: XGA (1024x768)

Data Compatibility: VGA, SVGA, XGA, SXGA, Macintosh¨, 1080i/720p HDTV compatible

Video Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, PAL-M, and PAL-N

Contrast Ratio: 400:1

Projection Lens: manual zoom lens

Throw Ratio: 1.2:1

Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Light Source: 270 Watt SHP, 2000 hour lamp life

Minimum Projection Distance: 5 feet (1.5m)

Image size (diagonal): 0.90m to 3.6m

INPUT

Input Sources (standard): Computer (M1-DA), Video (S-video and RCA), Audio (3.5mm mini jack)

Input Sources (w/module): Computer 1 (M1-DA with 3.5mm Audio), Computer 2 (VESA with 3.5mm

Audio), Video 1 (S-video), Video 2 (RCA), Video 3 (Component RCA),

Stereo Audio (RCA), RS-232, hard-wired remote

Digital Keystone Correction: +/- 20 degrees

Control: RS-232 and USB

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I spent some time with the product manager at the show and yes, I am very excited about the 530. Some points:

-- Faroudja chip (as mentioned). I have seen this chip demoed by Faroudja and it very good. Infocus previously used the Genesis chip set according to the product manager BTW.

-- elimination of "halo" effect that many have noted about the 340/350

-- color wheel is RGBW but W turns off during video

-- gamma and color correction settings. These were not included in the LP350. While I could not see this at the show due to the lighting conditions, it looks promising.

-- the colors. Looking at a color screen that was the same one used in the shoot-out, the 530 had the best colors of any single-chip DLP at the show. (The 530 was not in the shoot-out). The yellows were excellent.

The STREET PRICE of the 530 is expected to be about 4995 BTW. I believe this is about where it is currently being quoted. projectorcentral.com has incorrectly IMHO put this number in their DB as the MSRP.

For my purposes and price point, the LP530 was the most interesting thing I saw at Infocomm. (I also liked the PLV-60 but it is an LCD and I generally prefer DLP. And, of course, the JVC QXGA DILA stole the show but I don't have 250K to spend, do you?) I would of course have to see it under better conditions etc. before formally recommending it; I would also want to see the PLV-60 up close.

Infocus has rather consistently had the best value in projectors for HT use IMHO. So let's see what this new guy will do.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
The woman that I spoke with at Infocus told me that the suggest retail price of the projector was 7300.00. However she added that they would be selling them from their website for 5300.00. I did not know they did direct sells but that's what I was told. After speaking with several companies about a digital connection most including Infocus felt that it would be at least 5 years before hdtv would be sent through a digital only connection. Is Infocus a U.S. company and where are the projectors manufactured? It would be nice to buy an American designed and made projector. That might change my grudge against TI.

------------------

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Oh while I am on the subject. I called Sony for days and was given "the run around." No one even knew about a digital connection for a projector. I explained that the new HDTV sets had I-link Sony's name for firewire. I was told,"Coporate makes those decisions and we don't know anything about that." My next question was how do I get in touch with someone that would know. Answer: "They did not know who to direct me to and sorry that they could not help me, could I help you with somthing else?" At least at Infocus, I spoke with someone very quickly who knew something about the projectors that they sold. Sony really sucked. I think I dislike Sony more than TI.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sparco.com has the LP530 listed at $4749 with a July 10 availablity date.

Too bad the clear section cannot be turned off for HTPC use.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
WRT turning of the clear section, I mentioned to the product manager that more things about the machine should be put into software setup. I mentioned the clear section, and also the automatic anamorphic correction applied to HDTV sources; I'm sure that there are others.

His response was that adding software setup features was costly.

This was the only comment he made that I thought was inaccurate or even worse. As a software professional, I really can't believe that pulling settings into their menus would be very expensive.

They have at least put gamma and RGB color settings into the menus.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Archangel, I really can't give you any more information. As I said, the lighting was awful. They had track lighting pointed right at the screen that must have contained 60 watt bulbs. So the picture was totally washed out. Also, almost all DLP projetors I've seen do very well with an animation source.

rlsmith, as an LP350 owner, I wish I could share your enthusiasm. How do you reconcile that they improved brightness by 50%, but the contrast ratio stays the same? This is real letdown for me since the blacks on the LP350 aren't that deep to begin with. For instance the LT150 I tested had noticeably deeper blacks.

Any idea what they did to improve yellows? I fully expect that I'll run the website test and see olive dlp yellows again and that HDTV will contain skin colors that tend toward green.

The faroudja chip is interesting, but I'm wondering what is actually improved since the scaler is already very good in the LP350. The company name alone doesn't do anything to excite me.

Anyone know the street price on the input module? If I remember correctly, the LP530 had only the one DVI input without the input module so we'll all need to buy the input module. I could be remembering incorrectly though so feel free to correct me.

--Les

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
Anyone know the street price on the input module? If I remember correctly, the LP530 had only the one DVI input without the input module so we'll all need to buy the input module. I could be remembering incorrectly though so feel free to correct me.--Les
Les,

The website says : MSLP $6499 base unit, $6999 w/module.

The base unit has DVI, S-Video & Composite.

Module adds Computer2 (VESA) and Component video.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
arrow,

Based on the demo I saw at Infocomm, I really can't say how the contrast/brightness issues are going to be resolved. I will have to get the machine into a controlled environment first.

The machine does seem to respond to some of the concerns of the HT community so I am willing to give it a chance.

The unfortunate thing is that, from an engineering perspective, a very few changes to these Infocus machines would produce a dynamite HT projector at a fraction of the cost of the machines built for HT. All of us on this forum realize this. They come so close.

I do think that the gap is closing, and that the 530 may be better than its precursors.

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
"...very few changes to these Infocus machines would produce a dynamite HT projector at a fraction of the cost of the machines built for HT..."

I thought that Infocus said that the 530 was *not* their still-to-be-announced HT projector. Perhaps it has the Sage chip because a modified (rgbrgbrgb colorwheel?) version of the 530 is to be their HT model.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
297 Posts
After being an LP350 owner for 6 months, the area which seems to need the most improvement is related to image blurring during pan scenes or other rapid motion. If I understand the technology correctly, it sounds like the Faroudja chip might improve this.

Improved contrast and getting rid of the halo would be an important improvement also. I have fortunately never seen the rainbow effect, so I wouldn't notice an improvement here.

Dave

·
Registered
412 Posts
Does anyone here use the InFocus LP930? It seems to be very bright (3200 lumens) and I'm curious how it peforms/compares to others in the same price range.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
297 Posts
I notice that the projector has the capability to accept component input using the optional module. Would this be an improvement over S-video considering that the Faroudja chip is supposed to enhance the picture considerably, and the LP350 already has a decent picture? Would the only improvement be in color?

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone side-by-sided the LP530 or LP350 vs the Seleco HT250?? The Seleco model doesn't have the brightness to match, but is rated at >600:1 contrast ratio. The LP530 plus a Panamorph or IMX930-VT lens might be a spectacular combo though, with a total price tag of <$7K.

Dr D

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
drl574,

Alas, the 530 is not fully "Panamorphable". This is because the 530 automatically resizes 720P and 1080i.

The 530 is "Panamorphable" for DVD's however.

[This is one of the annoying things missing from the 530 that could be added very easily by firmware changes. Just another switch.]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
The 530 is "Panamorphable" for DVD's however.
Through DVI, RGB and Component?

BTW, anyone know which inputs, if any, bypass the sage chip?

--Les

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.