AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts re. the poor sound quality (sometimes described as "thin" or out of phase) from the Bravo D1 coax digital out, which said the problem was solved (or reduced) by switching to the optical out.

My question is: since DVD digital audio output is simply a digital bitstream; unless the DVD player has an improperly-designed circuit (too-slow rise times, misshapen waveforms, etc), shouldn't the audio out signal be the same across all players, and the sound dependent on the processor/amps/spkrs? Has anyone experienced sound quality variations/problems with other players?

Thanx.

·
Registered
193 Posts
you're right........they're both digital, so should sound the same. But, parts used, such as the digital coax connector (on receiver) is different from the optical connector (on receiver). Otherwise you could plug either one into the other's input. Also, digital coax is wire inside the rubber cable jacket, which is more susceptible to interference, than an optical cable, which is a light transmitting fiber, inside the cable jacket. So, I guess these differences can possibly make a difference in the sound of each..............?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.